Fore and aft twin beds - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2015, 11:11 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Fore and aft twin beds

because of health problems my wife and can not share a bed. In our chalet we have converted the rear queen bed to a twin with a 2 person dinet in front of it with the xtrea space. Took out the front coach and made another twin with drawer underneath. It has served us well for ten years. But now it's time to upgrade and we want the 19 but with twin beds. Has anyone modified there 19 with this type of set up? Thank you.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:09 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
because of health problems my wife and can not share a bed. In our chalet we have converted the rear queen bed to a twin with a 2 person dinet in front of it with the xtrea space. Took out the front coach and made another twin with drawer underneath. It has served us well for ten years. But now it's time to upgrade and we want the 19 but with twin beds. Has anyone modified there 19 with this type of set up? Thank you.
You could always ask Reace. I see no structural reason why they couldn't build a narrower permanent bed in the back, and provide single seat benches on either side in front of it. You could then have the front dinette converted into a permanent bed also, as in this drawing:
Attached Thumbnails
Drawing1.jpg  
Old 08-15-2015, 01:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Nice work with the drawing, Robert

I agree that this layout, which I believe is essentially what you have in the Chalet, is the only way to get twin beds in any Escape model... and it could be done in any model.
17 Foot - beds would be narrow
19 Foot - as shown; front bed would be wider than a typical "twin"
21 Foot - rear would be like 19 Foot, front would be standard double bed
5.0TA - rear would be like 21 Foot and 19 Foot, front would be standard queen bed in loft

None of the Escape models have a long enough sleeping or seating area to have twin beds side-by-side with aisle between them, as is available in some larger RVs.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:01 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Twin beds

thank you both for responding. That is exactly the set up in our chalet . We thought about getting a 21 but don't know as that would be a little much for my 2014 Tacoma ( v6 4x4 , tow package) and can't afford to up grade right now. Besides I love my Tacoma. The 17 was to small, so thought the 19 would be a good compromise,Our chalet is also a 19ft.
The 21 with the bed where it is would be great for my wife. And I could just set up the dinette at night. The room would be great! But I don't know. My tow rating is 6200lbs, say the 21 loaded is 4300. That would give me a 30 percent cushion. What do ya think?
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:51 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
There will be about a 500-600 lb weight difference between the two. Both can be towed with your Taco. I'd say get what you like. The tow isn't as important as the trailer - especially long term.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:09 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I'm towing a 21, about 4100 lbs wet & loaded, with a Taco V6 4x4 long bed 4 door with zero problems/issues. Tows really well.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
And I could just set up the dinette at night.
If you don't mind converting between dinette and bed each day, both the 19' and the 21' (and the 5.0TA) would work in their stock form, since both have a permanent bed plus a convertible dinette. Even the 17' would work, but the front bed (when set up that way) is quite narrow.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:25 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
oooooh this is an old thread... but this was just posted as an option for an Escape 5.0TA right from the factory by trainman (John) on FiberglassRV. The beds are not full-size twins which are 38", but 36" twins. Neato for those that want it!
Attached Thumbnails
Twin Beds_in50a.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:31 PM   #9

Note that as par of that twins-in-5.0TA setup, the vertical cabinets are omitted from the front corners of the loft to allow the mattresses to sit into the corners. That means that this option is not just mattresses, but some cabinet work as well; still, it presumably could be done to an existing 5.0TA.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:40 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
That's very cool. I sleep on @32 inches in my 17A and have no problem with it. The bed in the 17B lists as 30. It is nice for one to be able to scootch out at the bottom without waking the other.

Donna, how is your single bed in your 5.0 working out? That was such a clever modification.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:04 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Donna, how is your single bed in your 5.0 working out? That was such a clever modification.
Working fine. BUT, the legs need to be cut down as I mentioned in my original post. I must have bashed my head 25x on the vent during my trip. You'd think after the first dozen times I'd remember. But noooo. Judy thought her morning started every day with me saying $%^@#!
Old 10-30-2018, 06:38 PM   #12
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
I'am sorry I don't get it ? Someone needs to spend more time actually camping in a 5.0 to think this is a good idea. First time you split your head on that upper cabinet, it's gonna be fun, not to mention wasting two of the most valuable spaces in the loft area. Is this a prototype ?
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:49 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
I'am sorry I don't get it ? Someone needs to spend more time actually camping in a 5.0 to think this is a good idea. First time you split your head on that upper cabinet, it's gonna be fun, not to mention wasting two of the most valuable spaces in the loft area. Is this a prototype ?
No prototype but an actual option available. There are those that prefer to sleep in separate beds, but don't want to convert the dinette every night into a bed. I think it's a fine option for those people and far better than the other choices like an Oliver or Casita Independence.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:18 PM   #14

Trailer: 2011 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
oooooh this is an old thread... but this was just posted as an option for an Escape 5.0TA right from the factory by trainman (John) on FiberglassRV. The beds are not full-size twins which are 38", but 36" twins. Neato for those that want it!

My Blog; https://lenanddian.blogspot.com
Old Fulica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:19 PM   #15
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
No prototype but an actual option available. There are those that prefer to sleep in separate beds, but don't want to convert the dinette every night into a bed. I think it's a fine option for those people and far better than the other choices like an Oliver or Casita Independence.
Ohh I see, It never occurred to me sorry
Heck for some reason my honey bunches gets Frisky while camping, this arrangement would impact me in a negative way!
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:54 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
As others have said i think your Toyota would pull the 21; fine. We just purchased a 2014 21' and have towed it a fair amount already in some mountain conditions and it towed fine with my 2012 4WD Pathfinder that has a 6,000 pound tow capacity.
Also we just showed our 21' to a couple looking at both it and the 19', they saw the 19' first and once they saw ours they said hands down ordering a 21'.
Hope you find what you are looking for.

Safe and enjoyable travels to all,

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote