ESCAPED FROM SCAMP - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2009, 11:50 AM   #1

ESCAPED FROM SCAMP

We just sold our 2002 16' Scamp. It took all of 3 days. OUR NEW 17B ESCAPE WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR PICK UP ON MAY 10th. 2010. Ever since I saw Alf's 5 I knew this was quality...the quality I wanted. Our Scamp served us well. Our most recent trip (Mid June to mid Aug. this year) took us through the Yukon and into Alaska. Over 20,000 Km by the time we got home.....not even a flat tire...and we did drive the worst gravel road ever...."Top of the World Hwy" through to Chicken and on to Tok. Now we're excited, contemplating our new arrival. Already decided on a few mods. Permanent bed, a dog house under the bed. Our Cairn Terrier travels everywhere we go and needs her space. Outside access hatches, recessed fire exting. Because my wife has parkinsons + a few adaptations to accommodate her disability. Grab bars, lower lip on entrance to bathroom. As I read through the forums there are other ideas I will likely borrow. Looking forward to being part of the Escape family of campers. We need more on the east coast.

JerryCpei
Old 11-10-2009, 11:56 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19' Escape
Re: ESCAPED FROM SCAMP

Congratulations Jerry! Great choice for a quality trailer and wonderful that you can get things configured to meet your needs.

From your perspective I'm sure May 10, 2010 seems like a long ways off. For my husband, it will be here all too soon as that is the day he turns 60!
Old 11-10-2009, 12:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Hi Jerry,

We just sold our 2007 Scamp 16' Deluxe Side Dinette last week so that we could get an Escape 17B. Ours is due May 18th.

Eric

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:13 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Welcome Jerry, and congrats on your sale and decision to purchase an Escape. Lots of great ideas abound on this forum.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Welcome Jerry, where are you on the East Coast?
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:53 PM   #6

Thanks for the greetings. We live in Prince Edward Island, Canada.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:15 PM   #7

Well welcome, and tell Anne I said hello! You will love to Escape!
Old 11-10-2009, 11:40 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: And WELCOME TOO!!! We are excited you decided to Escape also.
I am confident Reace and Tammy will look after every detail to accomodate you both and Trixie as well.
We had the most delicious lunch at (I think) Fishermans Wharf in N. Rustico. Their dinner rolls are to die for. Here's a pic as we headed for the Confederation bridge to the "Garden Province". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
bridge to PEI..jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #9

Congrats!! Glad to have you here on the forum.

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:59 PM   #10

ERIC: We're scheduled to pick up our 17B on May 10th. We intend to spend a couple weeks in the NW states and Dakota's as we head East. Maybe our paths will cross......let's keep in touch......and anyone Escaping during that time frame.

JerryCpei
Old 12-07-2009, 03:40 PM   #11

Heh Jerry, take as much time as you can. We brought Hokie home in 2 1/2 weeks, and wished we'd had 6 weeks!!! The ride back will be a trip of a lifetime I'm sure. Hope one day to get back up to PEI. Fascinating place. We stayed at a working lighthouse on the SW coast for a few days, then up North at a resort on water, and it was wonderful!!! Early June, and we were the only one's there (almost). Do ya'll eat any potatoes up there : - )
Old 12-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryCpei
ERIC: We're scheduled to pick up our 17B on May 10th. We intend to spend a couple weeks in the NW states and Dakota's as we head East. Maybe our paths will cross......let's keep in touch......and anyone Escaping during that time frame.

JerryCpei
Hi Jerry,

If you get the chance (and have never been there) - consider at stop in Yellowstone as you go across that area. Amazing place. And yes we will have to keep in touch. I am very anxious to get ours!!

Eric

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-13-2009, 08:04 AM   #13

I don't want to bash Scamps, as "for the price" they are very comfortable trailers. BUT, I as a retired technology and engineering teacher, (and before that a manufacturing company's shop foreman) I believe that products should constantly be improved. For me is very important seeing that Tammy and Reace's are constantly looking for ways to improve Escapes. Also, I loved hearing that they truly value their workers and provide a great workplace/attitude for them. Tammy and Reace "get it" - that satisfied workers make quality products and attention to customer needs and wants make satisfied customers.

Eric

Old 12-13-2009, 08:16 AM   #14

Yes, and to stay small. Such a temptation to "do a little more" to "make a little more", and the next thing you know...........
It's not worth it! I'm glad they see that, and hope they always do. It creates a lot more satisfaction in the long run.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:07 PM   #15

Hi: All... I couldn't agree more...except to say, exponentialy, satisfied customers attract more satisfied customers!!! Alf
Old 06-08-2010, 09:44 AM   #16

(I thought I would make some comments to aid any folks considering both a 16' Scamp and a 17' Escape. As I said before I am not trying to bash Scamp, but feel that potential owners of either Scamps and Escapes should hear from a variety of people with experience with both. I have no experience with Casitas for any comparisons)

Now that we are safely home with our new 17B, and after almost 3 weeks on the road and 2 pulling the Escape, we have a much better idea of the comparisons between the 16 Deluxe Side Dinette Scamp we sold and the new 17B we just brought home.

For us, the floor plan of the 17B uses the existing space much more efficiently. The 17B feels MUCH bigger inside and seemingly has a lot more storage space. The bathroom being in front of the Scamp made it feel much smaller inside. Mary kept saying that she couldn't believe that the Escape was only 1' longer. The bathroom may be a bit smaller on the 17B, but still completely functional and to us a good trade-off to lose some bathroom space and gain more living space.

The bed on the Deluxe model Scamp is a few inches wider than in the 17B. The 17B has larger fresh water, grey and black water tanks and they are arranged so that filling one or the other does not unbalance the weight on one side or the other as it did on the Scamp. Which leads to towing.

While the Scamp towed well using the friction type anti-sway bar we had (anybody want to buy it?) - the Escape tows exceptionally well. We bought the weight distributing hitch with the 17B which may be part of the reason, but I don't think the entire one. The axle on the 17B is set farther back than on the Scamp and I think that adds stability. I thought it might just be me helping to justify the new purchase, but when Mary drove, she also noticed how the Tacoma and Escape felt like one unit. It is hard to quantify, but it does indeed tow better for us.

Finally, the overall fit and finish and most all accessories are higher quality on the Escape. We have had a couple of minor glitches with the Escape - the drain holes in the pontoons didn't get drilled and the MaxiFan has broken part in the knob assembly (not Escape's fault). But the Scamp had more difficult/time consuming problems to fix when we arrived home. The ends of all the screws attaching the cabinets to the walls we at least 3/4" too long and their sharp ends stuck into all the cabinets. Also the Scamp came with no shower curtain. The first time Mary took a shower I noticed water running out from under the bathroom door. Needless to say we quickly bought and installed a shower rod and a curtain. Tammy is sending us a new MaxiFan and gave me clear instructions on where to drill the drain holes. Scamp offered no solution at all to the over long screw, nor did the person I spoke with seem concerned at all by them. I had to try to get inside each cabinet and either cut them or cover them with hot glue when the space was too tight to cut.

The bottom of the Escape is solid fiberglass, the Scamp's was OSB board with a very thin sprayed on coat of fiberglass/resin. I think that more than any other comparison was a major factor for me. I do not feel that OSB is ever an appropriate material to expose to outdoor elements.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:40 AM   #17

We fully endorse your observations. We sold our 16 Scamp last fall and picked up our 17B May 10th and arrived back on the east coast (PEI..Canada) Sunday June 6th. We had a great trip home until we struck rain in Ontario and all the way home. I want to add that the people you deal with at Escape (Tammy, Rease and the whole crew there) are head and shoulders above the Scamp folks who hardly had time for us when we visited the plant in Aug. 2009.
It's great to be rid of all the revits....all potential leaks....and we had a few in the Scamp. By the way the Casita is not a bad trailer, but they too have revits. Enjoy you 17B and if you find yourself in this neighbourhood, look us up.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:09 PM   #18

The only thing I miss from the Scamp is that extra 4 or 5" of bed width. Well actually Mary probably misses it more than I do since I'm the one who rolls and thrashes all over the place! Good thing she loves me so much!

Old 06-10-2010, 08:00 AM   #19

Hi: JerryCpei... Glad to know you and Vivian arrived home safe. It was great seeing you again if only briefly!!! The only thing I miss about our 5.0 is not being able to use it very much...retirement is comming...just not fast ENOUGH!!! Alf
Old 07-02-2010, 09:22 AM   #20

Whew, after cruising by and seeing the latest (not pretty) drama on the Scamp Yahoo site, I want to say thank you to everyone who posts here. The humor, good will and welcoming attitudes here has been ever so refreshing to me. You are all an amazing group of people!