Escape vs Casita - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2009, 10:23 PM   #1

Escape vs Casita

I am looking to purchase either a Casita 17' or Escape 17'. Given the current currency conversion, the escape prices out at 3K more than an equally equipped Casita. Is there anything to consider that would warrant this premium?

Thanks in advance.
brownm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:38 PM   #2

Re: Escape vs Casita

I am also considering these two RVs. IMHO I believe the Escape is better because 1 price is about the same (more options with Escape), 2 more room, wider, 3 floor plan more comfortable (with dinette in front) you get more view in an Escape 4 battery position (much easier to get to the battery in the Escape.. 5 closet in the Escape is more practical. I find the Casita is just too small I get cabin fever or claustropobic sitting in it.
Again this is just my take on these two towables. One negative for the Escape is the distance to get one but that depends on you locale.
Which ever you choose enjoy.
vargalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:23 AM   #3

Trailer: 17

Some casita owners have had water leak through a rivet or window seam and run down the interior wall and rot out the floor since casita’s floor is encased in fiberglass. There is no where for the water to go. Also I have read about hidden plumbing leaks doing the same. Escape has drain holes in areas to allow water to drain away. Escape does not have any rivets to look after either.

In one of the casita forums there was a story of a person who had a brand new trailer and developed spider cracks in the exterior shell around a window. I think it might have even developed to warp the window seal (can’t remember for sure). Anyway they got the runaround from Casita on honoring the warranty. You can search the two casita forums to read more. Type in “spongy floor” too. But some of these posts with photos have a strange was of being deleted. You will read just as many happy stories too of course. I have yet to read a bad experience with escape warranty work or customer service so they would get my personal vote.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:45 AM   #4

Hmmm.. you're probably going to find a ton more reasons to buy an Escape on this forum vs the Casita Forum.. Having said that.. I personally thought that the layout and not using carpet as insulation was the biggest factor for us..also Tammy & Reace are completely up for modifications to their models, the Casita doesn't allow factory modifications. We were able to get out wardrobe closet cut in half & extended up to the ceiling giving us more floorspace for our dog..You'll also find on the forum other owners with modifications done at the factory.. I think you'll be happy with either one, as you'll find there's a ton of Happy Campers in both camps!

I'm not too sure if this helps but we put out a review/comparison of the different TT on our personal website here's the link
http://zimodecast.com/?p=82

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:44 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 19' Escape

My apologies to any Texan members here, but this is what my husband said:

"Let's see," (putting out one hand) "do I want to drive to Texas, or" (putting out the other hand) "do I want to drive to British Columbia?"

We are owners of an older Casita, which I absolutely love. But we are buying an Escape after only seeing one several years ago at the Fiberglass Gathering in Oregon.

There are features that we like better on the Escape, but most of those are minor. The biggest thing is that the Escape attaches the major inside components without punching rivet holes through the fiberglass. Our Casita has the rivets put in by the factory, plus a bunch more put in by former owners to attach little caddys to hold stuff.

With all the rocking and swaying, eventually the rivets become a little loose and water trickles in (especially in the horizontal rains we get here). And because it's just a giant fiberglass bowl, the water just runs down and settles somewhere in the bottom. When we got the Casita we tore the carpet out, put in a new plywood floor and linoleum and put in an extra support on the frame underneath. I've put silicone on all the rivets and around the windows but still we get a little leakage, not in the living area but underneath. Sometimes I want to punch some "drain holes" in it!!

All that said, Casita's a good trailer too, but I think the Escape is better!

Old 03-20-2009, 10:47 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Welcome to the forum!
I would echo Jeff's comments and suggest looking at his comparison video that he provided. I personally like the "warmth" and the floorplan. (A 17' B is in my not too distant future.) Additionally, the modification aspect is very important.
Outlets, lights, some cupboard mods are but some of the extras they are willing to do. I'm sure I'm driving them nuts with all my questions and requests, but they have always been very patient and cordial as well as helpful. If something would not be good to do, or if anther idea is preferable, feedback is provided. I know that after this show that they will be deluged with orders, notwithstanding the economy. The price is in Canadian dollars, and one can take advantage of that by pre-paying and taking advantage of the exchange. I looked for over 2 years (off and on), but the minute I walked into the Escape, I knew it was for me! This is it!
Old 03-20-2009, 11:01 AM   #7

Trailer: 17

brownm, another thought on cusotmer service and warranty work, Oliver trailers (very expensive) are the only company I am aware of that owners have reported warranty work paid by the company over the phone at the repair shop. Not making the customer pay first then reimburse. Maybe others can comment on how escape warranty work is handled.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:09 PM   #8

Thank you, thank you thank you.

I am a native British Columbian and plan on doing most of my camping in BC anyway. I will plan a trip to Chilliwack and check out the Escape in pereson and keep you all abreast of the process.

Thanks again.
brownm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:17 PM   #9

Jeff, your video comparisons were VERY helpful. Thanks!
I'm hatching plans to RV now, and fulltime in 2-5 yrs. 17' seems just right; small enough to manage alone, while being spacious enough for me and 2 greyhounds.
Several things about the Escape impressed me. For instance the waterproof factor from non riveting, the roof ac and fan, towability with a RAV4 6cyl, solar power potential, lots of windows, outside hatch, table aft and fore, AND flexibility with a custom order.
I'm not ceertain when I will actually take possession of an Escape, but it IS in my future. For now, my '74 Bolerwinkel is enough.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:11 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Welcome deb h,
You will not be the only solo Escapee! The floorplan in the 17' with the window placement allows for a feeling of cozy spaciousness IMHO. I'm glad to learn one is in your future..
Old 03-27-2009, 06:49 AM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb h
I'm hatching plans to RV now, and fulltime in 2-5 yrs. 17' seems just right; small enough to manage alone, while being spacious enough for me and 2 greyhounds.
Deb, there's a single woman on FiberglassRV that has an Escape 17' and two greyhounds... Anne H

You may want to converse with her to get her take on the wonders of traveling. Hint: she and her hounds LOVE the 17' Escape. But, she may be able to give you some valuable tips about traveling with what she calls two 40# couch potatoes.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:52 AM   #12

Trailer: 73 lovebug

after owning several Casitas I really like the way the Escapes are setup with out the rivets and carpet on the ceiling ..

Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:21 PM   #13

Sandra, and 12LadyBlue,
Thanks for the welcome, and the info to contact Anne. Yup, 40pmh couch spuds, that's my boys.
I'm just noting your responses today. Since I first posted, my leanings are shifting towards a 19'
Chilliwack is 3000mi from my home, but somehow, if Escape is the right TT, it will work out somehow.
Deb