First impressions of our new 5.0TA - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2019, 10:44 PM   #21

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
Thanks David Did you get the oven or the range top? Again, the picture of Utah has me excited. Also, how is the Ram handling the trailer and how does the trailer tow? Thanks again and y'all have a safe trip back to Texas. My parents retired down at Rockport and I spent several years based at DFW. jn
We got the oven, Mary loves to bake, and when we're boondocking in cold weather we'll often cook dinner in the oven just to generate some extra heat.

I plan to do a separate post after the trip on the Ram - it is everything I hoped it would be and more, point and go anywhere we want with power to spare. We got 22mpg from Austin to Chilliwack, and so far on the return trip towing we are getting 14-1/2. And that has been mostly mountain driving in Washington, Oregon, and parts of Idaho so I'm pretty happy. I just can't believe how easily it pulls the 5.0TA, easiest towing experience I've ever had.

You will love Utah. Tomorrow we're headed to Goosenecks State Park, which in all our travels here we have somehow always missed. We really love Arches and the Moab area, but this is "Jeep Week" and every square inch of the Moab area will be filled with off-roaders so we skipped Moab this trip.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:59 PM   #22

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Goosenecks is where I plan to stay after we leave Moab with Valley of the Gods as a backup. I think in the Medicine Hat area there is at least 4 days worth of things to see before heading toward the North Rim. I'm also getting the oven. I love biscuits for breakfast. I have the EcoDiesel crewcab so I don't have the towing capacity you have but still should be OK. I installed the Airlift 1000HDs inside the rear springs and that has helped the Ram handling a lot even without a trailer. Have a great trip and I look forward to your pictures. jn
Old 04-18-2019, 05:21 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Quote:
Thanks David In 8 weeks and a few days I'll be on my way. I'll have a little over 3,000 miles to get to Chilliwack. Spent today getting my generators ready. I already have the back of my truck loaded and ready to go. On the way back I'm planning on Arches and Canyonlands followed by some time around Medicine Hat and Monument Valley then down to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Your picture of the 5.0TA in Utah has me excited. Oh, how did the range vent fan issue work out? jn
Hi jnfrombigt,
We live just north of Atlanta but have a place on Lake Sinclair and one of our daughters and grand kids live in Martinez GA. Will be curious to see how your trip goes and I'm sure your marking off the days.
There are getting to be more and more Escapes around here so sooner or later we need to have the Southern Rally .

Safe and enjoyable travels,

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:10 AM   #24

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If you've never been there there are some boondocking sites along the Valley of the Gods road. I'd probably want to drive it without the trailer first to see how the road is, there was kind of a ditch at either end for seasonal run off or some such.

If you are early enough you can get one of the cliff front spots at Gooseneck, a good number of folks pulled in after the person collecting $ left of the day, somewhere around 4 or 5pm.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:56 AM   #25

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Well, we've had 24 hours now in our new 5.0TA. We're at the KOA in Lynden - a gorgeous campground despite the fact that it has rained all day today. After a year of researching, reading the forum, and even driving from Texas to Chilliwack to visit ETI last fall we were about as prepared as we could be. There were changes over the course of the year in the 5.0TA, and after we finalized our build, but we're really happy with the options and features we got and so far have no regrets about any of them. We saw the new maple interior at ETI yesterday and really like it - but the oak is really nice too.
Glad to hear that you were happy with the KOA in Lynden. We will be going there directly from Bob's Burgers on the 21st of May after orientation. It will just be for one night.

Quote:
We will be replacing the table with our own when we get home - Mary has been busy hand stenciling an intricate design on top of a 36" round wood drop leaf table. More on that later when it is installed and I have photos to share.
You will be installing a drop leaf table? How will that work in the dinette space with the leafs down? Just curious.

Quote:
When we arrived at the KOA and I went to unhitch I was unable to unlock the hatch to access the landing gear switches. It looks like the little piece of metal that covers the keyhole is dinged up and at first wouldn't budge, then tried to go off at an angle. I was finally able to pry it aside and get a key in, and since it's been raining ever since I haven't fooled with it any further. If it keeps doing that I'm sure I can at least pry the keyhole guard aside with a pocket knife and get a key in, and if that happens I'll just switch that hatch lock out with one of the propane compartment latches and be good to go. When we get home I'll just get some replacement higher quality hatch locks and replace them all.
I'll benefit from your experience and make a note to check all of the hatch locks in order to see that they are working properly at pickup. Thanks.

Quote:
One last thought - the 5.0TA is absolutely the most stunningly beautiful fifth wheel ever created! We've gone for walks around the campground during breaks in the rain and find ourselves just stopping and staring at it in awe that it is OUR trailer. And a huge thanks to everyone on the forum for your words of wisdom, advice and encouragement throughout this whole process - now that we are sitting in our trailer we finally feel like real members of the Escape family.
Thanks for the great report. Glad to hear you are happy with the trailer in spite of a few minor aggravations.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:18 AM   #26

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
When we arrived at the KOA and I went to unhitch I was unable to unlock the hatch to access the landing gear switches. It looks like the little piece of metal that covers the keyhole is dinged up and at first wouldn't budge, then tried to go off at an angle. I was finally able to pry it aside and get a key in, and since it's been raining ever since I haven't fooled with it any further. If it keeps doing that I'm sure I can at least pry the keyhole guard aside with a pocket knife and get a key in, and if that happens I'll just switch that hatch lock out with one of the propane compartment latches and be good to go. When we get home I'll just get some replacement higher quality hatch locks and replace them all.
Great write up.

Picked up our 5.0 last October and have 17 weeks of camping in it so far. In February the lock for the storage over the LP tanks wouldn't accept the key and had to be replaced. Took forever to get it open! Now the lock on the rear passenger side hatch is having issues and needs replacement. What scares me is if the hatch for the landing gear decides not to work. I'm going to remove the locks and put in standard non-locking openers, and drill a hole for the locks in those doors for when they absolutely need to be locked.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 04-18-2019, 08:20 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
You will be installing a drop leaf table? How will that work in the dinette space with the leafs down? Just curious.
It is a 36" round table, the drop leaves on the sides are 6" so with the leaves down it will only be 24" wide and we think will make the dinette area feel more spacious, then when we need more table top space we can put the leaves up. I am mounting it to slide front to rear to be able to push it all the way back to the back wall and make an easier opening in the front to slide in and out of the side benches. It's very heavy - I had to build a slide mechanism using heavy duty drawer slides. We wanted a single post to maximize legroom, and also wanted to cover the post in sisal to serve as a scratcher for our cats, so a telescoping base like the Springfield would not work. Our single post, with the ETI stock table right now, is mounted very close to the back bench wall. I plan to reinforce that wall just like others have done for a Lagun mount and put a couple of strong steel L brackets attaching the table leg to the back wall. I think this will be sturdy enough - it will mean that the table post is not easily removable, but we will likely never use the dinette as a sleeping area so that is not an issue for us. This will be my first project when we get home next week, I'll post pics and details....assuming it all works out
Old 04-18-2019, 08:49 AM   #28

Look forward to seeing the Picts.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:01 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
Hi jnfrombigt,
We live just north of Atlanta but have a place on Lake Sinclair and one of our daughters and grand kids live in Martinez GA. Will be curious to see how your trip goes and I'm sure your marking off the days.
There are getting to be more and more Escapes around here so sooner or later we need to have the Southern Rally .

Safe and enjoyable travels,

Steve
Hi Steve The 5.0TA that I visited before ordering is in Athens and there is another one just down the road from Athens. I spent several years down in Peachtree City. Left there in 1999 and moved up to Montana. Came back to the South in 2014. My wife's from Augusta so we're here just across the Savannah for the duration. The couple in Athens camp a lot and indicated they would be very interested in an Escape group campout. On the lakes along the Savannah there are some very nice campgrounds but if we could get something worked up I am very flexible. Hope to see you down the road. jn
Old 04-18-2019, 12:22 PM   #30

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
For folks visiting the Southwest who have AAA access, there is a great map called Indian Country that shows a lot of cool spots.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:48 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
For folks visiting the Southwest who have AAA access, there is a great map called Indian Country that shows a lot of cool spots.
A map made famous in Tony Hillerman's Navajo Tribal Police mystery stories starring Lt. Joe Leaphorn and Sgt. Jim Chee. There are 18 novels in the series.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:43 PM   #32

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
RE: "Goosenecks is where I plan to stay after we leave Moab with Valley of the Gods as a backup. I think in the Medicine Hat area there is at least 4 days worth of things to see before heading toward the North Rim."

When you leave the Moab area, going south to Goosenecks, the Valley of the Gods, and on to Medicine Hat, be absolutely certain you have topped off your gas tank. Gas stations down that area are as hard to find as dinosaurs. It isn't the moon but, it's close.
Attached Thumbnails
Dino1a.jpg  
Old 04-18-2019, 03:50 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
RE: "Goosenecks is where I plan to stay after we leave Moab with Valley of the Gods as a backup. I think in the Medicine Hat area there is at least 4 days worth of things to see before heading toward the North Rim."

When you leave the Moab area, going south to Goosenecks, the Valley of the Gods, and on to Medicine Hat, be absolutely certain you have topped off your gas tank. Gas stations down that area are as hard to find as dinosaurs. It isn't the moon but, it's close.
Myron Thanks for the heads up about fuel jn
Old 04-18-2019, 07:06 PM   #34

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Hi Steve The 5.0TA that I visited before ordering is in Athens and there is another one just down the road from Athens. I spent several years down in Peachtree City. Left there in 1999 and moved up to Montana. Came back to the South in 2014. My wife's from Augusta so we're here just across the Savannah for the duration. The couple in Athens camp a lot and indicated they would be very interested in an Escape group campout. On the lakes along the Savannah there are some very nice campgrounds but if we could get something worked up I am very flexible. Hope to see you down the road. jn
Since we have family at Fort Benning we spend time there and around the south during the winter and would certainly join a southern rally if held when we're down there. I know FL Escape owners would likely attend as well.

We've been to three of the four Mississippi rallies, at first not many Escapes but now plenty in the mid-west and it's been a successful rally.

I would suggest though that you make the rally open to any fibreglass eggs.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:46 PM   #35

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
Thanks so much for this thread, I have learned so much. The info on this site is amazing. I have been reading and investigating for months as the anticipated day is fast approaching. Our trailer is in production now, we pick up our 5.0 TA on May 9. Cant wait for the adventures. Thanks again to all.
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:07 PM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Jim,
I live not far from you, Chapin, SC. Retired Army healthcare administrator.
David
JDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:54 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMan View Post
Jim,
I live not far from you, Chapin, SC. Retired Army healthcare administrator.
David
Hey David Did you pick up your trailer in Chilliwack? I am impressed how many of us there are in this part of the country who are willing to travel that distance to buy a trailer. As many of us as it appears there are, as Steve mentioned earlier, maybe we should organize "The Great Southeast Escape Rendezvous". If we do get something of that nature going, we'll have to credit David Murphy for starting this thread. jn
Old 04-19-2019, 06:39 PM   #38

Mary is loving the kitchen - she's already baked cookies in the oven twice, and this morning made pancakes on the canyon rim at the Goosenecks in Utah.
Attached Thumbnails
Gooseneck pancakes.jpg   Goosenecks 5.jpg  
Old 04-19-2019, 06:45 PM   #39

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That picture of the truck and trailer look almost like a model set up on a stage, beautiful background.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:56 PM   #40

David That Truck and Trailer are a perfect match! My brother is coming with me to pick up the trailer and I think he's as excited as I am. Each time you post a picture, I immediately send him a copy. Keep em coming! jn