First time 21' observations……and emergency cable discussion - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2014, 09:57 PM   #101

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I was looking at some site for Clevis hook application. It was too technical, with charts and angles of approach and such so I don't remember much. But, in rating what weight the hook could lift, they spent several sentences on how you're not supposed to apply sudden weight, as in jerking it up, or dropping a weight. Seems to me that a trailer disconnect would be a sudden application of force, so the weight rating of the hook wouldn't apply.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:08 PM   #102

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
The carabiner you show is not likely rated to carry loads such as from the safety chains. Both the quick links and the Clovis hooks would likely be fine.
I wondered about that. It states clearly it is rated at 900 pounds whereas the Quicklink Escape provides is rated at about 2400 pounds. Sounds plenty tough. We know the 19's trailer weight is a rough 4000 pounds give or take, but would that really be relevant if I am looping the chain through, like Fudgie does, so as he points out, the key stress point is on the chain at the turn on the hitch hole and the carabiner's job is merely to keep the chain loop connected and closed?

Plus, what gbag just said.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:12 PM   #103

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
I haven't tried the easy connector, but it looks like a good solution to a problem I have. I will give it a try this spring.

Regarding hitches coming uncoupled. Has any one had that happen with a weight distribution hitch? Seems like the if it came off the ball the bars would prevent the trailer from dropping and from rear ending the tow vehicle.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:17 PM   #104

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Back to the chains, what holds that latch closed on those clevis hooks pictured?
Typically, a spring.

Quote:
I looked up clevis hooks at Home Depot and they were just open. No latch.
They are available both ways - try the store in person, or Canadian Tire, or somewhere else. There are so many combinations of features that finding the right one in stock can be tough, and many retailers - including Home Depot - do not offe the same selection in-store and online.

Quote:
My concern is that they work under tension when lifting a load, but with a slack chain that bouncing might allow the chain to come loose.
I agree. Properly used, they typically don't bounce out, but a safety latch makes sense.

Quote:
I was looking at some site for Clevis hook application. It was too technical, with charts and angles of approach and such so I don't remember much. But, in rating what weight the hook could lift, they spent several sentences on how you're not supposed to apply sudden weight, as in jerking it up, or dropping a weight. Seems to me that a trailer disconnect would be a sudden application of force, so the weight rating of the hook wouldn't apply.
That's why the chains which never have to support the whole trailer hanging from them, are specified to handle a force equal to the entire weight of the trailer each.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:30 PM   #105

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
Regarding hitches coming uncoupled. Has any one had that happen with a weight distribution hitch? Seems like the if it came off the ball the bars would prevent the trailer from dropping and from rear ending the tow vehicle.
A typical WD system will keep the coupler from lifting off the ball even if the coupler is unlatched, because the chains are pulling down on the trailer with hundreds of pounds of force. If it does come off anyway - such as due to the coupler or ball breaking - that same tension will pull the tongue aggressively down until the bars straighten out or the bar ends hit the ground (whichever comes first) and the chains go slack. At that point, the bars and chains might somewhat control the trailer... or the chains might fall off the snap-up brackets and the bars might fall out of the head or just swing out to the sides uselessly.

I would not expect a crude device designed to pry up on the back of the tug to act as a backup hitch system.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:53 PM   #106

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Brian, I wasn't suggesting skipping the chains, safety checks, etc. just trying to understand what effect a WDH would have in all these scenarios. I have only been towing for a couple of years, and the main lesson I have from this lengthy discussion is that I don't ever want it to happen to me.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:32 AM   #107

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
After more I (over)thinking this all, I have (temporarily?) decided that I am going to continue using the "quicklink" type that came on my trailer. Even though there are potential problems with the threads, personally, I prefer a threaded connection to something that relies on a small spring to keep it safely closed. After hearing about potential problems with the threads, I'm going to buy a spare pair to have along with us.

And Leon - in my humble opinion - those "crude" WDHs should help keep the hitch from being able to escape the ball unless something major breaks.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:48 PM   #108
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Eric, I've used the quicklink-type on my Scamp for 10 years. Once a year, a squirt of WD-40 and they've never frozen up. I also squirt graphite in the door lockset of the trailer at the same time. Just one of those maintenance issues for me.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:52 PM   #109

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
When I replaced my Fastec lock and had the locksmith involved, he said not to use graphite, wd-40 was his recommendation. Graphite can clog small locks, bigger ones not so much. FWIW
Old 01-17-2014, 08:35 PM   #110
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Well Jim, I won't disagree with your locksmith. All I know is what's worked for me. WD-40 can attract dirt and dust because it's silicone. Graphite wears out, but doesn't attract "stuff." All I know, is I've never had "problems" doin' what I'm doin' for ten years. Now, the 11th year?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:34 PM   #111

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Graphite and silicon spray, both are dry quickly once the solvent evaporates, and keep locks lubricated.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:01 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Graphite and silicon spray, both are dry quickly once the solvent evaporates, and keep locks lubricated.
This or Tri Flow if I have it stuff is expensive but if your interested check out this article.

The Great Oil Debate

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:29 AM   #113

to continue the safety chain discussion, I'm thinking about a set of these
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2014, 05:43 AM   #114

Great article, Cypher, very interesting. seems like wd40 and then graphite is best here in middle america. I do have an old pin point applicator that has some mystery oil, maybe that is Houdini?
Old 01-18-2014, 08:20 AM   #115

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I see that locksmith likes Tri-Flow too. That was what the guys at my favorite bicycle shop used to recommend for derailleur and chain lube.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-18-2014, 08:35 AM   #116

I remember as a kid using motor oil on my bike chain and then my mom yelling at me for the oil all over my pants leg. Later on I did the same with my motorcycle chain but had to wash the mess myself!! This was before aerosol cans and we had pump oil cans.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:40 AM   #117

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Jim, I am sure that with this past experience, you probably make a concerted effort to make sure things are coupled properly and working before towing. I find that I also learn best from the mistakes I make.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
This or Tri Flow if I have it stuff is expensive but if your interested check out this article.

The Great Oil Debate

Cypher
Good article, I agree with his take on the different lubs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Great article, Cypher, very interesting. seems like wd40 and then graphite is best here in middle america. I do have an old pin point applicator that has some mystery oil, maybe that is Houdini?
That article doesn't rate them in order of the best, just in the order of most used. (I think)

I use WD-40 for lots of things, but as a lubricant only in a temporary situation. I use silicon spray on things like my awning arms too. It is invisible, and makes them slide slick. It dries completely, and does not attract any dirt.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:52 AM   #118

For anything subject to getting dirty, like my scissor leveling jacks I like the dry lubes like this one. (now this thread will probably have to be renamed again!)
Attached Thumbnails
41m2CzXsbVL.jpg  

Old 01-18-2014, 10:10 AM   #119

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Think I will also be sticking with Escapes' quicklink-link. Been fun, though, re-inventing the wheel. I've had this golden little bottle of liquid graphite for 40 years.
Attached Thumbnails
LiqGraph.jpg  
Old 01-18-2014, 10:24 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Think I will also be sticking with Escapes' quicklink-link. Been fun, though, re-inventing the wheel. I've had this golden little bottle of liquid graphite for 40 years.
I wonder if it gets better with age like some wine....

I decided to just pick up a couple of spare quicklinks so that if the threads on the originals ever give me trouble I can just swap them out.