Fifth-Wheel in or near Los Angeles? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2010, 12:36 PM   #1

Fifth-Wheel in or near Los Angeles?

Hi Everyone,
My husband and I are interested in the Escape Fifth-wheel. We are wondering if any of you owners are going to be in or near Los Angeles sometime soon. We are willing to travel to meet you.
We're torn between the Fifth-wheel or a nineteen foot trailer. Does the fifth-wheel feel more spacious? Is there a vast difference in maneuvering the 5th-Wheel as opposed to the trailer. We have an extremely tight and mountainous neighborhood in which to navigate.
We will be purchasing a vehicle to match the trailer. Any advice?

Also, in the California sun, do you recommend a cover?

Thanks for the thoughtful information on your forum. Hope to be an owner one day.
Sincerely,
Nanette
nanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Re: Fifth-Wheel in or near Los Angeles?

Hi Nanette, welcome to the forum.

Not sure if any 5.0's are in your neck of the woods, but Tammy at Escape would know for sure.

the 5.0 and the 19 are both quite nice. The biggest advantage to the 5.0 is the way the bed works, entering it from the end instead of one person crawling over the other (but that can be fun too ). I had considered that, but did not want to have a pickup dedicated to the trailer, when an SUV would work better for me the rest of the time.

We are very please with our 19, and there is not a road out there that I would not take it, where someone with the 5.0 would go. Combined with our Pilot I can maneuver in some very tight places.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: nanette...Sorry we're so far away. I'm only "California Dreamin'".
The 19'er sleeps side to side vs. the 5.0's front to back. The 19'er is 6" wider than the 5.0. Our 5.0 has a truck under the bed and storage under the dinette.
In both trailers Escape has utilized every sq. in. of space to the max. so we have yet to run out of it in the 5.0!!!
As for the need for a pickup...thats as personal a choice as equiping your trailer. I think a 4dr. Nissan V6 4X2 Crew cab long box is as good as it gets as lots of 5.0 owners have them.
I'm sure Tammy can help you locate an owner somewhere close by with no obligation on your part. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
self portrait.jpg   escape duel.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:30 PM   #4

Trailer: No RV for now.

Nanette, I think the choice of trailer, whether a 5.0 or 19ft., is personal preference. I highly recommend that you actually view both models. It really helped us to make the final choice. For us, the 19ft. seemed more spacious, but there are pros and cons for both when comparing. Pete and I agreed with Jim; we did not want to change vehicles, nor did we want to get a pick-up so that we could purchase a 5.0. Having the WDH, and a V-8 4-runner, we feel confident that we can go anywhere a 5.0 would be able to go, and as easily. Our 17ft. Escape was a dream to pull. It helped us to check the site that Garand noted on the forum: http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml
It is good to make sure your tow vehicle has the actual capacity to pull your fully loaded trailer, which ever one you choose. In any case, you will be impressed with either model of Escape; it is a great trailer, no matter which model.

Good luck as you go through this process.
Linda