First South Carolina 5.0TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2019, 10:04 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
First South Carolina 5.0TA

Made it back to SC after four weeks and one day on the road. Most direct route to Chilliwack is a little less than 3000 miles. We did 3800 on the way up and a little over 5000 on the way back. My focus on the return leg was to visit places that I had missed during my years out West. The main areas were Canyonland, Arches and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. I had two extra days in the plan for the trip up in case of unforeseen issues. We used the extra time to explore the Cascade Mountains and the Washington Coast before heading to Chilliwack.
Everything on the Escape worked as advertised but we did have to do the pump bypass valve adjustment or the pump would not shut off. Fortunately I had watched the Escape video at least a couple of times. We did not have the correct size allen wrench but I did have a torx bit that was a perfect fit. I had no problems with any of the compartment locks. While approaching Salt Lake City in a construction zone a piece of road debris struck the step and bent the left support. The step saved the right front tire and wheel from serious damage. With the tools I had for the trip I was unable to repair the step but last night with my bench vice I was able to put it back in good order.
As others have repeatedly pointed out the 5.0TA is an almost effortless tow with little adverse effect from strong crosswinds or passing tractor trailer rigs.
I want to thank the forum members for their input and recommendations over the months leading up to pick up. Many were included in the trip.
Attached Thumbnails
SC %.0TA.jpg  
Old 07-16-2019, 10:25 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
After reading about some issues others have had, it is nice to hear about a successful trip out and back from the factory.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:28 AM   #3

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Nice report. Thanks.

I keep meaning to write up my own (entirely pleasant) pick up experience last month. I did have a minor issue with the external hatch latch and I suppose I ought to contact Escape to get a new one, but I haven't bothered. There is so much storage in the 19 that I'm not even using the under the bed space. Still, it's minor and an easy fix, so I ought to get off my duff and take care of it.

Anyway, congrats on your new trailer, and the trip home!
Seneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:43 AM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Sounds like a great trip, glad it went so well!

Would love to see pics from your journey.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Sounds like a great trip, glad it went so well!

Would love to see pics from your journey.
Hi David Used all your recommended stopover points going to Moab. Already had Goosenecks in the plan and spent four nights there exploring other places as far as Hite on the north side of Lake Powell during the day.
Attached Thumbnails
Goosenecks SP.jpg   gooseneck sp 3.jpg   moab arch.jpg   canyonland.jpg  
Old 07-16-2019, 12:26 PM   #6

I will have to go to Utah to see these places in person, spectacular....
Old 07-16-2019, 12:29 PM   #7

The first picture reminds me of DavidMurphy's post when he was there....what is that saying, imitation is a form of flattery?
Old 07-16-2019, 12:30 PM   #8

Looks like you had a terrific trip! We are heading back to Utah in September....seeing your photos has me counting the days!
Old 07-16-2019, 12:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
the first picture reminds me of davidmurphy's post when he was there....what is that saying, imitation is a form of flattery?

yes!!!
Old 07-16-2019, 12:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Looks like you had a terrific trip! We are heading back to Utah in September....seeing your photos has me counting the days!
Some of the most spectacular scenery was on the on the plateau behind the Goosenecks up the Moki Dugway at Muley Point. Could actually see the "small white dot" in the distance perched on the Gooseneck Rim. Also to the north at Natural Bridges National Monument off 95 is worth a trip in itself. I found it's arches more impressive than those at Arches National Park and I was amazed at the few people that were there. Down the road to the east is a place called Mule Canyon dotted with cliff ruins. Very pleasant hike into the canyon to the ruins. I will be going back some day I hope.
Attached Thumbnails
Wachamo Bridge.jpg   Fire Roof (2).jpg   Forrest Gump Point.jpg  
Old 07-16-2019, 12:51 PM   #11

How was the road out to Muley Point - have not been there but would like to go this fall. We'd be pulling our 5.0TA - sounds like you drove out there with just the truck. We've driven Moki Dugway with just our truck and would not pull the trailer up there, would come in to Muley Point from the north.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:00 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
How was the road out to Muley Point - have not been there but would like to go this fall. We'd be pulling our 5.0TA - sounds like you drove out there with just the truck. We've driven Moki Dugway with just our truck and would not pull the trailer up there, would come in to Muley Point from the north.
The condition of Muley Point Road depends on how long it has been since they scraped it. I've driven it where the entire length was heavily washboarded, and when it was completely smooth, except for the section just after the first viewpoint where the surface is flat rock.

Another interesting ruin in the area is on Cigarette Springs Road - Fallen Roof Ruin.
Attached Thumbnails
_DSC2332.jpg  
Old 07-16-2019, 01:05 PM   #13

Quote:
I did the Moki one morning behind a Coor's tractor trailer. That afternoon I started down the Moki right behind another tractor trailer and by the time I reached the asphalt at the bottom that truck was at least a mile ahead of me. Would I tow my trailer up the Moki? NO!!! The Muley Point road is no problem as long as it's not wet. Wet it would be a major problem. The second morning I went to Muley Point there were two rented Class Cs that had come across 95 from Blanding and then down 261 to the Muley Point turnoff.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
The condition of Muley Point Road depends on how long it has been since they scraped it. I've driven it where the entire length was heavily washboarded, and when it was completely smooth, except for the section just after the first viewpoint where the surface is flat rock.

Another interesting ruin in the area is on Cigarette Springs Road - Fallen Roof Ruin.
Jon we went down Cigarette Springs Road looking for the parking area for the Fallen Roof Trail. I got started down one trail but it went off through a wooded area so we turned back and headed up to 95 and the Mule Canyon trail because I was pretty sure I could find that one. I may have been at the right trail head for Fallen Roof but it just didn't seem right. That road was a lot worse shape than the Muley Point road.