Escape new features - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2014, 01:58 PM   #41

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Our 21 came with scissors jacks couple of months ago. I had them add footpads for $25.
The 21' on display at ETI's factory earlier this year had C-Jacks, which provide vertical support and lateral stability; the other models had the same jacks or other similar single-leg stabilizing jacks. I believe they have been the standard at ETI for some time.

I don't understand why anyone would want scissors jacks in this situation, which don't provide lateral stability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
I think what this means for me is: when I bring my 17 home next summer, and I see that picky highway patrol guy around, I'll turn on the MAXXFAN full blast, leave the door shut, and the partial vacuum will pull in the trailer sides to 2031 mm.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:01 PM   #42

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Hi Don last Nov. when we brought our trailer home taking our time passing many highway patrol , police , sheriffs . We were never stopped . Didn't even have the license plate yet . Called highway patrol before and was told just need our bill of sale . You have 20 days after you take possession . Also you have to go to DMV and they check it out for compliance especially since it is a out of United States purchase . Don't stress . Take care Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:03 PM   #43

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The 5.0 TA are the "C" style you link to, they also came without the foot, which is kind of strange.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:08 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
And another question as to the high lift situation. Which 19's or do all have high lift? Thought it became standard at some time. Are 21's high lift?
I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. "High lift" would mean that it is higher than something else - if all are the same height, then none of them are "high".

Various members have posted here that the optional Escape high-lift kit is a spacer between the frame and the Torflex axle assembly. None of the display/demo trailers at the Chilliwack factory had such a spacer in them when I visited earlier this year.

With some brands, high-lift means that the Torflex axle is ordered with a steeper "start angle": the suspension arm is angled further down from horizontal than the non-high-lift version of the same trailer. I don't know if ETI has ever offered a choice of start angles.

Another way to change height with a Torflex is to choose between the low-profile and high-profile brackets which are part of the axle assembly. That makes a 0.82" difference in ride height. Again, I don't know if this has ever been a choice from ETI (I think they're all high-profile).

The ride height of some Escape models (at least including the 17') has changed over the years, due to tire changes and probably suspension changes.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #45

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The 21' on display at ETI's factory earlier this year had C-Jacks, which provide vertical support and lateral stability; the other models had the same jacks or other similar single-leg stabilizing jacks. I believe they have been the standard at ETI for some time.

I don't understand why anyone would want scissors jacks in this situation, which don't provide lateral stability.

I'm having trouble visualizing how the C jacks could provide any more stability than a scissor jack?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:19 PM   #46

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
High lift means higher than on a standard Escape. High lift has been offered on Escapes from many years back. It may or may not have anything to do with the kit for 5ers, as far as the other models go.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:48 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I'm having trouble visualizing how the C jacks could provide any more stability than a scissor jack?
Fair question...
Imagine looking at one of the C-Jacks (or any similar single-leg jack) from behind the trailer. The main leg of the jack sits diagonally between the ground and the drive screw which is in the crossmember across the frame, so any force which tries to move the trailer body laterally (side-to-side) is braced by the jack leg. In contrast, the base and top of the scissors jack is small, and thus not a stiff connection, so it mostly just acts like a pole - maintaining height firmly, but not doing much about lateral movement.

Tongue jacks and fifth-wheel landing gear are really wobbly - perhaps worse than scissors jacks.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:54 PM   #48

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Don last Nov. when we brought our trailer home taking our time passing many highway patrol , police , sheriffs . We were never stopped . Didn't even have the license plate yet . Called highway patrol before and was told just need our bill of sale . You have 20 days after you take possession . Also you have to go to DMV and they check it out for compliance especially since it is a out of United States purchase . Don't stress . Take care Pat
Thanks, Pat. That's good to know.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:05 PM   #49

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Fair question...
Imagine looking at one of the C-Jacks (or any similar single-leg jack) from behind the trailer. The main leg of the jack sits diagonally between the ground and the drive screw which is in the crossmember across the frame, so any force which tries to move the trailer body laterally (side-to-side) is braced by the jack leg. In contrast, the base and top of the scissors jack is small, and thus not a stiff connection, so it mostly just acts like a pole - maintaining height firmly, but not doing much about lateral movement.

Tongue jacks and fifth-wheel landing gear are really wobbly - perhaps worse than scissors jacks.
A scissor jack also is essentially one triangle above and one below with the screw being the hypotenuse of each. We have scissor jacks on our 17B and it is firmly stable when they are down. I don't want to hijack this thread with a lengthy discussion of this so I'll just concede the point that they aren't stable.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:05 PM   #50

Quote:
High lift means higher than on a standard Escape.
Okay, so "high lift" doesn't mean anything any more if there is no choice, since they're all standard in that case. Is the current 21' the same height as a previous high-lift option for that trailer? I don't know, but as I said the 2014 model which I saw earlier didn't have a spacer between frame and axle.

Quote:
It may or may not have anything to do with the kit for 5ers, as far as the other models go.
The original 5.0 has the same main frame and suspension as a 17'.
Reace said that the 5.0TA would be easily changed to suit the truck towing it; since this model (and only this model) has a leaf-spring suspension, that means spacer blocks between springs and axle beam, or switching between underslung and overslung configurations (springs under the axle beam for lower ride, or above the axle beam for about 4" higher ride). Multiple 5.0TA's have been produced, apparently at both heights, but I have yet to see a description of the height adjustment method (and the model didn't exist yet for me to look at when I was at the factory most recently). Neither is anything like the spacer used with the Torflex axles of the other models.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:07 PM   #51

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
From the sound of it "High Lift" is no longer a relevant term for newer trailers, however, on our 2010 5.0 our Bill of Sale lists "High lift Axel (add 2" spacer on frame)". - N/C (no charge). In reality the spacer was 1.5". At the time of ordering Reace mentioned the various angles for the suspension arm but whether or not an alternate angle was used on our trailer - I don't know. Which leads to another question. If we are out in the middle of nowhere and an axle fails do we know which one to order? I'm assuming the worst case scenario- say we are unable to contact ETI.
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:20 PM   #52
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Might want to get the part number used from ETI or the label on the actual axle and file it away if you're concerned. Dexter axles are widely available, not just from ETI.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:30 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerriJ View Post
If we are out in the middle of nowhere and an axle fails do we know which one to order? I'm assuming the worst case scenario- say we are unable to contact ETI.
There are enough dimensions and other specifications in a Torflex axle assembly that it is not practical for anyone to stock all of them, and so they are usually built-to-order. That means it is going to take a while - long enough to contact ETI. If necessary, everything can be measured from the original axle by any competent trailer repair shop or careful and technically-minded owner; the exception would be the internal rubber if trimmed to lower than full capacity... and that should be on the label on the axle assembly (I don't think the 5.0 was ever trimmed to less than 3500 pound capacity). The start angle can be seen externally, and since it only comes in one of a few standard choices it doesn't even require precision measurement.

Even if we had a comprehensive list of Escape model variations, I think it would be prudent to measure carefully to determine the correct replacement axle assembly, if one is ever required.

Fortunately, sudden axle failure is rare, and I believe essentially non-existent with properly maintained bearings; again there's an exception, which is collision damage.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:32 PM   #54

Quote:
Might want to get the part number used from ETI or the label on the actual axle and file it away if you're concerned.
I don't think a single part number will do it, but there is usually a sticker or placard on the axle with everything needed - it would make sense to me to take a clear photo of this before road debris and weather make it unreadable.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:32 PM   #55

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
Quote:
Might want to get the part number used from ETI or the label on the actual axle and file it away if you're concerned. Dexter axles are widely available, not just from ETI.
Dexter makes Lift Kits for its #9 through #12 axles
Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - Torflex Lift Kit
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:39 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerriJ View Post
From the sound of it "High Lift" is no longer a relevant term for newer trailers, however, on our 2010 5.0 our Bill of Sale lists "High lift Axel (add 2" spacer on frame)". - N/C (no charge). In reality the spacer was 1.5". At the time of ordering Reace mentioned the various angles for the suspension arm but whether or not an alternate angle was used on our trailer - I don't know. Which leads to another question. If we are out in the middle of nowhere and an axle fails do we know which one to order? I'm assuming the worst case scenario- say we are unable to contact ETI.
A high lift axle option is available for the 15' and 17' at present. A number of Escape owners have wanted them, mostly boondockers.

Someone on the spot can figure out what axle you would need in the unlikely event yours fails. Or take a camera phone! Then maybe someone can figure it out long distance.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:43 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
Good info, but from previous descriptions of the amount of lift, ETI has used a similar arrangement but with smaller dimensions, for a less extreme lift. Escape Torflex axles are the #10 model.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:44 PM   #58

Quote:
Someone on the spot can figure out what axle you would need in the unlikely event yours fails. Or take a camera phone!
... and a tape measure.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:49 PM   #59

Since high lift is an option only for the 15' and 17', I take it that all 19's and 21's are being made higher than a 15' or 17'. I am not sure that was always the case with the 19' however.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:54 PM   #60

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
This is good information. In selling our trailer I have had a few inquires about replacing the lift. The Dexter Kit is simply bolt in while the Escape version was welded.
Thanks.
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote