Escape Owners Facebook Page - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2016, 09:17 AM   #61

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog2673 View Post
A closed FB page would certainly be the way to go. I envision the Escape Forum as the technical information side and FB as the social side. Also, keep in mind that no one will be forced to join...only those that enjoy using FB as a social network tool.
The only disadvantage of a page like this, is that it is by invite only from whoever is named as an administrator. People can always be added, but they would know nothing about it unless told.

I think it would be best that a fan page be an open one, with maybe needing to have a request for inclusion needing to be approved. At least this way folks not part of the page can still read it, and see if they would like to be included and get notifications. It would also keep random folks from making any remarks that are not appropriate.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:44 AM   #62

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Just my most often-wrong opinion, but couldn't the whole issue be solved if more people contributed their camping and travel experiences here on this forum more?

I agree that the forum is heavily slanted toward the technical side of things with threads about build sheets, solar power, modifications, and problems (all of which I have benefited from greatly, not a criticism at all!) and it seems after people get their trailer, they are seldom heard from again (Ellen Darby comes to mind).

I know some have set up WordPress or Blogger-type blogs which they use to chronicle their travels, but if the camping threads here became more active, maybe participation on FB would not be needed?
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:54 AM   #63

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
Just my most often-wrong opinion, but couldn't the whole issue be solved if more people contributed their camping and travel experiences here on this forum more?

I agree that the forum is heavily slanted toward the technical side of things with threads about build sheets, solar power, modifications, and problems (all of which I have benefited from greatly, not a criticism at all!) and it seems after people get their trailer, they are seldom heard from again (Ellen Darby comes to mind).

I know some have set up WordPress or Blogger-type blogs which they use to chronicle their travels, but if the camping threads here became more active, maybe participation on FB would not be needed?

I second this one!!!
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:28 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post

In theory I don't disagree at all, but how do we get people to freely report on their experiences? All the techy stuff is a great thing, and a big help to folks, and I do believe that should be the main focus of the forum, but keeping things light also keeps them more real.

I love the idea of blogs, but the problem with them is that there are so many, I don't ever subscribe and check out very often. I love the format, as folks can put out there what they did, whether mods to their trailers, or trips they took, without a bunch of chatter breaking up what they have to report, like what happens on a forum. It would be great though if maybe they just posted that there was an update, and a link to it. That way folks could go check out their page.

Just thinkin'.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-07-2016, 10:34 AM   #65
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The only travel blog I follow with any regularity is Technomadia | Adventures In Nomadic Serendipity It's just geeky enough to satisfy me. Plus Chris and Cheri write in language I can usually understand. Although they full-time in a classic bus, their descriptions, photos and park reviews are not only interesting, but may be valuable to me in the future when I can really start traveling.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:04 AM   #66

My thinking is that if the techy stuff is and should be the main focus, then a natural attrition will take place here (please, hold your applause until after I'm gone if that happens to me ).

IF people wanted this site to stay strong, and keep more members here, then I would think it would have to mirror some of the social aspects that would attract people to post on Facebook rather than here. The closest thing that comes to that concept in my mind is the "What's out your back window" thread. But that's just one thread.

I also suffer from complete ignorance when it comes to anything electrical, mechanical or DYI, so I can completely understand how once the trailer is complete, a mostly techy slant wouldn't click so much. Of course, unless I have all sorts of issues with the trailer.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:36 PM   #67

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
So, there have been previous Escape Facebook pages which flopped, and there is now an Escape Facebook page, which is essentially unused - clearly there is little demand for it. Maybe this thread can simply serve as an advertisement for the existing page, if all that has been missing is promotion.

Those pages may have all been open, so maybe the key would be a closed Facebook page. If the point of being closed is to avoid spam, I understand that, but it could be a lot of work to screen input to an active group. If some people just want a place to go whisper about other people without the subject of their gossip seeing it, I'm not interested that that place, or the people who would be there. Either way, I'm certainly not interested in convincing an administrator that I should be allowed into the private clubhouse.

If people are just finding that in this forum different types of interests are not effectively segregated, so that some technical discussion gets into Cyber Campfire, or that images posted in Visual Escape attract unwanted discussion, then perhaps the moderators can decide to start moderating that activity... but it sounds like a lot of work to me. When I look at EscapeForum, I start from the Recent Discussions list. Anyone doing that will stumble into threads from any sub-forum, and may not notice which one they're in.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:57 PM   #68

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My name appeared under the photos I took for the newspaper for 40 years.
Most photos of me have appeared at the post office and on milk cartons.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:58 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_bullet View Post
Most photos of me have appeared at the post office and on milk cartons.
Are you the missing child everyone is looking for?
Old 04-07-2016, 02:59 PM   #70

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Are you the missing child everyone is looking for?
Got milk?
Old 04-07-2016, 03:13 PM   #71

Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Why not contribute those here?
It's extremely simple to upload pictures on FB from a smart phone. It takes only seconds to upload a few pics and short narrative. I haven't had that same experience on this forum and that's why I don't do it. But, I'm sure sure it's just me.
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:23 PM   #72
Site Team

Trailer: 1964 Globetrotter
We are watching this discussion and considering how to proceed. Your input is valuable so thanks for posting opinion on this topic. FB has several options, a closed group, an open group and a page that can be associated with this board. This later option may be the best fit as closed groups often die when they are untended.. still, post up if you have an opinion. We are mulling over options.

Escape Forum Custom Google Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:30 PM   #73

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
It might make more sense to make posting photos easier on this site ( and FGRV ). I've spent more time walking people through that procedure than anything else.
The instructions make it more difficult than need be.

As for Facebook, I am already irritated with the feed I have. Constantly having to scroll through stuff that I've already ignored, because somebody added a "like".
Old 04-07-2016, 03:41 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
... an open group and a page that can be associated with this board. This later option may be the best fit as closed groups often die when they are untended.. still, post up if you have an opinion. We are mulling over options.
This last option sounds like a winner, Janet. I think if a Facebook option is to work well, to have it somehow integrated with this forum.
Quote:

As for Facebook, I am already irritated with the feed I have. Constantly having to scroll through stuff that I've already ignored, because somebody added a "like".
You can set things so you do not get notifications, where you must actually go to the page in order to read what is there. The same with your friends, if you have some that are prolific cat or politic posters, you can opt to not see their posts. I have become very adept at rapidly scrolling through my news feed, quickly eliminating anything with content I don't care to see. A picture of a cat or Trump, and I am past them in less than 1/10 of a second. Same with all the posters, videos, photos etc. They all get a brief glance, and I can tell in an instant if I want to stop or not. It works for me anyway.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:47 PM   #75

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've already set my Facebook to ignore half my 'friends'.
I like the way the forum works. I use the Recent Discussions menu on the right. If the thread title is in bold, I haven't read it. When I click on the thread, I get the most recent unread post. Don't have to scroll through stuff I've already read.

Did you know that the guy who sells me cameras is at Vancouver International Airport? Did you know he was at a Calgary restaurant yesterday?
Old 04-07-2016, 04:02 PM   #76

Quote:
Did you know that the guy who sells me cameras is at Vancouver International Airport? Did you know he was at a Calgary restaurant yesterday?
No, you will have to introduce us.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:21 PM   #77

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I'll be interested to see how this goes. I finally figured out how to post pictures to the forum, but when we're traveling my favored thing to do is to post to my blog and notify the forum so if anyone's interested they can go to the blog. I like it when other people do that as well. My experience with facebook pages for specific groups is that they don't get used so much or it's difficult to find things. I like that with the forum there is a search so that theoretically I can type in San Diego camping and come up with a thread. Although honestly, I've not been as successful with the search tab as I'd like so I end up starting new threads about subjects that I know already exist somewhere.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:30 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
...but when we're traveling my favored thing to do is to post to my blog and notify the forum so if anyone's interested they can go to the blog. I like it when other people do that as well.
I like it that you do that too (both blog and post links), but so many don't post updates. Keep it going like that, and maybe others will join in.

I am contemplating starting a blog around my 5.0TA, to show some of the mods, accessories, and things I have done to it. As well, I hope to also show some of my travels with it.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:37 PM   #79

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I have limited interest in following Escape happenings on both a FB page and on this forum, and I much prefer the forum. I would like to see the forum software adjusted to make it simpler and more foolproof to import photos into a post (drag and drop would be ideal), with any resizing being done automatically by the forum software.

For good or bad, I think that in the past 1-2 yrs the forum has deviated more and more towards it being a site where potential owners hold seemingly long and repetitive discussions of options. I am ok with that, but I would really like the forum to have more inputs from current owners regarding trips they want to or have taken, modifications they have made, and technical issues they need to deal with. I think that adapting the forum software to become more user friendly would help to achieve that.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:42 PM   #80

I already have a blog set up for our Escape, like I did with our Casita, and will use that to chronicle some of our travels. I find it a bit cathartic.