Escape meets Ollie - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2016, 12:54 AM   #101

I assume that the person you spoke with was the person who purchased this trailer from the original owners. IF SO, then there are some clarifications that need to be made. I am familiar with this trailer as it was originally built for the Technomads and was named Orion. I am also familiar with this person as he approached us in Oklahoma City many years ago and tried to buy our 2008 Oliver Elite I. At that time, he claimed to have been a great admirer of Oliver having seen one other (that trailer) before seeing ours and also stated that he had toured the factory. He appeared to be very knowledgeable about the inner workings of the Oliver’s at that time.

To address his stated complaints:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
...Apparently he bought the unit just after Oliver stopped production for a while and based on what he read he got into a bidding war for a used Oliver. The new price was apparently $32,000 and he ended up paying $46,000...
He may have been involved in a “bidding war” with another prospective buyer, but he apparently failed to mention that the $46,000 he ultimately paid included the tow vehicle.

Quote:
...1. Sewer hose and connection in back bumper. The tolereances between the holes and the pins that secured the bumper were so tight that he struggled to get them open even as he showed us. The tolerances for the bumper end to close were also too tight and he found it very difficult to reclose it. Finally, the hose connection within the bumper was recessed and difficult to screw the hose fitting onto...
I agree the hose connection is tight, I just left ours connected and have never had a problem.

Quote:
...2. Propane tanks were mounted so close to the front of the trailer that the gel coat was worn through to the fiberglass from friction.
As has been stated, that propane compartment was not designed to accommodate 30lb tanks (the newer trailers will.)

Quote:
...3. The plastic sliding doors on the ring of cupboards at eye level weren’t big enough to allow larger objects to be easily removed. They were definitely on the small side.
I agree the upper cabinets were small, it was what it was and we lived with it.

Quote:
...4. Of the two drawers in the kitchen area, one was roughly 12 inches wide and about 20 inches tall, far too deep a drawer for using the space effectively.
He complained about the “two drawers”. He must have missed the others, ours had five.

Quote:
...5. The hitch pin was under designed and had sheared on him, where after he was informed of a recall for a stronger pin...
There was a problem with the “hitch pin” in one trailer. There was never a recall and even if there had been, he would not have been included as the company would have no knowledge of the trailer having been sold.

Quote:
...6. &nbspespite the double walled sides, the inside wall came away to form cupboards and so the single wall in the cupboards sweated when it was cold, making his clothing wet.
We never had much problem with our 2008 model sweating. I do know that it was more moist in the overhead cabinets than in the lower storage compartments where we stored our clothes.

Quote:
...7. Electrical issues that had yet to be resolved....
This trailer was only about the 34th one built. The wiring in each one was different as each one was custom made to the owners specs. Since this was a used trailer any electrical issues that he had were never going to be resolved by the factory. In all fairness, anyone who knows the Technomads will realize that they most likely made some mods of their own.

Quote:
...When he learned the weight of our Escape 21 fully loaded he was envious, as his much smaller trailer almost weighed the same....
I do recall him asking me about weight and I quoted him a traveling weight of around 3900 to 4000 pounds.

2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD Diesel 4x4
scubarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:25 AM   #102

Trailer: 17
As to price of a new Oliver, you can delete options to lower the price, here is their facebook response

" Can you try an economy model trailer? Same quality, but less luxury, more basic?May 16 at 11:09am

Oliver Travel Trailers Hello Babs, thank you for your interest! Our goal is to always maintain our highest quality and fine craftsmanship. We have no plans to build an economy trailer as that is not our market. There are many other manufacturers that already build economy trailers that are average-good. We strive to be very high quality and to always be improving to be the best we can be. Please keep in mind that you can build an Ollie to be "standard" model without all of the extras if that is what you'd prefer. I encourage you to reach out to our sales department to speak with a Sales Rep to see what this standard package has to offer
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:18 AM   #103

Trailer: 2015 E19'
Escape meets Ollie, Indeed...

Poking around on the web, found it interesting to note that the Oliver web site has a 4-way comparison: Oliver Legacy Elite II, Airstream Sport 22 FB, Airstream 23' Flying Cloud, and - taa-dah - Escape 21', with the prices respectively being $49,900, $52,900, $71,600, and $24,000 USD.

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/tra...avel-trailers/

Nice to see that Oliver apparently considers the Escape to be in the mix with them and Airstream.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:33 AM   #104

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
They need to update their prices.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:26 AM   #105

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Hi: padlin... If they're in a 4 way race for highest priced. They're clearly not in first place. If its best value... not in first place either!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:51 AM   #106

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
and their specifications, they have the 21 Escape with 3" frame, vs the correct 4" boxed frame.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:44 PM   #107

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The interior width is wrong for the Escape 21', too. My guess (given the 3" frame goof) is that they are mixing some specs for the original Escape 17' with recent specs for the 21'.

The stabilizer jack type is also incorrect (it says scissor), but that's wrong on the ETI site. Interior wall construction is described as "Vinyl headliner/wall covering over wood frame", which is not accurate (because the cabinets are wood but the covering is on the fiberglass shell and not wood framing). There's no linoleum in an Escape, but that's another error on the ETI site.

Oliver also misses details where they would inconveniently make an Escape look better than an Oliver, such as the availability of a three-burner stove and of a range with oven.

I'm actually impressed how much information Oliver reports on the Escape, even including details such as battery placement and housing which are not in Escape's published specs.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:54 PM   #108

Trailer: Escape 1721
I'm surprised they chose Escape over Bigfoot. From a marketing perspective, the Bigfoot is more inline with Oliver pricing.
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 04:35 PM   #109

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Oliver only offers a one year warranty (Escape offers two) despite all their language about how superior they are. Always bugged me.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:46 PM   #110

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Oliver also misses details where they would inconveniently make an Escape look better than an Oliver, such as the availability of a three-burner stove and of a range with oven.
Looks like the GVWR is outdated, now 5,000#. Also no mention of the front storage box that could be compared to their open storage basket. Plus no indication that counters, floor and upholstery can be customized. Very thorough comparison though.

Oliver has a new rear bike rack mount that looks really nicely built.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1520.JPG  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:28 PM   #111
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I think this comparison by Oliver will sell more Escapes. When all is said and done, it's less than HALF the price of an Oliver for US buyers. That'll cover alot of camping fees and gas.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2017, 12:01 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Oliver has a new rear bike rack mount that looks really nicely built.
That's a lot of metal to make two roof-mount Thule racks work behind a trailer. The aluminum frame is by Oliver; it looks like the black base rails are Thule SquareBar crossbars (probably one bar cut into two, maybe with added End Caps), mounted to feet (may be custom), and carrying two Thule Sidearm bike carriers.

If anyone wants this sort of setup on their Escape, they can buy the Thule (or other brand) components, build a simple frame of steel or aluminum tubing, and just clamp the frame ends to the trailer frame (just ahead of the bumper) with U-bolts. The toughest part would be the mounting feet, if that's not an off-the-shelf Thule item. One could use sockets like Oliver (so it is more readily removable), but it would be nice to make a better socket system.

For such a fancy and expensive product, it seems strange to me that they just stuck a buck worth of conspicuity tape on it, rather than running an extra set of tail and stop/turn lamps.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:00 AM   #113

Quote:
For such a fancy and expensive product, it seems strange to me that they just stuck a buck worth of conspicuity tape on it, rather than running an extra set of tail and stop/turn lamps.
Good point, especially since it doesn't appear that Oliver has an extra set of high mount lamps as an option.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:24 AM   #114

Quote:
Good point, especially since it doesn't appear that Oliver has an extra set of high mount lamps as an option.
I talked to Oliver about this. They can wire the "Oliver" Sign into the braking system.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:39 AM   #115

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
I talked to Oliver about this. They can wire the "Oliver" Sign into the braking system.
IMHO that Oliver sign on the rear is a waste ...now if it was a Led dot matrix sign with the ability to display custom text at the push of a button that would be great..something like
"Stop Tailgating"
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:49 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
That would get you a third brake light, but no extra turn signals. Correct?
Old 06-05-2017, 09:50 AM   #117

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I think this comparison by Oliver will sell more Escapes. When all is said and done, it's less than HALF the price of an Oliver for US buyers. That'll cover alot of camping fees and gas.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
that may be true, but then again the person willing to spend $60K + for a trailer may not be too concerned about camping fees and gas!

did find it interesting that Bigfoot was not in the comparison as it seemed they all have a similar price except the Escape which with a different build and cost was puzzling why it was even included.
Having been in several new Bigfoots recently, prefer it for comfort.... but it would best be served with a diesel 2500 type pickup tug and taking trailer off road would be very questionable IMHO.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:54 AM   #118

Quote:
That would get you a third brake light, but no extra turn signals. Correct?
Correct, good point.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:06 PM   #119

E-Z Flex

Escape no longer uses beam axles with leaf springs, and they never did on the trailers to which Oliver is comparing. When Escape did use them on the original 5.0TA, they included the Dexter E-Z Flex system; Oliver offers it as an upgrade:
Old 06-05-2017, 04:37 PM   #120

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Escape no longer uses beam axles with leaf springs, and they never did on the trailers to which Oliver is comparing. When Escape did use them on the original 5.0TA, they included the Dexter E-Z Flex system; Oliver offers it as an upgrade:
Interesting read but really no comparisons . Brian was looking at "Born free "Class C 's this morning ,and they are using" Smart Plug "for their detachable cords on all their models . . First time I saw a RV manufacturer use on their RV's . Finally got to use home before trip and generator with no hookups . Never knew I would love a detachable system . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote