First vs Second Generation comparison - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2020, 03:22 PM   #1

Trailer: TBD
First vs Second Generation comparison

Total newbie/wannabe question coming up.
I’m hoping some of you experienced Escapers can help me sort out the major differences between the “first generation” and “second generation” 19ft models. I know the mould was altered, but can anyone explain why? Or if there is any noticeable impact or benefit? I did notice a support pole in several of the newer models vs the older ones, and differences in the fridge size etc. Anyone able to help me out? And what model year did they make these changes? 2017?
I’ve scoured the Forum for a concise explanation but so far haven’t been able to piece it together. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Thanks in advance
danikawoodburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by danikawoodburn View Post
Total newbie/wannabe question coming up.
I’m hoping some of you experienced Escapers can help me sort out the major differences between the “first generation” and “second generation” 19ft models. I know the mould was altered, but can anyone explain why? Or if there is any noticeable impact or benefit? I did notice a support pole in several of the newer models vs the older ones, and differences in the fridge size etc. Anyone able to help me out? And what model year did they make these changes? 2017?
I’ve scoured the Forum for a concise explanation but so far haven’t been able to piece it together. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Thanks in advance
We have a (Classic ) 2013 19 What attracted us to this trailer was the airline door . We have had similar doors on previous RV ‘s that are on I believe 2017 on ,trailers . We like the sliding screen too we have . As for the support pole , we ordered from Escape and have the pole as others later did .We don’t care for the power awning . It can’t be adjusted to shed rain or not kept up in increment weather . Have always had the manual awning and can put up or down fast by myself. We have the sliding windows and love them and wouldn’t change looks over function . My understanding you can get the manual awning and sliding windows still if desired .
As for the reason to change design was to install a different refrigerator to get through the little bit larger doorway . We made lots of improvements to our refrigerator and if it dies am not worried for replacing ,there are lots of different choices to go with . After our improvements the refrigerator works really well now anyway with lots more insulation and fans etc. we like the look of the (Classic ) a lot better then the newer design .
The (Classic) also weighs a lot less then the newer design .
I would say it is a Escape and it is up to you which you prefer . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:47 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
One of the reasons for the mold change was the door opening was changed so that different refrigerators could be installed. The classic style limited choices. Also the heater was moved in some models and Escape introduced the frameless windows with the straighter walls and the power awning was another change as well as the medicine cabinet in the bath.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
We were just looking at the Escape 19 during the Gen 1 to Gen 2 transition. The Gen 2’s started production in early to mid 2016 I think, but there was a period of production overlap with the Gen 1 style for a short while where customers could choose between them. By the time we decided to put down a deposit (Dec. 2016) Gen 1 was no longer an option.

Most of the main points of difference have already been captured by the previous responses so this may be a bit repetitious. Also, some of the differences do depend a bit on what year Gen 1 and what year Gen 2 you are comparing.

Gen 1 (Dec. 2015 specs)
-Base price $26,300 CAD
-Dry weight 2610 lbs
-More rounded shape with aircraft style door and hidden sliding screen door
-20 gal fresh, 26 gal grey, 19 gal black tanks
-Sliding windows only (single pane and optional thermal)
-Traditional mechanical style Fiesta awning
-4.3 ft^3 stock fridge (optional 6.7 ft^3)
-Extra insulation option done with Reflectix
-Prep for AC optional

Gen 2 (Dec. 2017 specs)
-Base price $30,300 (big price jump for Gen 2)
-Dry weight 2950 lbs (300 lb increase in weight from last Gen 1's)
-Less rounded shape with flat RV door and hinged screen door
-28 gal fresh, 28 gal grey, 19 gal black tank
-Awning style thermal windows (base had single pane sliders and thermal sliders were still optional IIRC)
-Electric case awning (Gen 2 body has a molded-in location for this awning)
-5 ft^3 stock fridge (optional 6 ft^3 fridge)
-Extra insulation option done with 1/2" closed cell foam
-Prep for AC standard
-Bathroom includes a medicine cabinet

The Gen 2 awning and windows have been the topic of a lot of debate and the current 2020 Gen 2 has gone back to a manual awning and thermal sliding windows as the standard build and the electric awning and awning style thermal windows are options.
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheal K View Post
We were just looking at the Escape 19 during the Gen 1 to Gen 2 transition. The Gen 2’s started production in early to mid 2016 I think, but there was a period of production overlap with the Gen 1 style for a short while where customers could choose between them. By the time we decided to put down a deposit (Dec. 2016) Gen 1 was no longer an option.

Most of the main points of difference have already been captured by the previous responses so this may be a bit repetitious. Also, some of the differences do depend a bit on what year Gen 1 and what year Gen 2 you are comparing.

Gen 1 (Dec. 2015 specs)
-Base price $26,300 CAD
-Dry weight 2610 lbs
-Prep for AC optional

Gen 2 (Dec. 2017 specs)
-Awning style thermal windows (base had single pane sliders and thermal sliders were still optional IIRC)
-Prep for AC standard

The Gen 2 awning and windows have been the topic of a lot of debate and the current 2020 Gen 2 has gone back to a manual awning and thermal sliding windows as the standard build and the electric awning and awning style thermal windows are options.
Excellent explanation and comparisons!Pat
Old 07-04-2020, 10:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Excellent explanation and comparisons!Pat
Agreed. One thing that wasn’t mentioned is that the GVWR of the Gen1 was 4000# and the Gen 2 is 5000#.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Also early Gen 1s had a 3" frame that had to be reinforced and later ones had a 4" frame. That might be a factor for some folks.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:30 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Also early Gen 1s had a 3" frame that had to be reinforced and later ones had a 4" frame. That might be a factor for some folks.
I'm pretty sure the 21' never had a 3" frame, and the 5.0TA stayed with the 3" frame. Of the models that made it to the second generation, only the 17' and 19' changed frame size, right?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:36 PM   #9

The wider door was necessary to fit more desirable available refrigerators, but the opportunity was taken to also switch to a conventional flat RV door. That meant vertical sides for the body. The vertical sides and keeping the same width at the middle meant that the body became about 10 cm (4 inches) wider at the top and bottom. The extra width means a wider axle and track dimension, and accounts for some of the weight increase.

While not required by the new vertical sides, the change was also used as an opportunity to design in the use of a different style of awning.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:33 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Gen 1 21 Eacape Frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I'm pretty sure the 21' never had a 3" frame, and the 5.0TA stayed with the 3" frame. Of the models that made it to the second generation, only the 17' and 19' changed frame size, right?
We have the 6th 21 foot Escape built. It has the 4 inch frame. 15 inch tires and wheels

We had an early 2010 Escape with the smaller frame. 14 inch tires
and wheels. There wasn’t a problem with our fame but we had the plates welded on for $83 and Reace paid for it. And he personally inspected the job. He said, “whoever welded this has done a lot of welding” . I said “he usually welds on $250,000 tractors and $300,000 Combines.” He said, “that’s who you want to do it.”

We are classic fans and don’t look to ever upgrade or change. The awning, the airplane door,
fit and finish, and almost no problems over the time we’ve owned and towed it. What’s not to like?

Hey did I mention that I always wondered if I could sell, so the day after I retired from a 32 year career in Parks Maintenance I took job selling. And yes, I could.

Iowa Dave
Old 07-05-2020, 12:51 AM   #11

Quote:

Ron
We have a 2013 Ron with 4 in frame on our (Classic ) Pat
Old 07-05-2020, 11:28 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
The OP made reference to a 19 and the earlier Gen ones did have a 3" frame.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:44 PM   #13

Quote:
The OP made reference to a 19 and the earlier Gen ones did have a 3" frame.
Ah, sorry, I didn't notice that the question was specific to the 19'.

Not only did the 19' have the 3" frame, it was the largest and longest conventional Escape model to have that frame rail size, and it had the most problems with it. The change of generations didn't change the frame size, but within the first generation of the 19' it is worth considering which frame it has and whether or not the fixes were done as directed in the recalls:
3" Frame Recall on 15', 17' & 19' Escape Trailers - reinforcement of the main rail to tongue joint on mitre-jointed 3" frames (in the 19' model, affects from the first ones built to early 2014)
UPDATE - 19' with 3" frame (April 3 2018) - reinforcement of the front section of the frame, only on the 19' model
Old 07-05-2020, 02:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Ah, sorry, I didn't notice that the question was specific to the 19'.

Not only did the 19' have the 3" frame, it was the largest and longest conventional Escape model to have that frame rail size, and it had the most problems with it. The change of generations didn't change the frame size, but within the first generation of the 19' it is worth considering which frame it has and whether or not the fixes were done as directed in the recalls:
3" Frame Recall on 15', 17' & 19' Escape Trailers - reinforcement of the main rail to tongue joint on mitre-jointed 3" frames (in the 19' model, affects from the first ones built to early 2014)
UPDATE - 19' with 3" frame (April 3 2018) - reinforcement of the front section of the frame, only on the 19' model
Our trailer was picked up Nov 14, 2013 and is the 19 . When Reace was going to do fix on trailer frames he talked to me and had me measure and confirm I didn’t have the 3 in frame . Nope we lucked out and had the 4 in frame which made Reace happy no fix needed for our trailer . Pat
Old 07-05-2020, 02:19 PM   #15

I posted earlier on this topic because I had information and was interested in it. The references that Brian B-P made included a response by member “Jubal” I think his name is Bob and he’s from Indiana. I met him once in South Dakota. Anyway, he used to be a fairly prolific poster but I haven’t seen anything from him in a awhile. Has anyone talked to Bob? Just wondered how he was doing with his Escape.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-05-2020, 02:41 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I posted earlier on this topic because I had information and was interested in it. The references that Brian B-P made included a response by member “Jubal” I think his name is Bob and he’s from Indiana. I met him once in South Dakota. Anyway, he used to be a fairly prolific poster but I haven’t seen anything from him in a awhile. Has anyone talked to Bob? Just wondered how he was doing with his Escape.
Iowa Dave
Jubal appears to be reading, but perhaps has nothing to say:
Last Activity: 07-01-2020 08:43 AM
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 02:48 PM   #17

Inquiry

Thanks Donna. I appreciate it.

Loren from “Loren and Cathy” passed in early December 2018. He was a great guy. In the early spring of 2019 Cathy contacted me and I advised her on the sale of her 21. She sold it in good time and I camped with the nice couple who bought it at the Pikes Peak Iowa Rally in May of 2019. The two plus nation community of Fiberglass trailer owners are a family all of their own.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-17-2021, 08:11 PM   #18

Trailer: EX 2013 Scamp 16 OWNER, CURRENT 2016 Escape 21C
This is great information and I'm wondering if someone has a similar comparison for the 21C? Since it sounds like ETI went from 3" to 4" frame members with the G2 for the 19', how much of the 300# weight difference is explained by the beefier frame? Since the 21C frame stayed at 4", I'm wondering how much if any the weight changed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheal K View Post

Gen 1 (Dec. 2015 specs)
-Base price $26,300 CAD
-Dry weight 2610 lbs
-Prep for AC optional

Gen 2 (Dec. 2017 specs)
-Prep for AC standard

Semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 08:51 PM   #19

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semievolved View Post
This is great information and I'm wondering if someone has a similar comparison for the 21C? Since it sounds like ETI went from 3" to 4" frame members with the G2 for the 19', how much of the 300# weight difference is explained by the beefier frame? Since the 21C frame stayed at 4", I'm wondering how much if any the weight changed?
The Gen1 19 had transitioned to a 4" frame well before the change to Gen2 in 2016. Sometime around mid-2013.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:56 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
The conversion from 3" to 4" frame happened before the change from 'classic' to second gen. Our 2014 19' (actually Nov 2013) has the 4" frame. That is when the original 21' model was coming out. The classic to second gen change happened around 2016 to 2017. The weight difference from classic to second gen 19' is not due to the 4" frame. I think the dry weight was listed at either 2510 or 2560 for our model year.
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
19ft, generation