First frost - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2015, 12:38 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
First frost

We had our first frost last night and although BlackJack has not been winterized yet, I turned the water heater on for awhile to keep the water warm throughout the night. I also drained the fresh tank. Planning on going camping for Halloween and then winterizing.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Last 2 nights we had hard frosts. (Finally all the veggie garden stuff is done. ) Luckily Blue is winterized and tucked away in the shed that it shares with our Kubota tractor.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We also had a hard freeze Friday night but it was only down to about 40 degrees in the building we built for the escape. We hope to get out for a few days yet this month and then winterize. Our sons wedding last Saturday was outdoors and though it was cool, we had bright blue skies, no wind and falling leaves. Rita and I won the anniversary dance at 45 years.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:02 PM   #4

Had some meat cookies this am, thought of you Dave....The jalapeno Spam is next in line...
Old 10-19-2015, 03:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Dave - do you get the Asian Lady Beetle swarm attacks in your part of Iowa? Worst year ever for us. Feels like an Alfred Hitchcock movie outside. What a great idea it was to import them!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-19-2015, 03:37 PM   #6

Cool weather

Eric
Yes we have the Asian lady beetles, they are very aggressive on feeding on fruit. Where an apple about ripe can stand a couple of bird pecks and still make a good pie apple or applesauce Apple, the beetles get right in there and ruin it. We had tons this year but Jap beetle was was down. Emerald ash borer, another import Is in our area but not severe yet. I met the illustrator of the definitive work on Iowa prairie plants a couple of weeks ago and told him I had studied under Landers and Christiansen at Iowa State. Christiansen was the author of this book and on Sunday, my oldest daughter gave me an autographed copy of the book that Mark Miller had illustrated. I have been studying up and as the used to say when I went to school,'gettin heavy'
Dave
Old 10-19-2015, 05:44 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I winterized a couple of weeks ago, and since then we have had nice unseasonably warm temperatures. I'm not complaining. Is still great cycling weather.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:53 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Is still great cycling weather.
It certainly is. We went out west mountain biking yesterday, and the weather was perfect. Next weekend looks to be great too, so will head out again.

What an autumn to be without a trailer, we certainly have had fantastic weather for any outdoor pursuits this year.

This is by far my favourite time of the year.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:01 PM   #9

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
I had mine winterize two weeks ago in NJ, and glad I did. I store mine a bit north of me in the foothills of the Catskill Mountains, it got down to 22 there the other night.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:33 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
We had our first frost on Friday night / Saturday morning. I led a cycling club ride on Saturday morning. 50 miles of hills. We were toasty going uphill and freezing going down the hills. But it warmed up by the afternoon. Today it was almost 70. Lots of Japanese Beetles.

I got the trailer taken care of last week. All washed and polished. Got the Solar Fix done. put some caulk on the top of the tail lights where they were separating from the trailer body. Tightened one of the bolts on the awning support. Sanitized the water system, then blew it out and poured pink antifreeze down the drains and in the toilet. At one point my neighbor came over and said he wished he had a trailer so he would have something to wash and wax :-) It is back at the storage yard, waiting for our next adventure (January?)
Old 10-19-2015, 08:35 PM   #11

How about that snow they got in the Adirondacks? I saw a picture on TV of a campground full of campers covered with snow and it did not look like they were in storage. Glad it was not me. We pulled the Escape past Clingmans Dome in the Smokies two years ago. Black ice and snow on the road. Easy does it. I brought her down safe and sound just like Goofy in the old Micky Mouse cartoon.
Dave
Old 10-19-2015, 08:48 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
While I agree with Jim Bennett that we've had some great weather recently, the first frost was so long ago that the leaves of the trees on my property have all turned... and dropped, and been picked up.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:49 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We had 77 F today and no lows to freezing the next week. Seems warmer than usual.

We are looking at the winterizing t-valve and wondering if we will still need to pump anti-freeze through city water since the t-valve is at the pump. If we pump from the pump, not sure if that covers every line that pumping into city water inlet does. We do not use air, only anti-freeze.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:05 PM   #14

Our 19 has the low point drain so emptying the fresh water tank is a matter of opening the drain valve. Then taking out the anode empties the hot water tank which can then be isolated. Then the three way valve is used with the pump to suck antifreeze out of the jug and push it through all the outlets and into the drains. However, if you don't have the low point drain, I'd guess that air pressure with the fitting that goes to your air pump or compressor would be the way to push out your fresh water.
Sorry I can't tell you the whole process on your specific trailer for sure, but I do know the pump will push antifreeze everywhere the faucet is opened. Don't forget the shower hose and head. when I am all done I take it off at the sink and stretch it out and drain it into the sink or toilet and leave it dry for the winter.
Dave
Old 10-19-2015, 09:22 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Thanks, Dave. We did the 19', no problem. We do not use air. The 21' with no low-point drain is different and we are using a t-valve connected to the pump that was an option that ETI put on the pump for us. Not sure that will cover all of the lines.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:20 AM   #16

Be careful, a low point drain is not located on your fresh water tank. That only empties the tank. The low point drain is located else where and it empties the water in the lines inside the trailer, thereby eliminating issues there. Some Escape models, like the 21 do not have a low point drain, I believe the 19 does, if my memory serves me correct, and it is separate from the fresh tank.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:25 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I'm slowly working my way South & West - Monday, October 19th at Natural Chimneys County Park, VA 23°F at 6:00AM with the RAV4 covered with frost, Tuesday (today) 29°F at 6:00 at Babcock State Park in WV. Looking forward to an above freezing morning!
Old 10-20-2015, 07:26 AM   #18

You should find warmth today, Jon, have a great trip. I believe Oswego got some snow yesterday.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:28 AM   #19

Low point drain

I'm sorry about my terminology on draining fresh water on our 19. I should have said, open the low point drain AND open the 1/2 turn plastic valve near the bottom of the fresh water tank. Once they both stop draining, close the low point drain and I close the tank drain and then go along with the pump and antifreeze. If you don't close the low point drain, there's a mysterious accumulation of RV antifreeze on your driveway and some bad language I learned on the kill in the packinghouse. Thanks for the caution Jim, it's been a year since I winterized and when I'm not right there to look at it, I forget.
Dave
Old 10-20-2015, 08:31 AM   #20

On mine the low point drain has a screw in plug, and yes Dave, I have experienced that same mysterious wet spot..... about a gallon and a half of antifreeze I'd guess.