FIRST 2016 CLASSIC 21ft AND RAM 1500 TRIP - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2017, 03:35 PM   #41

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Thank you Pat. I always enjoy your posts and perspective on things.
I forgot to mention Pat - both Kim and I would like to wish you a very happy BIRTHDAY !!!!

Seventy-one is a great age to be, I can't wait, seriously. We improve with age and you certainly prove that !

Happy Birthday Pat.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:46 PM   #42

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
I forgot to mention Pat - both Kim and I would like to wish you a very happy BIRTHDAY !!!!

Seventy-one is a great age to be, I can't wait, seriously. We improve with age and you certainly prove that !

Happy Birthday Pat.
Santiago and Kim Thankyou for the birthday wishes ! I don't feel any older but the body kind of gives you away . I want to do so much and believe me I give it a good shot.I guess that is what is important to just keep living and doing . One foot in front of the other , and keep moving . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:24 PM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
I then proceeded to remove the standard Interstate group 27 12v battery and box and proceeded to add 4 Lifeline 6v AGMs, Xantrax temperature regulated marine charger and dc to dc step up charger for truck to trailer charging.
Santiago-

Can you add a little more info about how you get the charge from your truck's alternator to your trailer? How does the dc-to-dc step up charger help? Thanks.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:11 PM   #44

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Santiago-

Can you add a little more info about how you get the charge from your truck's alternator to your trailer? How does the dc-to-dc step up charger help? Thanks.
Hello Mike,

I offered details on Post 37, that should help but I am more than happy to answer further questions after your review of Post 37.

Meantime, I will say this - I ran wire from truck battery to hitch, connected to trailer and continued running wiring to back of trailer. There I have the 40 amp DC to DC step up charger that through its built in circuitry is able to take whatever feeble voltage it sees coming from the truck and steps it up to a steady and consistent 14.4v that will bulk charge. This is stage 1. Like any decent 3 stage charger, it runs stage 2 and 3 (float) at appropriate time. Basically its a DC transformer that steps up voltage. Without it you are at the mercy of whatever leftover voltage the truck battery can deliver.

One rule we must all follow whether you do what I did or just charge directly from the truck battery is to use as heavy a wire gauge as you can muster. I used 4 AWG to keep voltage drop reasonably low.

This dc to dc charger works great. I was not terribly worried over the performance as this set up is used extensively on caravans in Australia. Other brands in the UK, I spent much time discussing my build with the manufacturer and almost met one of their representatives when he was visiting our country. Very good people to deal with and they speak English. He was shocked to hear that in the states products like theirs are rare. I think the Ausies, Zealanders and European RV industry is way ahead of the North American RV industry. Next go around, I will be using an 120 amp DC to DC charger as AGM batteries thrive on high charging rates. That means that after dry camping for a couple of days, the batteries will be fully charged before the truck gets out of the campground ; > ) Mike you know I am pulling your leg, but batteries will top up three times faster.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:27 PM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Hello Mike,
Meantime, I will say this - I ran wire from truck battery to hitch, connected to trailer and continued running wiring to back of trailer. There I have the 40 amp DC to DC step up charger that through its built in circuitry is able to take whatever feeble voltage it sees coming from the truck and steps it up to a steady and consistent 14.4v that will bulk charge.
Thanks for the clarification. I had read Post 37 (and should have quoted from it instead) but I wasn't clear on how you were getting your DC voltage from the truck. I see you connected your thick wire directly to the battery and have the DC-to-DC converter in the trailer. Now I understand.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:58 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I had read Post 37 (and should have quoted from it instead) but I wasn't clear on how you were getting your DC voltage from the truck. I see you connected your thick wire directly to the battery and have the DC-to-DC converter in the trailer. Now I understand.
Hi Mike,

More details on the 4 AWG welding cable connected to the truck's positive battery post can be found on thread titled "Dedicated 10 ga wire for power to 7-pin on TV" Post 6 dated 30 July 2017.

This shows that immediately after the positive post connection, there is a 60 amp fuse. Then the hot lead runs to a Normally open heavy duty solenoid ( N.O. SPST ) that prevents the truck and trailer house batteries from sharing power when the truck ignition is OFF. This will prevent any truck starting battery drain when parked and the charge line is connected to trailer at hitch. This is usually the case for us as we almost always stop everywhere to sight see or spend the night at a freebie overnight stop. Yes we are economical travelers. The solenoid takes the worry out of having an overnight truck battery drain. That is the traditional concern, however in our case since our large trailer battery storage is almost always full, the truck battery can not possibly go flat. In practice we don't need the automatic solenoid disconnect but it's good engineering practice to follow protocol.

The 4 AWG positive line from truck battery to back of truck is just one cable. Back there the negative (ground line) is attached to the truck frame and that's how the circuit completes. Same thing with the trailer. One positive run underneath trailer encased in ribbed loom using the trailer frame as the returning ground. Being paranoid, using a dremel type grinder I ground paint, etc on frame down to bare metal, only around ground connection spot. Drilled and tapped bolt hole and made sure ground terminal made friends with the bare frame. After tightening bolt on freshly cut threads, I covered it with sealant to keep moisture from getting to that joint. Did same on the truck frame. It pays to be careful.

Hope this answered your question, write if you have any other.