Escape meets Ollie - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2016, 10:30 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
It does look like a Toureg. Haven't had a VW since the '71 Super Beetle I had in grad school (loved that little bug). Maybe we need to locate a VW dealer and take a look. They could probably use the business these days.
Yeah, blowing a few billion dollars must make a company want more sales, of the models they're still allowed to sell.

If you are interested in the Touareg, you could also check out the the Audi Q7 and Porsche Cayenne; they're variants of the same vehicle, with the same towing capability... but even more expensive, of course.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
The Oliver seems very high end to me (that slide out battery compartment!)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
A number of Casita owners have modified the battery compartment to include a sliding tray for the battery. So, you don't need to buy a $45,000+ trailer to have that
The slide is an easy addition, as long as there is enough spare height (which would be an issue with the 21'/5.0TA under-seat location). The bigger issue might be the access hatch in the shell, depending on the specific location.

It is nice to be able to get at the batteries without digging into interior cabinetry, and to keep the battery compartment separated from the interior. My fifth-wheel trailer has an outside-accessed compartment for the batteries, which are on a slide, which is certainly helpful. It would be interesting to see this done in an Escape.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:37 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
That storage box is my $50 home built. Documented somewhere on my "A few modifications to my 19" thread.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:39 AM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

It is nice to be able to get at the batteries without digging into interior cabinetry, and to keep the battery compartment separated from the interior. My fifth-wheel trailer has an outside-accessed compartment for the batteries, which are on a slide, which is certainly helpful. It would be interesting to see this done in an Escape.
Nice feature of the 19. My two batteries are in the tongue box, easy access, out of harms way and no issues of venting.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:29 AM   #25

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Oliver Legacy II dry weight = 4,600 lb (approx.). Tongue weight = 420 lb (approx.). So what kind of rear suspension does the Touareg have to handle that much tongue weight, and why can't Subaru do something close to that with their Outback (hitch max = paltry 200 lb)?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:45 AM   #26

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I'm guessing if you tried towing with the Subaru about 50 miles down the road the car would pull itself apart.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:01 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I'm guessing if you tried towing with the Subaru about 50 miles down the road the car would pull itself apart.
We own a Subaru . Would never think of towing with our SUV . We have a truck to tow our 19 . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:26 PM   #28

Quote:
Oliver Legacy II dry weight = 4,600 lb (approx.). Tongue weight = 420 lb (approx.). So what kind of rear suspension does the Touareg have to handle that much tongue weight, and why can't Subaru do something close to that with their Outback (hitch max = paltry 200 lb)?
A typical multi-link independent suspension - nothing exceptional, but thoroughly modern and with substantial components suited to the purpose and intended load. The Touareg's maximum tongue weight is another couple hundred pounds higher than that 420 pound dry tongue weight for the Oliver Legacy II, which is good because when loaded for travel the trailer will have more tongue weight.

Another similar vehicle which has similar capacity would be the Jeep Grand Cherokee / Dodge Durango; that one has a similar rear suspension.

I'm not the best Touareg spotter, but that looks like the 2011-2015 generation, which is 150 mm (6") longer in wheelbase than a current Outback, over 100 mm (4") wider, and probably substantially heavier. The Touareg (along with the Q7 and Cayenne) is likely to be chosen for towing in Europe as it is relatively large and powerful among vehicles commonly sold there, and the most capable towing platform in the VW/Audi/Porsche lineup, and so it is equipped to meet that purpose; I don't think the Outback is particularly targeted at towing.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:04 PM   #29

Quote:
I should of said you do not need a truck to tow with but a tow vehicle that is substantial to what you are towing .Remember there is a lot more to towing brakes ,transmission , suspension etc. I believe it is also a good idea to have even a little extra with the tow vehicle for safety reasons . Have had in past scarey situation, towing a tent trailer with f-100 truck and being cut off and we thought we were doomed . You never know . Pat
Old 06-17-2016, 09:37 AM   #30

Trailer: 2016 Oliver Elite II
Miron, I enjoyed meeting you at Mesa Verde and showing you my 2016 Oliver Elite II. I've read the comments and I agree--choosing a camper is a very personal decision. One thing we can all agree on--molded fiberglass trailers are the best! It's a good thing that we have a number of great alternatives including Escape, Casita and Oliver. I hope to run into you again down the road.
iowahusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:43 AM   #31

Trailer: 2016 Oliver Elite II
My tow vehicle pictured in Myron's post is a 2015 VW Touareg TDI. It has a towing capacity of 7700 lbs. I have had no issues towing the Oliver. I'm able to maintain speeds of 60 to 65 mph on any mountain passes I've encountered in Colorado and Utah during this trip. I also enjoyed touring the 4-wheel drive roads in Canyonlands (without the Oliver) this week with a couple in a Jeep Renegade. It's a versatile vehicle.
iowahusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:46 AM   #32

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Hey Iowa Dave, looks like there's an Ollie only half hour or so from you!
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:10 AM   #33

Right back at ya, Don. (...Oops, 2016 Oliver.) Still amazed by them TWO awnings.
Attached Thumbnails
MesaV080.jpg  
Old 06-17-2016, 11:00 AM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Am struck by how far back the Oliver seems from the tow vehicle. Is that an illusion Myron or is there some kind of extension piece?
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:11 AM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
Hitch on mine is rated for 660lbs, but this was a mistake by VW and some have the 770 lb sticker which apparently is the accurate number. Having said that, I wouldn't want to put 770 lbs on it. The most I've towed is 4,500 lbs with about 550 lb on the hitch. Used a WDH which works really well. With that kind of weight on there and no WDH the front-end steering gets very light.

I can't wait to hook our 2017 19' up.

skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:01 PM   #36

Ross, picture was shot with a 20mm wide angle lens but doubt that made a significant difference. Looks like an extended stinger all right. Only Don would know.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:44 PM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
In April I camped for a few days at Meriwether Lewis Park in Tennessee, near the northern end of the Natchez Trace. I went into the nearby town of Hohenwald and saw a building marked "Oliver Trailer Sales". It was Oliver's showroom; I had no idea they were made in Hohenwald. Anyway, I went inside and took a look. This might be the same model Oliver that Myron saw in Mesa Verde.
Attached Thumbnails
oliver_trailer_1.jpg   oliver_trailer_2.jpg  
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:48 PM   #38
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Ron, I really like that first photo. Nice shot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2016, 02:09 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Am struck by how far back the Oliver seems from the tow vehicle. Is that an illusion Myron or is there some kind of extension piece?
Hi Ross . Glad you are alive and well . When we checked out the Oliver , the reason is the hitch on the trailer is called a bull dog . It is a commercial hitch . The strongest hitch I ever saw . It is longer then our hitches . I think that is reason for being back so far . Pat
Old 06-17-2016, 02:41 PM   #40

Trailer: 2014 Bigfoot 25B175FB
I replaced my coupler with a Bulldog A-frame coupler on my Bigfoot and, as I remember, it only added 3-4 inches in length. (Amazon, E-trailer etc. have them for about $50.)
tidewater is offline   Reply With Quote