First indicators of our 5.0, "in the offing" - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2010, 11:14 AM   #1

First indicators of our 5.0, "in the offing"

While September is still a long way away, Tammy emailed us for final approval of our build-sheet and confirmation of the names to go on the title, Hoooo-Rahhh!

We chose the following options:
  • ~Air Conditioner
    ~Additional Window over counter to right of door
    ~Additional Window over sink
    ~Bike Rack Ready
    ~Dual 6V Batteries
    ~Exterior 110V Outlet
    ~Exterior Shower
    ~Exterior Access Hatch
    ~Hitch Lock
    ~TV Ready - combine with stereo AV system & remote
    ~SS Sink & Faucet
    ~12V Outlet (Beside 110V in upper bunk pass side & under dinette)
    ~2 Way Water Heater
    ~Warm White LED Interior Lights (all) & Exterior LED (Amber)
    ~High lift Axle
    ~Our fabric
    ~Matching Formica
    ~Oak T Molding for Tables (darker color to match formica)
    ~Gold Graphics
    ~2 additional Shelves in wardrobe
    ~12V wires in drivers side o/h cabinet at foot of bed (this is for a nice marine 12v fan should we decide we need it later).
    ~Move upper bed lights as close to front as poss.
    ~Exterior light over shower
    ~White belly band
    ~Running lights above back window
    ~Switch for all three exterior lights on the inside of trailer
    ~Extra set of brake lights mounted under belly band
    ~Run wire to rear bench for back up lights (again, should we decide to augment the existing b/u lights, the wires will be there).
    ~All clearance lights LED
    ~The most expensive item we chose was delivery to Memphis, TN. I won't quote the price as it could and would change for each instance, but it was a *POP*

We have had a running discussion over the last several months concerning the drive to pick-up the trailer (we keep going back and forth on names, too). Chilliwack is 2,400 miles from Memphis. Assuming we intended to make our way home leisurely, we would need to haul all the trailer gear to BC and either bring our three dogs along, or leave 1,2 or all 3 at home...all bad options for a four day run up to BC in a Ford Ranger...one dog maybe, three, never. I asked Tammy for a direct delivery quote and, while the number was daunting, it saved us 4-8 days of a grinding drive. With delivery to our door, all we have to do is wash all the delivery grime off the trailer, load 'er up and head out (for a trial run at first, of course).

I'm posting this so others might benefit from information I've gleaned from reading the posts of all you good folks who've been down this path before me.

Dave
Old 07-10-2010, 11:19 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Re: First indicators of our 5.0, "in the offing"

Getting a bit excited now, are we Dave?
I don't blame you one bit, I was there just over a year ago too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:47 AM   #3

yep..."excited" about describes it
Old 07-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #4

Well.. you should be excited! But of course you know the big advantage of picking up the trailer is if there's something that needs to be tweaked, you're right there. Most people hang-out in the Chilliwack area just to make sure everything is running smooth.. or in our case we decided to add another 12volt outlet next to the sink..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #5

Jeff;
That is the biggest disadvantage, of course. Hopefully, I will communicate with Tammy and Reace enough to take care of those additions; and I have come to trust them to work out any problems. As to other mods, you should have seen our old Casita. I'm pretty handy and not opposed to drilling, cutting or modding even a brand-new trailer.

Deb and are are thinking of naming the new baby Hoo-Rah!

Old 07-10-2010, 05:40 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19ft Escape "Eggy Sue"

Instead of a name, how about a number ?....say 25.6. Oh wait, that's a different 5th.
2002 Toyota Tundra 4X4
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter
Instead of a name, how about a number ?....say 25.6. Oh wait, that's a different 5th.
funny, very, very funny...wonder how many cops would stop me and administer a field sobriety test?
Old 07-10-2010, 09:12 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Garand... Sounds like you have all the bases covered. That's a very impressive list. You still might find a tweak or two...but I bet not.
Just think what the guy that had 2~ 5.0's delivered to England would have paid!!!Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:55 AM   #9

Hi: Garand... Isn't Graceland in Memphis "Garands Graceland" has a melody to it!!! Alf
Old 07-12-2010, 07:06 AM   #10

Drat, I forgot to ask Tammy and Reace to carpet the roof of the Escape with shag carpeting and leopard prints! (anyone seen Graceland? OMG!!)

VBG

Dave
Old 07-13-2010, 04:57 PM   #11
Geo

Reeces is working on my 19 as I type.
I ask a question, a about an extra light under the bed
so I can see way in the back.
Reece, said he could run the electrical wire, no problem.
And then he asked what else that he could do for me!
Good people that want to help
Attached Thumbnails
E21.jpg  
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:42 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Ah I remember the excitement of getting those first few pictures of our 17B in production..... keep sharing them with us!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:43 AM   #13

Hi: Garand... Dave Sept. isn't so far off NOW!!! Got any pic's to share Alf
Old 08-15-2010, 08:46 AM   #14

Tammy told us the two halves of the shell, the frame, and the cushions are in. They were due to begin the trailer this Friday, but I don't expect pictures for a while.

In the meantime, I sold an AR-15 and consequently have a bit of ready cash to buy knick-knacks for the trailer. WhoooHooo! the Big Brown Truck brings goodies.

Dave

(btw...to clarify, "Dave" works...."Garand" is just a moniker I use on several forums (I build match-grade M1s as a hobby).

Dave
Old 08-15-2010, 10:12 AM   #15

Hi: Dave... That sounds encouraging...Did you mean you're a "Big Shot" in the match business My Bro in law rebuilds the Gen. Dynamics armored troop carriers after they ship 'em home from service o'er seas. Alf
Old 08-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #16

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Hi Dave,
I've said it on another post, but if I were doing it over again, I'd put a 9,000BTU AC unit on the 5.0, and not a 13,5K unit. Alf has said it too, the 5.0 is too well built, and the larger AC is just too much AC! The smaller unit will be plenty, especially with the extra insulation and insulated windows.
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:49 AM   #17

Thanks for the tip.
We didn't order the extra insulation as we seldom do any real cold weather camping. We aren't much for AC, having run the unit on our old Casita about three times total in the six years we owned the Towster. On those occasions we ran the AC long enough to cool off the interior after sunset and then shut it off when we went to bed.

I will call Reace & Tammy today to see what the cost/benefit ratios are....is the 9,000 BTU unit lighter/smaller/cheaper than the standard AC unit, and by how much?

Thanks;
Dave
Old 08-16-2010, 10:26 AM   #18

Trailer: 2016 5.0 TA on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand
I will call Reace & Tammy today to see what the cost/benefit ratios are....is the 9,000 BTU unit lighter/smaller/cheaper than the standard AC unit, and by how much?
This is a very interesting topic! We had a pop-up camper previously, and a 13,500 A/C was needed in the Texas summer to fight back the heat and humidity. However, the A/C cycles caused a definite surge in interior temps due to the rapid heat transfer through the canvas.

I'm interested in a 5.0 with the extra insulation and dual pane windows, so there's a dramatic difference in insulating properties. I'd much rather have a more efficient, quieter(?), unit that cycles less. It would be great to get A/C recommendations from Reace based on the trailer's level of insulation (std vs. extra thermal package) and the climate zone (it's 103*F in my area today. Would a 9K unit suffice?).

Happy Travels!

Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #19

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand
This is a very interesting topic! We had a pop-up camper previously, and a 13,500 A/C was needed in the Texas summer to fight back the heat and humidity. However, the A/C cycles caused a definite surge in interior temps due to the rapid heat transfer through the canvas.

I'm interested in a 5.0 with the extra insulation and dual pane windows, so there's a dramatic difference in insulating properties. I'd much rather have a more efficient, quieter(?), unit that cycles less. It would be great to get A/C recommendations from Reace based on the trailer's level of insulation (std vs. extra thermal package) and the climate zone (it's 103*F in my area today. Would a 9K unit suffice?).

We were in Indiana a couple of weeks ago, and the temps were in the high 90's with 90%+ humidity. With the 13,500 unit, we had it cranked down about 1/3-1/2 and it was cold inside! Matter of fact, after a couple of days, the outside of Hokie was sweating due to the coolness inside :- )

Loud and lots of cycling

Happy Travels!

Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #20

I think the huge advantage w/smaller AC is being able to use the Honda 2000 to actually run the AC

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote