Escaping with Kids - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2016, 06:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Escaping with Kids

For those with kids in their Escapes, any advice? We have a 6 year old and a 10 year old and currently have a 19’ Escape on order. We have done a lot of tent camping over the years and this will be our first trailer. We have been up to Chilliwack and really like it. I think our biggest concern has been the cost of the trailer when we could get wood built for half the money. Better quality & longer lasting? We hope so.

Our current options and thoughts:

Dual 6V & Solar – Mostly camping without hookups.

Cot – For the kids. We are almost to the point where the kids will sleep in their own tent outside but we are not quite there yet. We got the cot option until we get to that point.

Extra insulation & thermal windows - We decided on framed windows for a few reasons. 1. In the bed area we liked being able to lean up against the back of the trailer and not have a screen there. 2. We feel the sliding windows will allow better airflow from the wind. 3. No knobs to bump into.

Opening kitchen window – More ventilation when raining.

Exterior shower – Children & dog cleanup with less water going to the grey tank.

Removable power cord – Better seal to keep earwigs, spiders & ants out.

Storage box – A spot for dirtier stuff outside the trailer.

2 Additional 12V/USB - For charging phones and electronics at both sides of the trailer. 1 at overhead dinette shelf driver side & 1 at stove wall by 120V #2.

Cabinet door at end of bench – Easier access to storage space from door or when bed is down.

Drawer under wardrobe closet – Another drawer in unused space sounds good.

No A/C – We decided against air conditioning because. 1. We will be mostly without hookups and won’t be able to use it. 2. Wife does not like to sleep with it on. 3. If it’s super hot we will be outside in the water staying cool. 4. Sleeping in a tent when it’s really hot has never been a problem for us. 5. Money & weight.

If you notice anything we have not thought about or have any advice – we’d love to hear it.
Thanks,
Carl & Diane
Czapffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quite the upgrade!! Very exciting!!
With a family of four, you might want to look into the bigger size fridge with its separate freezer compartment. Not only the extra cooling space, but also the often open of the fridge. The frozen food will be less affected by that.
Also, is your family planning on hanging clothes? If not, transform your closet into a pantry by adding a few shelves.
And last: Welcome to the Escape forum!
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 11:18 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czapffe View Post
We have done a lot of tent camping over the years and this will be our first trailer. We have been up to Chilliwack and really like it. I think our biggest concern has been the cost of the trailer when we could get wood built for half the money. Better quality & longer lasting? We hope so.
Carl and Diane, first of all, welcome.

Like you, we were long time tent campers before we bought our Escape. But, we didn't have to worry about having the kids along, nor did we have to worry about the price.

If all you want to do is have a decent camper, the stick built ones do fit the bill nicely for a growing family. The thing about Escapes (and for the most part all fiberglass molded trailers) is mainly the weight, the efficiency, durability, and very importantly, resale value.

If you find down the road that the Escape isn't meeting your needs as you had hoped, you can sell it for pretty much what you paid for it, and very quickly to boot. The demand for these trailers is high, to say the least.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:31 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Good choice on the Escape 19'. You might want a toilet cut-off valve and a winterizing kit. Also, I don't know what they are doing now on propane lights inside to indicate that the water heater is on, whether that is still an option.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:19 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19'
Cot for kids

Hi guys, welcome to the forum. Is it necessary to have a cot for the kids? You mentioned the ages 6 and 10...the front dinette/bed is big enough for them to sleep together (if they don't mind). That way you won't have the cot hardware to worry about. Just a thought....
katzam29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:26 AM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzam29 View Post
Hi guys, welcome to the forum. Is it necessary to have a cot for the kids? You mentioned the ages 6 and 10...the front dinette/bed is big enough for them to sleep together (if they don't mind). That way you won't have the cot hardware to worry about. Just a thought....
When I was a kid we had a VW camper, I much preferred to sleep in the overhead cot then with my sister.

Don't recall if it's an option or standard. As you're not getting AC, you might want to have the ceiling reinforced and the wiring in place for one. Would be a nice selling point as most folks do want AC.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:45 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Welcome, and congrats on your order. You seem to have thought out your options quite well, and the trailer will serve you well.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:04 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Hi Carl & Diane, and welcome to the 19ers.

We have traveled starting in a Scamp 13 and lots more since with our toddlers who are now teenagers. (16 & 13) Lots of the Molded Fiberglass folks have watched our kids, known as The Quartzsite Kids, grow up kinda like time-lapse photography.
We just got the 19 Escape last year and the kids sleep head to toe in their sleeping bags on the front dinette and it has worked out fine. We didn't want any other accommodations on this trailer for them since it's moving into the "not cool" to camp with Mom n Dad phase and this is our retirement trailer. When they do go along, it is working out great in the 19, and you'll love the trailer.

Your list looks great and I second the large refrigerator if not currently in the list.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:23 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Welcome to the Forum

Regarding the Air Conditioner. I'd agree with the comment to enforce the roof for Air. This may help resale or if you keep the 19 for use in retirement down south in the heat.

That being said we put AC on our Escape and have used it about twice since taking delivery because we usually are at campgrounds without hook-ups. So for the most part the AC is just extra weight.

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:12 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Welcome Carl & Diane! Some thoughts on your choice.
1. We had a 2002 Nash trailer that had two major leaks that went undetected until the damage was extensive. The first in 2008 cost $6800 to repair, after which we were very vigilante and checked seams regularly. The second leak in 2012 would have cost $5000, but we sold the trailer (basically gave it away). My brother-in-law had a stick built that had serious water damage after 6 years and he sold it for a song. If you look at my house on Google you will see me caulking our old trailer and I lost the battle despite my efforts. Only molded fibreglass for me! You can rest assured that your Escape is far, far less likely to have the major damage the stick built trailers are subject to.

I wanted to get a BigFoot trailer, but they had recently gone bankrupt and on the new trailers were $10,000 more and much heavier that the Escapes.

The quality of the Escapes is very good, and supported with a 2 year warranty. Our brakes, the suspension, The hot water heater, our cook top, and especially the furnace are far better in the Escape than in the Nash. Oh, and the frame came painted with rust paint, something I had to do myself on the Nash.

The support from the family owned ETI is unbelievable. I can't say enough about their quick and great response to our questions and minor repairs we needed after delivery.

I am confident you won't regret getting an Escape. It will last and will hold its value, so it is a good investment.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:40 PM   #11

Could someone please confirm that all Escapes are now built with reinforcement to take an A/C, in case someone wants to install it later.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Could someone please confirm that all Escapes are now built with reinforcement to take an A/C, in case someone wants to install it later.
There's no "A/C ready" in the options list, so I hope so.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:33 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I paid for the A/C ready option. I wanted all the wiring to be under the vinyl without me needing to run wires myself. You'll need to double-check with ETI to see if the area is reinforced as a default build.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:35 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And, I believe you want to make sure you have digital thermostat.
I'd discuss with ETI and then report back to us.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:17 PM   #15

Having reinforcement for an A/C is different from A/C ready which was a wiring option. As far as I understood, the reinforcement has been there in all models for several years now. People paid for the wiring under A/C ready. Perhaps they are now doing that wiring also as standard but someone with an order in will know that.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:52 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Having reinforcement for an A/C is different from A/C ready which was a wiring option. As far as I understood, the reinforcement has been there in all models for several years now. People paid for the wiring under A/C ready. Perhaps they are now doing that wiring also as standard but someone with an order in will know that.
True, there are two aspects to being "A/C ready". Whether it is the struture or the wiring, if either aspect is not standard, there should be an option. Of course, either part (likely just the wiring now) may just be an undocumented option.

The readiness for air conditioning in standard form could have changed - and can change again - at any time, for any model.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:28 PM   #17

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
We just finalized our build sheet and enquired about A/C ready as A/C is a popular option particularly for the resale market. However at this point we wanted to spend the A/C $ on other options and extra height is an issue for where we will be storing our trailer. However, we were told that all Escape trailers are now produced as "A/C ready" for the wiring, although this didn't address the thermostat issue.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
We just finalized our build sheet and enquired about A/C ready as A/C is a popular option particularly for the resale market. However at this point we wanted to spend the A/C $ on other options and extra height is an issue for where we will be storing our trailer. However, we were told that all Escape trailers are now produced as "A/C ready" for the wiring, although this didn't address the thermostat issue.
That is good information. So they probably had so many people making inquiries after the fact as to whether some particular trailer could take A/C that they have just made the wiring standard also.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:55 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
However, we were told that all Escape trailers are now produced as "A/C ready" for the wiring, although this didn't address the thermostat issue.
I believe the trailers have always been A/C ready, I know our 2009 was.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:58 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I believe the trailers have always been A/C ready, I know our 2009 was.
But, my 2008 is not A/C ready. I was asked if I wanted that option and turned it down. I think it cost $200 or so at that time. $200 buys a lot of beer.