Escape Opening Texas Branch? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2021, 08:59 AM   #21

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Thank you for the response. Sounds like it's in our best interest to be there. We really wanted to be anyway, so excited. Been dreaming of this for 4 years.
uthorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:33 PM   #22

Trailer: pending
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
Last I know from talking with ETI in December is that it’s on hold until Covid restrictions are significantly eased. At first it is envisioned as a sales outlet, and later possibly a second manufacturing location.
Well as someone who has given up on the dream of owning an Escape due to multi year waiting lists, I would say the LAST THING they need is another sales outlet.
They can not keep up reasonably with what orders they have. Who makes a purchase of this magnitude for delivery in 18 months ?
I bought a small condo a couple of years ago under construction and got it quicker than you can get a ETI. Oh BTW, I am slightly bitter
Dee Lirious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 11:18 AM   #23

Trailer: None yet
They recently announced changes to production that included 60 inventory units that will be offered first to people with deposits down. Between that and the increased production itself, they anticipate that the furthest out dates currently will be brought forward significantly. If you got a deposit in and changed your mind because it doesn’t move you up fast enough, all you lose is $150 US. Take a second look-maybe it won’t be as bad as you think and tame the bitterness....
As for timing -any good more or less custom built item in high demand will require a wait. Try buying certain models of Rolex watch-see how long you have to wait for that. Cheers!
Jon Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:21 PM   #24

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmaknight View Post
I remember reading pre-COVID that Escape was looking at opening a US branch somewhere in the Dallas area. I assume that was put on hold due to COVID, but has anyone heard any other details on that plan? It would be much more convenient to pick the trailer up there and get serviced there if needed.
It would actually make more sense for them to choose somewhere in Ohio. Akron has a long history of polymers and it is close to the RV suppliers in Indiana.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cleveland 500 miles.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	53291

That would give them a US location with in 500 miles of 130 million people in the U.S. and another 25+ million in Canada including the cities of Toronto and Ontario.

A Dallas location is with in 500 miles of only about 50 million people in the U.S.

Big Radius Tool
Begin typing your city, county or metro area and then choose a location from the list of available geographies. Select a radius of any value from 25 to 500 miles using the slider.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mayer View Post
Try buying certain models of Rolex watch-see how long you have to wait for that. Cheers!
NOT a helpful comparison. I have, and wear daily, to this day, a Rolex since 1974 !
But I appreciate the thought !
I still do not see the logic in running when you are having trouble walking, selling more of something that you have is the recipe for shortcuts and diminished quality. Boost production, then sales in my humble opinion.
Of course this is coming from a guy who does NOT and likely will not ever own an Escape in the current climate. EVEN MORE frustrating is that I very nearly put down a deposit Jan 2020 but issues with the wife's health side tracked me.
Best laid plans of mice and men .....
Old 01-20-2021, 01:00 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
It would actually make more sense for them to choose somewhere in Ohio. Akron has a long history of polymers and it is close to the RV suppliers in Indiana.

Attachment 53291

That would give them a US location with in 500 miles of 130 million people in the U.S. and another 25+ million in Canada including the cities of Toronto and Ontario.

A Dallas location is with in 500 miles of only about 50 million people in the U.S.

Big Radius Tool
Begin typing your city, county or metro area and then choose a location from the list of available geographies. Select a radius of any value from 25 to 500 miles using the slider.
From your mouth to Chilliwack ! I LIVE in Toronto ! my daughter in Toledo Ohio
Old 01-20-2021, 04:56 PM   #27

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Karl talks about the Texas manufacturing facility at about 25:18 into this video Q&A:
weavejd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:57 AM   #28

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19, 2010 Palomino Y series prior
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Lirious View Post
Well as someone who has given up on the dream of owning an Escape due to multi year waiting lists, I would say the LAST THING they need is another sales outlet.
They can not keep up reasonably with what orders they have. Who makes a purchase of this magnitude for delivery in 18 months ?
I bought a small condo a couple of years ago under construction and got it quicker than you can get a ETI. Oh BTW, I am slightly bitter
As somebody who is active on the Overland Portal, I can tell you plenty of people sign up for 12+ month wait lists for off road trailers, some of which are tiny tear drops.
And many of them need to put down 30% or greater deposits, and in the last few years at least 3 of the companies serving that market filed chapter 7 leaving dozens if not hundreds of people without their deposit money.

This last year in general has drastically increased demand for camping and outdoor gear. In general prior to the pandemic IIRC the trend for campers and trailers was on the rise.
Wunfiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:04 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Lirious View Post
My understanding is the US location would not be a dealership, but, another factory.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:50 PM   #30

Trailer: Looking
Video

Thank you for the video posted above, that helps a lot. It sounds like they import a lot of the components from the US, so it would make sense to build some units in the US that would be sent to US customers. They could avoid importing the parts, then exporting the completed unit to the US. I assume there would be at least some cost savings there.

They mentioned Texas as a good location on the video because there are skilled fiberglass technicians in the area. I assume he means Casita workers, or maybe some boat builders in the DFW area.

If you can get the parts cheaper, and get the labor for the same or cheaper, and have less transportation cost, it seems like they can deliver the same trailer for a little less and they can make a little more on it. Seems like a win, win to me.

I also like it because I'll have a location close by to work on my future trailer if it needs it!
pmaknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 02:33 PM   #31

Trailer: 1900 big zero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Well, the same state at least (Flower Mound is ~240 miles / ~3:45 drive time from that trailer); even in Texas we don't call that 'in your area'.
Ahhhh yes, but only 15minutes from DFW airport.....
justbernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 03:33 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbernie View Post
Ahhhh yes, but only 15minutes from DFW airport.....
Too bad I don't have a personal C130 to transport my Escape there.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:31 PM   #33

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
With the Keystone pipeline shutdown, it may change things . significantly. Our waiting list may speed up shortly. This is not a political post...Just a fact from news today. I don't care if you liked or disliked previous admin. I'm only pointing out what may happen...
Old 01-21-2021, 08:08 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
With the Keystone pipeline shutdown, it may change things . significantly. Our waiting list may speed up shortly. This is not a political post...Just a fact from news today. I don't care if you liked or disliked previous admin. I'm only pointing out what may happen...
What would that have to do with Escape trailer sales? Keystone was always about getting by the restriction on exporting US oil. Since that restriction was lifted Keystone almost died on its own. There are plenty of refineries in the north US for Canadian oil.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:15 PM   #35

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Lots of high paying jobs... 13,000 jobs in the USA is significant. I live in Fl and worked in the OIL transport industry for years. I don't anymore , but I think these jobs and the related industries may feel this...we will see
Old 01-21-2021, 08:53 PM   #36

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
Lots of high paying jobs... 13,000 jobs in the USA is significant.
No, it isn't. That would be a significant number in a medium sized city, but not in the US as a whole.

There are like, 1.8 million truck drivers (going to one number I actually know offhand) in the US alone. There are about 158 milllion people employed in all jobs in the US right now.

There were 1.4 million new unemployment claims in the US last month.

I'm not sure what points are being made here, but the idea that a single project worth some 13,000 jobs is going to have a significant impact on the US labor market is just not correct. Maybe it will have a significant effect on the Dakota job markets, but statistically speaking nobody lives there.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:57 PM   #37
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
It would actually make more sense for them to choose somewhere in Ohio.
There are many factors to consider when determining a distribution or manufacturing location - not just the proximity to population centers or the other reasons you cite. Texas is a very advantageous location for a number of reasons. Whatever Escape decides, I'm sure they'll have done their homework.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:15 PM   #38

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And, things can go wrong rather quickly.

Wasn't it the Trillium Sidekick that moved production to Georgia from Manitoba and almost instantly alienated both banking and labour, declaring bankruptcy before they'd had their afternoon coffee break?
Old 01-22-2021, 09:26 AM   #39

More to the point, cancelling XL pipeline and destroying domestic oil production as well is going to drive up gasoline prices and THAT will impact people who do many miles hauling with gas guzzler's for recreational pursuits.
in a year or so there will be a glut of 3 year old RV's and pickup trucks on the market as the price gets back up around and likely more than $3 a gallon
Old 01-22-2021, 09:39 AM   #40
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
TIME to get back to discussing ETI opening a Texas branch and OFF of pipelines. There are other sites to discuss that.

Thank you.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote