First Impressions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2018, 04:22 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
First Impressions

Hi,
We've taken delivery of our 5.0 TA, and let me say, we are happy. We stayed 5 days right off the get go, used the systems, no hitches whatsoever in functionality, so far. We love the decision we made. We are looking forward to early retirement in 2 years and are taking off across the country on a wild adventure, God willing.
But let me say all is not perfect, and it could have been so easily, and with very little effort from ETI.
Just a couple niggles that may help others. Or may help me. When we were in our orientation, we came upon the table. We had the marine plunger telescoping mount put in, can't recall the manufacturer right now. The nice gal went to demonstrate, then hesitated. She said "I could show you", but then didn't. Upon studying the situation, I saw the issue. The seat cushions were made a little wide, thus necessitating their removal to put the table down, thus negating the advantage of the plunger style of table stand, in my mind at least. The table stand we got was to me a help in quick setup/teardown of the table. But the width of the cushions prevented this, they were too big and overhang the edge where you have to remove them to put the table down. Anyone else have this problem?. In fact, this would prevent ease of conversion no matter what the method of stand. I commented about this, "sure would have been nice to have the width of those cushions to allow the table to go down", kind of met with a few seconds of silence. So, my wife says she can alter them no problem, so not a real huge deal, just took a bit of shine off the experience is all.
Next, we got all the tv options available. The king antenna, tv this and that. I don't have the build sheet in front of me, but suffice to say, I do know that the audio unit has dvd functionality, which I though "neat, we can stick a move in and watch in bed". Not. At least as it comes. It requires I hook up the dvd video, which I stlll have to figure out. Perhaps some holes, not sure yet. TBD.
During our outing, the olympics were going on. We stayed in Lynden Wa. I was able to dial in 2 olympic channels, one from Canada (lots of curling), and one that I think was French, but not sure. Was happy with that, antenna works great. Then I remember commenting to my wife, "I sure wish I'd remembered to bring a dvd, I wonder how they have the dvd video coupled into this single Rg6 connection they've included, given it's already wired straight to the antenna?". Well, they don't. They could have wired the dvd video connection out to the same jack panel with an hdmi or other connection, but they didn't. Why they offer the DVD player, without the option to see the video, I don't know. I can hear the audio though, when inserting a dvd. Not real useful, in my mind.
So, just a couple of small items that removed a little glimmer off the shine. But first world problems, lol. This is really just to make others perhaps a bit more aware. These are issues well able to address. We're still very excited for our second trip (Oregon coast) coming up in a couple short weeks, this time with our lovely daughters. Spring is already upon us people. I can't wait.
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:52 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Sounds like a wonderful trailer that you are going to make great memories in. We retrofitted a Springfield pedestal and you do have to move the cushions slightly to get it in to position. It doesn’t negate the functionality of the pedestal because the alternative is the table is on two lousy stands and you are lifting it off. Remember too that these pedestals are not a standard ETI option so some minor “integration” issues would not be unexpected. Best of luck with the trailer.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:09 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
My Springfield pedestal also contacts the visions on its way down. I simply tilt the upward if and when I want to lower the table. If we were to “alter” the cushions, it is likely that the back of ones legs would contact the wood framing and be uncomfortable. I personally do not find lifting the fron edge of the cushions upward (they stay in place by friction) any inconvenience at all. The orientation person probably wasn’t sure how the pedestal worked and didn’t want to mess anything up.

As far as the stereo/DVD player, I cannot speak to yours because ETI switched from a Jensen to (I believe) a Boss. With my Jenson, I simply had to fish the yellow video wire out of the back of the units cover. I went to a Radio Shack (not many open now but Best Buy would have what is needed) and got a yellow “extension” and a coax input adapter and it works just fine.

Many people work diligently on their build sheet believing that the final result will be perfection, to get everything absolutely correct. Yet still we most often say that “I wish I had.......” I failed to have an additional outlet installed but didn’t realize it would have been nice until using the trailer for a while. But that is why the word “mod” comes up so often on this forum. Glad you like the trailer. Enjoy!
Old 03-08-2018, 07:54 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I too just tilt the cushions up to drop the table, it is just a couple seconds extra work. My thinking is that they do this on purpose to extend the cushion over the ledger strip the table top rests on when down.

I can't comment on your TV or stereo, as all I had Escape do was to run coax and power to two locations. There I just use my laptop to play DVDs or recorded shows. I added my own mast mounted antenna, but we watch so little TV, have yet to try it out.

I have probably found a couple dozen things I wish Escape had of done, or had of done different. Nothing critical, just small things that would be nice for me. But no different than with all the mods I want to do and have yet to get done, none of them stop me from going and making memories.

Great to hear you are otherwise happy with your new trailer. I am with mine.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:05 AM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The reason we started with the Springfield table leg was cause the originals wobble badly, not having to remove the legs to convert to a bed was a side benefit. All of us need to move the cushions to push it down. No way am I chopping down the cushions for such a small inconvenience. You have to move them with the original configuration too.

No idea about the tv.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:20 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21; previously a 2012 Escape 19
We picked up our new 21 last Nov. Our seat cushions are slightly wider than the table allowing them to overlap the ledger strip as Jim stated. Also, we purchased two filler boards with cushions for converting the U-dinette to a lounge. The extra seat cushion width nicely holds all in place.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:41 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
If you cut down the cushions you will probably wind up with a gap between them when you use it as a bed. This might prove uncomfortable, think ETI already figured that out.😁
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:58 AM   #8

Step 1: Watch this video on converting the table from 13:08-15:30

Step 2: Realize how great the Springfield or Lagun pedestals are.

Step 3: Bask in glory if you already have one. Consider buying one if you don't.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:36 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenk View Post

We stayed in Lynden Wa. I was able to dial in 2 olympic channels, one from Canada (lots of curling), and one that I think was French, but not sure. Was happy with that, antenna works great. .
Um, I'm guessing the second channel was also from Canada. It's our second language. CBC broadcasts in both English and French.

If you look at TV Fool you'll see a polar diagram for fairly strong stations you'll see there are some in several directions, NE, NW and SW. Did you aim your antenna in these directions?

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:01 PM   #10

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i also had an issue with the DVD player - got lots of help on this forum to fix it. i needed to get a yellow connector i think video only (sound was working- coming from stereo) which connected to the back of the stereo unit to the TV . i had to remove the stereo unit to get to the plug in to the back to do this - pain in the back side! i drilled a hole in the cabinet to run it through the back to the TV. If i had known it all would be so hard i would not have ordered the unit from ETI. They really need to rethink this arrangement so it works without all the hassle. this was my only complaint about my trailer everything else was perfect! my cushions are tight but really no issue table drops perfectly to make the bed.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:28 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Yes, you would think if they supply and install it, the cable would installed in the first place. Any chance they are not aware of this? I know when we got the stereo/DVD player setup in our 20009 19, they ran the sound and video to a set of RCA outlets to where the TV setup was.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:38 PM   #12

yes my 2012 17B was all set up and wired to use the DVD. i think they changed this a while ago not sure when or why. They are aware that it is irritating but i don't think they understand how difficult it is to get it working. they said i just need to buy a video cable and plug it in -really cant do that without taking the installed unit down there is no room in the back to get the cable plugged in without taking the unit down.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:25 PM   #13

Seems strange that earlier trailers sound like they had A/V connections, but newer trailers are lacking the pre-wired outputs. Easier on the 19's and 17's with presumably only one TV jack location. A little more complicated on trailers that may be opting for two locations (5.0's and 21's?), but can still be done. If ETI is committed to a factory option of providing a stereo/DVD then there is a reasonable expectation of buyers that the DVD player would be useful. ETI should provide the necessary wiring to make sure there is a seamless integration and use of the system. Otherwise, they need to be explicit in stating that the wiring isn't complete or might as well just call it a stereo.

Granted Oliver's have a much higher starting price and they provide the TV as part of their Entertainment package, but this is what they list:
•24” Flat Screen LCD TV with Integrated Jensen AM/FM Radio, Bluetooth,HDMI, DVD, MP3, and CD-R/RW Playback
Old 03-08-2018, 02:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
If you cut down the cushions you will probably wind up with a gap between them when you use it as a bed. This might prove uncomfortable, think ETI already figured that out.[emoji16]

Or just make the others slightly wider when they’re made. We’re only talking an inch here. Just enough to make it inconvenient. It just took some of the convenience out of having the pedestal in the first place. I thought others might like to know On here, perhaps they could request that escape make the cushions slightly different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2018, 02:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
i also had an issue with the DVD player - got lots of help on this forum to fix it. i needed to get a yellow connector i think video only (sound was working- coming from stereo) which connected to the back of the stereo unit to the TV . i had to remove the stereo unit to get to the plug in to the back to do this - pain in the back side! i drilled a hole in the cabinet to run it through the back to the TV. If i had known it all would be so hard i would not have ordered the unit from ETI. They really need to rethink this arrangement so it works without all the hassle. this was my only complaint about my trailer everything else was perfect! my cushions are tight but really no issue table drops perfectly to make the bed.

Yeah that is what I’m thinking of doing. Debating. I just thought others might assume the same thing when ordering a DVD player that they might assume they can actually see video upon delivery. Really just this is just an FYI, I’m not really that perturbed about it, we love the trailer otherwise, just a courtesy post for others that perhaps they might request ETI route the cable in the build and not have to deal with it at all.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Yes, you would think if they supply and install it, the cable would installed in the first place. Any chance they are not aware of this? I know when we got the stereo/DVD player setup in our 20009 19, they ran the sound and video to a set of RCA outlets to where the TV setup was.

I did email them regarding the issue and here is the response:
Hello David,

I have attached the Manual for the DVD player to become more familiar with it.

There are RCA hook ups at the rear of your DVD player that will plug into a TV allowing the CD player to act as a DVD player, playing on the TV and sound through the speakers.

For the TV ready option we have installed a jack antenna on the roof and a TV coax cable hook up as well as a 120v outlet in order to allow you to add a future TV.

Please feel free to forward any questions you may have.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:51 PM   #17

yes that's what the said to me - the hook ups are in the rear just plug it in. But you can't get the RCA cable in with out removing it / unscrewing the installed bracket.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
yes that's what the said to me - the hook ups are in the rear just plug it in. But you can't get the RCA cable in with out removing it / unscrewing the installed bracket.

Yes, not to mention the holes to drill and bulkhead connector panel to install, for it to look nice and hide the cable. It’s just weird it wasn’t included. Sounds like it’s not just me with this issue, which I was also wondering. I thought it might’ve just been an accidental omission, but maybe not. I have inquired on this and still awaiting a response.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Seems strange that earlier trailers sound like they had A/V connections, but newer trailers are lacking the pre-wired outputs. Easier on the 19's and 17's with presumably only one TV jack location. A little more complicated on trailers that may be opting for two locations (5.0's and 21's?), but can still be done. If ETI is committed to a factory option of providing a stereo/DVD then there is a reasonable expectation of buyers that the DVD player would be useful. ETI should provide the necessary wiring to make sure there is a seamless integration and use of the system. Otherwise, they need to be explicit in stating that the wiring isn't complete or might as well just call it a stereo.

Granted Oliver's have a much higher starting price and they provide the TV as part of their Entertainment package, but this is what they list:
•24” Flat Screen LCD TV with Integrated Jensen AM/FM Radio, Bluetooth,HDMI, DVD, MP3, and CD-R/RW Playback

I wholeheartedly agree with your statement.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:21 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I remember while employed that one was expected to follow all of these regulations to complete their task. As it were, if you did follow them, you could not complete the task. One had to create a shortcut. Those who realized this early on were successful in their career, those who did not, went elsewhere. Perhaps this is Escapes way of handling certain options, if enough of us are not satisfied, requests stop for that option, and things move along better?.