Escape or Silver Streak - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
Escape or Silver Streak

I recently got a 1977 Silver Streak motorhome, one of only 40 made. Attached is a picture of it and my Escape. I much prefer the Escape. Anyone disagree?
I'm also posting this on a Silver Streak site, it will be interesting to see what they say; I think I know.
Luckily there is no wrong answer, they are both pretty cool. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Escape and Silver Streak.jpg  
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
When you blow a head gasket on that Silver Streak, it becomes a Silver Smear.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
I would say it's more like Dodge Vrs Toyotascape. And to that there is no contest...
Old 08-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I think they both have value. For ME, it would depend on what I'm trying to do. I think a MOHO would be great for a cross country trip with family. But, I love my trailer too. That's for driving for 2-7 hours and staying in one spot for 3-10 days.

I think it's grand we don't all want the same thing....
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I might agree if the MOHO was brand new.
Just looks like a liability to me.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:27 AM   #6

Trailer: No RV for now.
It seems like there would be times when a single unit would be kind of nice. Don't think we could part with our Escape, but we have pondered the MOHO idea ourselves.

Have fun with both of your rigs!
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Why not use your Silver Streak as your TV?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #8

Trailer: 2006 17b Goucho
I don't trust the motorhome enough to tow the Escape. It runs good with only 76k miles on a Dodge 440, but it is 36 years old so I am going to use it with care.
I was looking for a canned ham trailer (I like the wood interior) to leave at work for my private lunch room when I remembered my sister had my parent's old motorhome. In essence she paid me $600 to drive it away. It is in really good shape and Silver Streak collectors have shown interest in it. Silver Streaks were probably the best made trailers in their day, just like Escape, and each of the motorhomes were unique. I have found only 4 or 5 still roadworthy on the internet.
I've put a hundred or so hours and maybe $1,800 into it, mostly for tires and shocks. I can't believe how much motorhome tires are!
Last month I went to Colorado and stripped a similar abandoned motorhome so now I have a shed full of spare parts, including one entire side of exterior skin for future patch or repair work.
What I like is the built-in generator. I was using my Escape for a lunch room but had to use my Honda generator to run the air conditioner. Now I can push a button and have power.
I expect to use it for the next 12 years at work, driving it every couple weeks to keep it healthy, then selling in with a bunch of spares. It will be about 48 years old and should have about 78k miles on it with no water damage or major problems. That will pay for everything I put into it. I may take it vintage trailer/motorhome rallies but nowhere farther than a couple hundred miles.
If I didn't have an Escape, I would be tempted to have someone rebuild the chassis and drive train to make it more trustworthy, but I prefer the convenience of the smaller trailer. Plus the motorhome sucks gas pretty quick. I think I would probably get about 50 cents a mile driving it, ~ 8 MPG.
The Silver Streak folks think the Escape looks cute but they prefer the look of old aircraft aluminum. I think they would change their minds a bit if they saw one in person.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #9

Nice rationale. Old is beautiful. Should be a fun tinkering project.
Dog as Navigator
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote