Exterior access hatch locks - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2017, 09:57 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 ("Hotel California" -Aug 2017) Tow is 2016 GMC Canyon Duromax Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We changed out the lock awhile back . Also bought the cover . You get 4 keys with whatever color you want . The key is round . A little better then the key everyone has going way back Pat
Thanks to everyone who answered! Pete and I really appreciate all the great advice and wisdom we get from this forum!

Pat, did you purchase these locks from the website that I had linked, CH751 RV REPLACEMENT LOCKS, CAM LOCKS, CAMLOCKS ? They offer a few camlocks...it looks like (from your photos) that you purchased their "tubular" camlock and dust covers. Is that right? They look great in your photos and I want to just make sure that I'm ordering the same ones.
Did you just specify a 7/8 inch lock cylinder and reuse your original ETI locking arms?

We had ordered for our 21, one additional hatch on the passenger side for accessing storage under our dinette ( so we thought that we would need just two camlocks) but ETI just wrote that they made a mistake And accidentally gave us a third storage hatch to access storage on driver side under the dinette. They asked if we mind, we said no problem. So now we will order three ( unless something else uses/needs camlocks that we don't know about ? )

One last question, we leave for Chilliwack in three weeks. Are these locks hard to install
( time wise, need for tool wise) Is this something easy to do on our trip or best left to when we get home?

Thanks so much for answering and once again, for all who answered.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:12 AM   #22

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Lisa & Pete, All I've ever needed to remove and replace our hatch locks is a standard Phillip's head screwdriver to remove/replace the cam bar and a standard pair of pliers to remove/replace the hex nut on the lock itself (I'm sure it would have been more professional to use a correctly-sized boxed-end wrench, but pliers will do fine if you're careful with them). Takes less than a minute. Just be sure to take note of how the cam bar is oriented when you take it off so you can put it back on the new lock in the same orientation.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:21 AM   #23

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Exterior access hatch locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrgtic4 View Post
Are these locks hard to install (time wise, need for tool wise) Is this something easy to do on our trip or best left to when we get home?

Lisa & Pete,

Easy - peasy

It's a five minute job. A small crescent wrench and a screwdriver should be all you need.

Remove the screw to the locking arm.
Remove the nut on the lock barrel
Slide the old lock out and the new one in
Align the lock and screw the nut down until tight (no need to overdo)
Attach the locking arm
Test the lock with the hatch OPEN
Test it again with the hatch open (different key)
Close the hatch and lock it
Done!

(I see that Dale is much faster than I am. He's not the only one!)
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:21 AM   #24

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
We had ordered for our 21, one additional hatch on the passenger side for accessing storage under our dinette ( so we thought that we would need just two camlocks) but ETI just wrote that they made a mistake And accidentally gave us a third storage hatch to access storage on driver side under the dinette.
Well, I guess in terms of mistakes, that's a good one. Good thing you didn't mind. Wonder if it could have been fixed if you didn't want it. I don't use the storage area under the dinette in the passenger side, so a storage door there would be quite nice. I do use the one on the driver's side.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:45 AM   #25

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Thanks to everyone who answered! Pete and I really appreciate all the great advice and wisdom we get from this forum!

Pat, did you purchase these locks from the website that I had linked, CH751 RV REPLACEMENT LOCKS, CAM LOCKS, CAMLOCKS ? They offer a few camlocks...it looks like (from your photos) that you purchased their "tubular" camlock and dust covers. Is that right? They look great in your photos and I want to just make sure that I'm ordering the same ones.
Did you just specify a 7/8 inch lock cylinder and reuse your original ETI locking arms?

We had ordered for our 21, one additional hatch on the passenger side for accessing storage under our dinette ( so we thought that we would need just two camlocks) but ETI just wrote that they made a mistake And accidentally gave us a third storage hatch to access storage on driver side under the dinette. They asked if we mind, we said no problem. So now we will order three ( unless something else uses/needs camlocks that we don't know about ? )

One last question, we leave for Chilliwack in three weeks. Are these locks hard to install
( time wise, need for tool wise) Is this something easy to do on our trip or best left to when we get home?

Thanks so much for answering and once again, for all who answered.
Morning . I purchased from Industrial Lock &Hardware, Inc . Phone number (800)9329490 direct phone number (661)224-1010
Home

I remember I talked to them when I ordered . They had instructions also online . You receive everything. Very easy to change out . Yes I purchased the cover also . It is called Cam Lock Dust Cover . The lock is a cam lock with 4 keys and you chose the color . My paper work says item RTCL 7803. 1 5/8x1/8-NP-01-KA . I would call them and make sure . Hope this helps . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:47 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Morning . I purchased from Industrial Lock &Hardware, Inc . Phone number (800)9329490 direct phone number (661)224-1010
Home

I remember I talked to them when I ordered . They had instructions also online . You receive everything. Very easy to change out . Yes I purchased the cover also . It is called Cam Lock Dust Cover . The lock is a cam lock with 4 keys and you chose the color . My paper work says item RTCL 7803. 1 5/8x1/8-NP-01-KA . I would call them and make sure . Hope this helps . Pat
If you are getting 3 doors , you need 3 locks . I think you can get them to all be the same key . But I would give them a call . Pat
Old 07-21-2017, 11:26 AM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 ("Hotel California" -Aug 2017) Tow is 2016 GMC Canyon Duromax Diesel
Thanks again, to everyone for all the help! :-)
Old 07-21-2017, 11:33 AM   #28

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Looks like Camco has an RV related one that is an Ace Lock type"
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-44303-A...ce%2Block&th=1
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:17 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Looks like Camco has an RV related one that is an Ace Lock type"
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-44303-A...ce%2Block&th=1
Greg have ordered these before for our camper doors . Prefer the ones I purchased for Escape . Pat
Old 07-27-2017, 10:41 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
I'm trying to figure out if changing my locks is something I should do.

Has anyone had something stolen from their trailer compartment? If so, was this during storage or while camping?

I have seen a number of campers with their outside compartments wide open while camping and I haven't heard of anything being taken out of them.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:03 PM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
I'm trying to figure out if changing my locks is something I should do.

Has anyone had something stolen from their trailer compartment? If so, was this during storage or while camping?

I have seen a number of campers with their outside compartments wide open while camping and I haven't heard of anything being taken out of them.
I haven't seen it either, but the CH751 locks are common, and thieves certainly have the key for them. I think the whole cam lock replacement thing is maybe more appropriate for the big motor coaches and 5th wheels with the large bays underneath where lots of items are stored. But, changing the lock to a cam lock isn't a bad idea even on a small trailer.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:10 PM   #32

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
We had storage at work that had a similar locks on the cabinets. I got tired of digging out the key, so I just yanked on the cabinet door, bending the cheap tab that was supposed to prevent theft. Didn't need a key from then on.
I'm not suggesting that as a solution, but I don't think you can do much to keep a determined thief out.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:58 AM   #33

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I hated having to lock them just to close them I don't keep anything that is that valuable in them anyway
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 02:05 AM   #34

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Never heard of anyone stealing anything from them, just don't mark one of the doors BEER.

Like Glen mentions, the little lock lever bends too easy to make the locks worth much of anything, but if it makes you sleep better replace them.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:04 AM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
To me the scary thing is the "access to the inside of the trailer through these doors." I'm not real big and could easily get into my 19 through the hatch!
Old 07-28-2017, 10:13 AM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
To me the scary thing is the "access to the inside of the trailer through these doors." I'm not real big and could easily get into my 19 through the hatch!
You must be REALLY small. No way we could get into the trailer through that hatch. [emoji1]
Old 07-28-2017, 10:14 AM   #37

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
I would love it if you could post a video of this feat.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:38 AM   #38

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
You must be REALLY small. No way we could get into the trailer through that hatch. [emoji1]
In the new ones its easy. I'm 6'1" 187 Lbs and I can crawl through mine. I was halfway in it this morning as a matter of fact looking for where I hid a bag of vinyl gloves.
I found them later hidden in a cardboard box in the storage box.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:00 AM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
In the new ones its easy. I'm 6'1" 187 Lbs and I can crawl through mine. I was halfway in it this morning as a matter of fact looking for where I hid a bag of vinyl gloves.
I found them later hidden in a cardboard box in the storage box.
I guess the "new" ones are taller then? On my 19 I can't even get my fat head through the hatch, let alone anything else.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:50 AM   #40

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
U might consider a Combi lock, size 7/8. That's all u need to know re measurements. Available on Amazon and from many rv parts stores. I've used them before and they work great. Best of all-no key to lose, u do have to remember a 3 digit code, like maybe ur birthday and month or whatever 3 numbers works for u as u can easily reset the code.
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote