Final build sheet - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2019, 05:39 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 19’ Escape
Final build sheet

Hi , We are finalizing our build sheet for our 19’ Escape. Getting excited to pick it up in Oct and try it out! This forum has been super helpful as we have so many questions and are new to this kind of trailer. We’ve always had pop up tent trailers.
We have a couple questions:
- we are debating whether to get the storage compartment that sits on front of trailer. We are pulling trailer w Highlander so have some room in car. Any thoughts on this?
-we are also considering getting a cover as we don’t have covered storage for trailer and live in PNW so pretty wet winters. Any experience with theses?
Ahern2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Everybody who has the front storage box loves it. Great place for dirty and wet gear. I don't have it, but wish I did.
As for cover, the best cover is a good coat of wax. I keep asking those who have a fabric cover what they use to protect it from dirt and mould, but nobody answers me.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
I do not have the 19, but I think most of those who get the option love it and those that do not, wish they did. Can never have enough storage space.

I believe another side benefit is some protection to front of trailer from rocks etc.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:49 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I always thought covers were good in sunny places but damp and wet will allow mold to grow. I'd not cover in the PNW area....just my $.02 and worth every penny.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:06 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016. 2016 Escape 19 Sold 2019. 2019 Escape 21 picked up Sep 2019
Definitely get the front storage.

I would pass on the cover. My sister has one for her Bigfoot 25 and it's a great home for mice in the winter. More trouble than it's worth, I think. You can always get it later, if you want.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:24 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
The front box is indispensable for us. Yup, wet and muddy stuff like chocks and blocks and a bunch of other stuff. You can get the factory one or make your own if you have tools and the inclination. Several have.

I live in the rain forest not far from Vancouver but with about twice the rain. I like keeping the trailer covered when it's not being actively used. This cover is 4 years old, still in good shape, and will be used on the new 21.

Yes, Glen, it does get a bit of green stuff on it and, yes, we actually do wash it. Stretch it out on the driveway in the Spring, brush, soap, hose and hang. I'm going to take a photo next time I'm cleaning it.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:59 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA Oct 2019;current Escape 19 2017
19 owner here - we have the front storage box and love it. The batteries are in there (freeing up space under the bench area), hoses, chocks, levelers, & assorted other things that are needed for quick setup.

When deciding to buy a TA, DH's biggest concern was where to put all the stuff we now keep in the storage box.

If you don't get it now, you'll probably either wish you had or end up getting one later....

As far as a cover, we always kept the 19 in a carport. But the carport is not big enough for the TA so we bought a cover... I don't know whether we will like it or not, but cannot stand to just let it sit uncovered....
As others have pointed out, you can always buy a cover later if you decide you want one.
dmdunca44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:27 AM   #8

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdunca44 View Post
19 owner here - we have the front storage box and love it. The batteries are in there (freeing up space under the bench area), hoses, chocks, levelers, & assorted other things that are needed for quick setup.

When deciding to buy a TA, DH's biggest concern was where to put all the stuff we now keep in the storage box.
You will be surprised at how much stuff you can fit in the front storage area in the 5.0TA. And depending on your truck, if you have room for a tool box in front of the hitch that can more than offset the loss of the front storage box on your 19.
Attached Thumbnails
Front Bin 2.jpg   Recon hitch 1.jpg  
Old 07-26-2019, 09:31 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA Oct 2019;current Escape 19 2017
Thanks for those photos, David. I'm saving them for DH. I've suggested a front tool box for the truck bed..... Our truck bed is so high though we may need to carry a small step stool to get into it...
dmdunca44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdunca44 View Post
Thanks for those photos, David. I'm saving them for DH. I've suggested a front tool box for the truck bed..... Our truck bed is so high though we may need to carry a small step stool to get into it...
I do in fact carry a small plastic folding step stool right in the top of the tool box. I had this tool box on my 20 year old truck, the bed sides are so much higher now that when I moved it to the new truck I made a wood platform under it to raise it up to the top of the bed rails to make reaching inside easier.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:39 AM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
Absolutely get the front box. It's uber convenient. We store the dump gloves & dump hose angle pipe piece in one side, fresh water hose & tongue lock and other stuff in the other. Also, when parked, we store the hitch/ball from the car receiver in the box. Also all the pins and small stuff that our WDH requires. Get the box!

In the mtns of Colorado we stored our (previous) Scamp trailer for 10 years under a custom sized CalMark cover. They're expensive, but amortizing the cost over 10 years, it was actually "cheap". If Spokane is dry like Colorado, I'd recommend a CalMark cover.
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:29 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 19’ Escape
Thank you for all your input! We are getting closer to finalizing the build sheet. Anything else you love or wish you had ordered?
Ahern2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahern2 View Post
Thank you for all your input! We are getting closer to finalizing the build sheet. Anything else you love or wish you had ordered?
Not sure if it got mentioned on this thread, it has been on others....really wish we had known to ask to have the long back bench seat cushion and back in two pieces. The one long piece is very unwieldy to remove when you want to get under the back bench for anything.

Also, I have heard that they will substitute a 2-way fridge instead of the 3-way. Wish we had known that - will never use the fridge on 12 volts, and would avoid the problems if it inadvertently got switched to 12 volts, drains the battery pretty quickly.