Ford 150 3.5 Ecoboost and 5.OTA combination - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2018, 01:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Ford 150 3.5 Ecoboost and 5.OTA combination

We are seriously considering moving from our current rig (Toyota Tundra 4.6L and Escape 19) to a F150 3.5L Ecoboost and 5.OTA. I have done a lot of research on the forum that answered most of my questions save a few. So here goes!

1. For those who have switched from a 19 to a 5.0 considering the combination above what is the difference in towing? Better? Same? Worse? We make several short trips and a couple of long 2,000 -6,00 miles plus trips every year. I’m looking for an improvement in ease of towing, hookup and unhooking.

2. What hitch are you using? Is the Anderson 5th wheel hitch the most common? Does Escape have a local supplier they recommend for installation of both the gooseneck ball and hitch? Or did you arrive with it already installed?

3. I’m concerned about all the stuff I currently store in the bed of my truck and the storage box on the 19. Did you find sufficient storage options on the 5.0? If so, ideas? Will a folding bed cover be ok? Will it cover the hitch and gear in the bed when unhooked? Specifically we have a Clam for the buggy Texas Gulf Coast. Will it store/ride nicely inside the 5.0 on the road?

4. There appears to be more Interior storage. Is there still storage under the dinette on at least one side like the 19? If we opt for the wrap around dinette what is the under bench storage like? (Note. I plan on keeping the surge suppressor, 1500w inverter and transfer switch like we have on our 19 and I assume this equipment is under the dinette. Is this a correct assumption?).

We already have a visit to Escape planned for early October. Just trying to get as many questions answered in advance as possible which I know only leads to more questions!

Thanks for all your help.

John
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 04:48 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you go to the Escape website and click on standard locations and measurements you will find where most items are in that model. See "Layouts" here http://escapetrailer.com/wp-content/...ocations-1.pdf
Old 07-29-2018, 06:35 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If he doesn't pipe in, drop Jim B a note, he changed from 19 to 5.0TA and drives a 3.5 EB.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
We are seriously considering moving from our current rig (Toyota Tundra 4.6L and Escape 19) to a F150 3.5L Ecoboost and 5.OTA. I have done a lot of research on the forum that answered most of my questions save a few. So here goes!

1. For those who have switched from a 19 to a 5.0 considering the combination above what is the difference in towing? Better? Same? Worse? We make several short trips and a couple of long 2,000 -6,00 miles plus trips every year. I’m looking for an improvement in ease of towing, hookup and unhooking.

2. What hitch are you using? Is the Anderson 5th wheel hitch the most common? Does Escape have a local supplier they recommend for installation of both the gooseneck ball and hitch? Or did you arrive with it already installed?

3. I’m concerned about all the stuff I currently store in the bed of my truck and the storage box on the 19. Did you find sufficient storage options on the 5.0? If so, ideas? Will a folding bed cover be ok? Will it cover the hitch and gear in the bed when unhooked? Specifically we have a Clam for the buggy Texas Gulf Coast. Will it store/ride nicely inside the 5.0 on the road?

4. There appears to be more Interior storage. Is there still storage under the dinette on at least one side like the 19? If we opt for the wrap around dinette what is the under bench storage like? (Note. I plan on keeping the surge suppressor, 1500w inverter and transfer switch like we have on our 19 and I assume this equipment is under the dinette. Is this a correct assumption?).

We already have a visit to Escape planned for early October. Just trying to get as many questions answered in advance as possible which I know only leads to more questions!

Thanks for all your help.

John
I special ordered an F150, 3.5eb to haul my 2017 5.0ta around. Wife just green-lighted an Airstream and an F250. Any interest in a combo deal?
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If you go to the Escape website and click on standard locations and measurements you will find where most items are in that model. See "Layouts" here http://escapetrailer.com/wp-content/...ocations-1.pdf

Thanks. I printed both the 19 and 5.0 specs and will pour over them for a detailed comparison.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
I special ordered an F150, 3.5eb to haul my 2017 5.0ta around. Wife just green-lighted an Airstream and an F250. Any interest in a combo deal?

I’m sorry but no. We are looking forward to building our new custom 5.0 and truck combination.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
If he doesn't pipe in, drop Jim B a note, he changed from 19 to 5.0TA and drives a 3.5 EB.

Thanks, will do if I need to.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:49 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
1. I towed my 19 mostly with my Honda Pilot, and sometimes if it was just a straight drive to a destination through mountains I used an F-250 or F-350. I ended up with a WDH with the Honda to smooth out the ride and it towed very well. With the F-350 it hardly knew it was there, but not near as nice of a vehicle to drive. Now with the combo you are looking at, it tows like a dream. You know the trailer is there, but other than on a rough road you barely notice it. A more than adequate combo.

2. I am using the Anderson Ultimate and love it, not only for the great job in towing and hitching, but to remove and install it like I often need to do for work is a breeze.

3. This by far is the largest, and likely only drawback to the 5.0TA. Lots of interior storage (I did maximize mine), but you lose a lot of ability for exterior storage. Not only do you lose the option of the front storage box, you also lose a lot of effective storage inside the box of a pickup or back of an SUV with the need for a fifth wheel hitch. To help with storage of campsite items, like appliances, chairs, table, mat, games, etc, I built a storage box on the rear to house lots of these things and carry our bikes as well. What I miss is a place to carry big items effectively, but am working on that.

I use a Fold-A-Cover tonneau cover, with an optional front storage caddy which is very big. I have had it 3 years now and it works like a charm. The storage caddy is a bit of a bother to access, but it does carry a lot of tools, supplies and the like. While I love using this caddy, I have entertained the thought of removing it to store a couple large things underneath the front of the cover like my inflatable canoe. Access to the hitch and towing is not affected by it.

Another great storage space which is now limited by our trusty companion, Jasper, is the rear seat are of a SuperCrew cab. Jasper now gets the whole seat, but if we were to lift the seats up, the potential for storage space is huge. Not an option for a bunch of years yet, as Jasper is a very healthy 10 year old with lots of life left in him (fingers crossed).

You can carry a Clam beside the hitch if you have the 6.5' box. I love the Clam, but its size is really a pain to haul around. We have put it on the trailer floor for a weekend destination trip, but I would never put anything on the floor for an extended trip, as it is too much of a pain, especially if you are not using it.

It comes down to how much stuff your really want to take, and not only what you really need. I have lots of ideas, like building closed storage boxes for the bed that allow easy access while allowing easy hitching and towing. I do use a large plastic container behind the hitch, but it is not an ideal size.

Here is a photo of my trailer with the storage box I built.

4. As mentioned above, interior storage is not a problem for us. Lots of room for everything we want inside, and I have plans to eke out a bit more, just need the time to do it.

Most folks are likely getting tired of this link, but here is one from a ways back of some of the interior cabinet work I have done, in case you (or others) had not seen it. I have done lots of little things since, but not much for cabinet work.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...0ta-10461.html
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:33 AM   #9

Trailer: none
Jim, do you full-time in your Escape?
Old 07-30-2018, 09:22 AM   #10

Thanks Jim. This is perfect. It’s exactly the type of feedback I am looking for. I like the fold a cover design for a tonneau cover. I can probably use plastic bins easily under the front. I wonder if there are others who make a tonneau cover that opens at the front and back. My current one only opens in the back. I will research that.

We love our Clam also. We don’t use it every trip but it’s nice to know it will fit inside on the floor if necessary. I’m currently thinking about the crew cab with 5.5 ft bed for an extra foot of inside storage (no dog) and a crew cab with a 6.5 ft bed won’t fit inside my garage. [emoji17].
Old 07-30-2018, 09:38 AM   #11

Forgot to ask. Will the tonneau cover close completely when the Anderson hitch is installed and the 5.0 is unhitched. I’m concerned the hitch is too high to allow the cover to close completely when unhitched.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks Jim. This is perfect. It’s exactly the type of feedback I am looking for. I like the fold a cover design for a tonneau cover. I can probably use plastic bins easily under the front. I wonder if there are others who make a tonneau cover that opens at the front and back. My current one only opens in the back. I will research that.

We love our Clam also. We don’t use it every trip but it’s nice to know it will fit inside on the floor if necessary. I’m currently thinking about the crew cab with 5.5 ft bed for an extra foot of inside storage (no dog) and a crew cab with a 6.5 ft bed won’t fit inside my garage. [emoji17].
Your truck gets parked in a garage? [emoji41]

Remember, the Clam will not fit in a 5.5' box.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-30-2018, 10:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
Jim, do you full-time in your Escape?
I wish, but no. Still a working stiff.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Forgot to ask. Will the tonneau cover close completely when the Anderson hitch is installed and the 5.0 is unhitched. I’m concerned the hitch is too high to allow the cover to close completely when unhitched.
No problem at all closing the cover with the hitch installed.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Your truck gets parked in a garage? [emoji41]

Remember, the Clam will not fit in a 5.5' box.

In a garage? Yes! With about 6 inches to spare. Texas summers can be brutal. [emoji4]. We camped the last two weeks in the Texas Hill Country. Temps 106 during the day. It was not comfortable at all unless you were in the water. I’m happy to report our small refrigerator kept up with the heat or at least the ice for my adult beverages stayed frozen.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:29 AM   #16

We love our Clam but it barely fits in our 6.5 bed on my Tundra Double Cab so I know it won’t fit in the 5.5 bed.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:49 AM   #17

Excuse my ignorance but what is a clam?
Old 07-30-2018, 10:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post

Just sent you a PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:16 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
Excuse my ignorance but what is a clam?

It’s a shade/screen shelter that goes up and down very easily. Here is a photo from our recent camping tri. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4688.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	339.7 KB
ID:	33067
Old 07-30-2018, 11:22 AM   #20

Quote:
It’s a shade/screen shelter that goes up and down very easily. Here is a photo from our recent camping tri. Attachment 33067

Now I get it, thanks!