Escaping with Kids - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2016, 08:19 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I believe the trailers have always been A/C ready, I know our 2009 was.
Escapes have only been made A/C reinforced since some time in 2009. Only just now did we hear that they are also doing the wiring as standard. Many paid for that as an option up until about now apparently. Don't know exactly when they made the wiring standard.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:33 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
I checked with Escape a few weeks ago because I don't want the A/C and I didn't even want the hole cut out.

Their answer was that all trailers come with the reinforced ceiling, wiring for A/C and the 14 inch hole cut out. There is no option to not have a hole. In that place they will install a vent. The vent is considered standard equipment.

I will probably go with two MaxxFans as I don't want the passive vent.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:40 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The Maxxfan sits between two passive vents in Ten Forward. The big egress one in the loft and the standard 14x14 over the dinette in the rear. I don't have A/C and like the ability to ventilate easily. I don't think you'd get much by installing a second MaxxFan about 3-4 feet from one another after all you're still going to have a hole in the roof.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The Maxxfan sits between two passive vents in Ten Forward. The big egress one in the loft and the standard 14x14 over the dinette in the rear. I don't have A/C and like the ability to ventilate easily. I don't think you'd get much by installing a second MaxxFan about 3-4 feet from one another after all you're still going to have a hole in the roof.
Agree. Don't think two fans will get you much more as one does a fantastic job.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:50 PM   #25

Quote:
I plan to ask about using a cheaper MaxxFan over the dinette. I would use it as the kitchen exhaust fan as I don't want the range hood. I want the good deluxe one in the loft.

Still pondering this issue for another few months.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:52 PM   #26
Site Team

I believe it's necessary for code to have the big egress passive vent in the loft. I don't think ETI will put a MaxxFan in place of that vent. You'll need to ask, for certain... but don't be surprised if they say no.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:54 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I believe it's necessary for code to have the big egress passive vent in the loft. I don't think ETI will put a MaxxFan in place of that vent. You'll need to ask, for certain... but don't be surprised if they say no.
This is correct. They can't put a window in the loft big enough for emergency egress, which is a code requirement.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:00 PM   #28
Site Team

I cook in my trailer and wouldn't be without the stove vent. I've painted enough kitchens in stick 'n bricks to know I don't want all the moisture and "stuff" on the wood cabinets or the vinyl on the ceiling in my trailer. Obviously, YMMV.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:03 PM   #29

Oops, I didn't mean the loft where the big vent is. Just the standard place on the
5.0 TA where they put the MaxxFan. It is over the stairs and near the loft. The A/C hole is right over the dinette area and since I don't want the range hood that would be a good place for an exhaust fan. I could have Escape put the MaxxFan there and the vent over the stairs but I don't want that.

(I realize you already know all of this, Donna.)
Old 11-08-2016, 11:23 AM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Hi Carl & Diane, and welcome to the 19ers.

We have traveled starting in a Scamp 13 and lots more since with our toddlers who are now teenagers. (16 & 13) Lots of the Molded Fiberglass folks have watched our kids, known as The Quartzsite Kids, grow up kinda like time-lapse photography.
We just got the 19 Escape last year and the kids sleep head to toe in their sleeping bags on the front dinette and it has worked out fine. We didn't want any other accommodations on this trailer for them since it's moving into the "not cool" to camp with Mom n Dad phase and this is our retirement trailer. When they do go along, it is working out great in the 19, and you'll love the trailer.

Your list looks great and I second the large refrigerator if not currently in the list.
Totally agree with your comment. We've got teens the same age as yours and our older son has already said he doesn't want to camp with us anymore. Same as you, this will be our retirement trailer, so I'm customizing it for OUR needs. They will be fine sleeping at the dinette, or tent.
katzam29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 12:13 PM   #31

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzam29 View Post
Totally agree with your comment. We've got teens the same age as yours and our older son has already said he doesn't want to camp with us anymore. Same as you, this will be our retirement trailer, so I'm customizing it for OUR needs. They will be fine sleeping at the dinette, or tent.
Maybe my kids are different from many in that they have always enjoyed camping with us (and still do). My three oldest kids are in their 20's and I have a teenage daughter. All of our kids enjoyed camping with us right from when they were small to the present. Just this past summer, my wife and I and our teenage daughter spent 2 weeks with our Escape. We were joined for a week in Tofino by one of our adult sons and his girlfriend, and for several days in Banff by another adult son. We regularly go on wilderness paddling trips and hiking trips with our kids and they enjoy it tremendously.

I wouldn't rule out getting the bunk with your 19' as your two small kids won't remain small forever. Our 19' has the optional bunk, and my daughter prefers sleeping on it rather than on the dinette bed. My 6' 4" son has slept on the dinette bed and on the bunk and he also prefers to use the bunk.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 12:22 PM   #32

Trailer: 2016 19 (sold)
To the OP: we have two kids just a few years younger than yours and have around 20-25 nights in our 19. Our option selection was almost identical to yours, so that list looks good to me (including no AC!). A couple of points to add to what's already been said:

- We stuck with the smaller standard fridge, paired with a high quality cooler in the back of the tow vehicle. This gives us more than enough cold space overall and also provides nice flexibility for taking food and drink in the cooler on day trips. I have not yet found the fridge to be too small, even on our two-week trip returning home from Chilliwack.

- We have the cot option but have only used it one or two nights just to see how the kids liked it. In practice our kids have plenty of room on the dinette bed, so it's easier to leave the cot at home and avoid take down and set up. Having a long roof box on our tow vehicle does make storing the cot much easier than trying to break it down completely and store in the trailer. Despite our lack of use I would probably still order the cot again, as it isn't that expensive (relatively) and offers some versatility in sleeping setups as the kids get older.

Overall we've found the 19 to be the perfect size for our family, and I think you will love it as well. The 21 would have been slightly too big to negotiate some of the places we like to camp (even our 19 has been a squeeze at times), and the 17 was a no-go mainly because of interior height (I'm 6'4").
canyonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:24 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Maybe my kids are different from many in that they have always enjoyed camping with us (and still do). My three oldest kids are in their 20's and I have a teenage daughter. All of our kids enjoyed camping with us right from when they were small to the present. Just this past summer, my wife and I and our teenage daughter spent 2 weeks with our Escape. We were joined for a week in Tofino by one of our adult sons and his girlfriend, and for several days in Banff by another adult son. We regularly go on wilderness paddling trips and hiking trips with our kids and they enjoy it tremendously.

I wouldn't rule out getting the bunk with your 19' as your two small kids won't remain small forever. Our 19' has the optional bunk, and my daughter prefers sleeping on it rather than on the dinette bed. My 6' 4" son has slept on the dinette bed and on the bunk and he also prefers to use the bunk.
That all certainly speaks well of you and your wife as parents.

I can guess that a bunk is more comfortable than the cushions for a bed. I think I would have to put something on top of the cushions.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:44 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 19'
Does anyone with the cot knows if I can leave the cot setup/made while on the move (and not cause things to fall apart.. etc) ? If the cot is more comfortable to sleep on I'd like to get that for our daughter (who is 5 right now) and setup the table for use if we really need to... since we dont plan on staying inside the trailer much besides sleeping...
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:04 PM   #35

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddoster View Post
Does anyone with the cot knows if I can leave the cot setup/made while on the move (and not cause things to fall apart.. etc) ? If the cot is more comfortable to sleep on I'd like to get that for our daughter (who is 5 right now) and setup the table for use if we really need to... since we dont plan on staying inside the trailer much besides sleeping...
We sometimes travel with the cot set up. It is very stable with little danger of falling off during travel.

The cot takes a couple of minutes to set up or takedown. We often take it down in the morning to allow room to sit at the table during the day. I usually store the cot in the rear external storage compartment below the rear bed when it is not in use (or sometimes just leave it on top of the rear bed during the day). Although it does not require a great deal of effort to set up or take down, I do look forward to travelling with just my wife so that we do not have to set up or take down the cot to use the table.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 05:31 PM   #36

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 classic "Escapade", Tow: 2020 Honda Ridgeline
Looks like a good list. SOME items you may want to consider.
- convert wardrobe to a pantry with two shelves. We have found this mod to be great.
- add umbra hooks to the bathroom wall beside the bench seat and directly facing the trailer door for hanging coats etc.
-2nd solar panel to extend duration of dry camping. WE can run the large fridge on solar when it's sunny.
-trimetric battery monitor. the one from the installed solar vendor is not that great.
-power jack
-sand pads on stabilizers
-12v drops in upper cabinet corners wIll allow you to add things in the future easily.
-surge protector. we dry camp a lot but when we don't/can't and have to plug in this will save you grief. it has warned us about 25% of the times we have hooked up.

Just my 2 cents.

John
John David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 05:57 PM   #37
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I second the pantry shelves (I've also since added sliding shelves there) the umbra hooks, the surge protector and 12V drops.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:09 PM   #38

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by John David View Post
...surge protector. we dry camp a lot but when we don't/can't and have to plug in this will save you grief. it has warned us about 25% of the times we have hooked up...
I'm curious what you do when you get a warning or error message on the surge protector. Do you just unplug from the power post and dry camp?
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 06:26 PM   #39
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I'm curious what you do when you get a warning or error message on the surge protector. Do you just unplug from the power post and dry camp?
Karen, I let the campground host know about it. The fix has varied. Sometimes they let me move to another spot, sometimes they run a 30 amp extension to another post, and sometimes they offer a discounted rate and I go without electric. In any case, the protection of the electrical system is what I'm after.

It's only happened to us maybe 4 or 5 times, but it has happened.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:42 PM   #40

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 classic "Escapade", Tow: 2020 Honda Ridgeline
Hi Karen. Good question and I really was a little worried the first time it happened as the protector will not let power into the trailer if its on. You can get power to the trailer if you turn the protector off on its panel. This disables all but the surge protection, but do you really want to do that, its there for a purpose. The first time it happened (first hookup up on 3rd night of 2nd trip with trailer it showed a reverse polarity (hot and neutral reversed). I let the campground owner know and he came and re-worked the outlet after disabling the breaker. Since that first time I've had open grounds, more reverse polarity and one low voltage. In all cases I went back to the office where I registered and they either fixed it on the spot or gave me a new campsite. Now days I plug in first and check even before un-hitching.

John
John David is offline   Reply With Quote