Escape vs. Airstream - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2018, 05:32 PM   #41

Trailer: 2018 ESCAPE19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Smith View Post
My wife and I are planning to make a trek to Chilliwack this winter to look at Escape trailers. Last weekend we visited the local Airstream dealer. I'm curious if any of the Escape owners in this group considered an Airstream trailer as an option prior to purchasing an Escape trailer. If so, what were the factors that led to choosing an Escape?
Thanks,
Leo
Beside the cost - our biggest complaint with the airstreams were the "capacity" sizes for fresh, grey and black water. Unless that changed recently - pitifully small. And we didn't like most of the layouts in comparison to the Escape.
Tam2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:33 PM   #42

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Glad it worked out well for you, always good finding out you made a good decision.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:45 PM   #43

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We went to Colonial Airstream and looked ay the 22' Sport model, I asked about the smaller a/c unit and extra 120v outlet, told that nothing can be changed, I have to take the unit as made and then pay someone to make the changes. I thought "who's trailer is this, mine or theirs?" and finally found Escape and have never looked back, Escape's ability to customize the interior to make it "yours" is the best there is in the industry.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:56 PM   #44

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
So true. At Escape you’re a person and a customer. I would guess at Airstream you’re a wallet.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:35 PM   #45

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
I owned a 25' Airstream, it was nice but was a money pit that leaked in many places. It was wide and heavy to tow. Everytime hail was in the forecast, I had to find a place to hide. Sold it and never looked back. Happy with fiberglass trailers.
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:13 PM   #46

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumboscott View Post
I owned a 25' Airstream, it was nice but was a money pit that leaked in many places. It was wide and heavy to tow. Everytime hail was in the forecast, I had to find a place to hide. Sold it and never looked back. Happy with fiberglass trailers.
I heard about the potential for hail damaging the skin. That is what turned me off.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 07:58 AM   #47

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I read through about 20 Airstream websites / forums this morning . They sounded just like this forum and used some of the same rational for their purchase .
I know in my case , what I buy or own is not always the better choice but it was my choice
I have learned to live with my mistakes and regrets
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:01 AM   #48

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Airstream - beds are too short, too heavy, too able to dent, too easy to leak at seams, too expensive. Short beds were a deal breaker.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:04 AM   #49
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I read through about 20 Airstream websites / forums this morning . They sounded just like this forum and used the same rational for their purchase .
I know in my case , what I buy or own is not always the better choice but it was my choice
That's human nature where we'll use any truth, opinion or lie to justify our purchase/decisions/beliefs. It's Confirmation Bias.

It's a very strong behavior and we must be careful not to become arrogant because our 'justification' is better than someone elses.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:05 AM   #50

There are 3000 rivets in an average Airstream, look at the effort those with a Scamp or Casita take just to protect maybe 2 dozen in their units. Each rivet is a possible leak. That said Airstreams are made to be lifted off the floor which rots from leaks and replaceable. Why they do not use Trek or other man made wood is unknown, but every 30 years it seems a new floor is needed.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:12 AM   #51

Trailer: Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
That's human nature where we'll use any truth, opinion or lie to justify our purchase/decisions/beliefs. It's Confirmation Bias.

It's a very strong behavior and we must be careful not to become arrogant because our 'justification' is better than someone elses.
Amen. Lest we become da Escape bigots.
A pure trailer race.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:18 AM   #52

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I for one think Airstream is a damm nice trailer . I don’t have a problem with its’ cost / value ratio . My problem is justifying the cost versus my limited usage . I had the same dilemma when we bought a fiberglass trailer only on a slightly smaller scale .
Travel trailers are a luxury not a necessity in my world and in honesty it’s hard to justify the purchase of any of them .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:25 AM   #53
Site Team

Quote:
Travel trailers are a luxury not a necessity in my world and in honesty it’s hard to justify the purchase of any of them .
This is where the 'Confirmation Bias' comes in for me. I justified it because I WANTED IT. I've lived a good life. I've worked hard, I deserve it! I can't take my assets with me when I die, I'm going to spend it ALL and have a ton of fun along the way. YMMV.

You are never again going to be as young as you are right now and probably not be in better health. Do NOT delay pleasure. - Nadine Thompson
Old 12-01-2018, 08:25 AM   #54

Quote:
I for one think Airstream is a damm nice trailer . I don’t have a problem with its’ cost / value ratio . My problem is justifying the cost versus my limited usage . I had the same dilemma when we bought a fiberglass trailer only on a slightly smaller scale .
I agree whole heartedly, but as I age I no longer put off gratification, so there is that constant internal battle, wants vs needs.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:32 AM   #55
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I agree whole heartedly, but as I age I no longer put off gratification, so there is that constant internal battle, wants vs needs.
The correct order is needs then wants. Once the first is satisfied, work on the second.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:40 AM   #56

While I agree there is a logical order to life, it appears todays society whatever they are called now, is it Millenials? They seem to spend everything now for instant gratification and are saving nothing for tomorrow's needs. Look at the IPhone example, 30 years ago they did not exist, now children have them. Exact opposite the way I was raised, my needs have been satisfied a long time ago, but I think todays society is in for a wakeup call, probably after I'm gone. I'm sure my parents felt the same when I was growing up, why does that kid need another bike?
Old 12-01-2018, 11:18 AM   #57

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
While I agree there is a logical order to life, it appears todays society whatever they are called now, is it Millenials? They seem to spend everything now for instant gratification and are saving nothing for tomorrow's needs.
While that is a common trend, I hope everyone realizes that to stereotype everyone based on their year of birth is unfair and unreasonable. My nieces and nephews are all "millennials", and none fit this pattern.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 12:00 PM   #58

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I continue to enjoy seeing young folks with families get into camping and at rallies , especially enjoy seeing them perfectly happy in old bolers, used Casitas and Scamps and even in tents scoping out trailers they are saving up to buy. I realize there are financially irresponsible folks of all ages out there, I’m thankful I don’t have to support any of them on a personal basis. I continue to marvel at kids who are successful at hunting, trapping and fishing with “inferior” equipment. It’s because they get out there and do it. I was fishing at night last summer when three young people came down to the lake. They did not intrude on my area and I watched them from a distance as they hunted crayfish in the rocks in shallow water. They were using the flashlight feature on their phones for illumination! Form follows function.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-01-2018, 01:10 PM   #59

Trailer: not yet
I've loved Airstreams since I was a boy and even though they are very expensive I could probably talk myself into one except for the fact that I have been following the Airstream forums for the last few years and keep reading tale after tale of shoddy workmanship and lousy customer service from the dealer. Seems that every quality issue is the customer's fault, or the customer's problem regardless of fault. Then I read about Escape. Big difference! I will still glance longingly when I see one go by but just do not think that I can commit that much resources into a company like Thor that appears to care so little about it's customers or it's products.
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:31 PM   #60

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I continue to enjoy seeing young folks with families get into camping and at rallies , especially enjoy seeing them perfectly happy in old bolers, used Casitas and Scamps and even in tents scoping out trailers they are saving up to buy. I realize there are financially irresponsible folks of all ages out there, I’m thankful I don’t have to support any of them on a personal basis. I continue to marvel at kids who are successful at hunting, trapping and fishing with “inferior” equipment. It’s because they get out there and do it. I was fishing at night last summer when three young people came down to the lake. They did not intrude on my area and I watched them from a distance as they hunted crayfish in the rocks in shallow water. They were using the flashlight feature on their phones for illumination! Form follows function.
Iowa Dave
Dave you would have enjoyed meeting the family from Newfoundland who traveled all the way to BC and on to the Boler 50th when heading home in their 13 foot with their two teenage girls.

Then you get someone like my eldest son who had three campers last year (mind you he kept trading up making a profit each time). Last weekend went ice-fishing with him, not with his new "fishing trailer" with holes in the bottom and heat. Ice not yet thick enough. But after augering the hole (power of course) he set up his sonar and watched the fish come up off the bottom! Not the way I taught him to fish.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote