Formica left over pieces - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-03-2014, 06:53 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Formica left over pieces

New buyers might want to request the leftover Formica pieces from their build, they get trashed by ETI. My sink cover is a tad too small so it falls in the sink - I would make a new one but don't want to buy a full 4x8 foot sheet to do that. Had I requested the scraps from ETI (which has to buy full sheets) I would have had plenty to do that.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Yup, it's part of our built list. They said we'd get a box of 'em (Formica and cabinetry scraps).
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
New buyers might want to request the leftover Formica pieces from their build, they get trashed by ETI. My sink cover is a tad too small so it falls in the sink - I would make a new one but don't want to buy a full 4x8 foot sheet to do that. Had I requested the scraps from ETI (which has to buy full sheets) I would have had plenty to do that.
Seems like you should automatically get your overage and then say you don't want it. We were so confused with great new information that we drove off without the excess upholstery and Formica. We did request our upholstery fabric and received it via mail.

Wish I had our scrap formica now too, I just hadn't thought of it yet ...

If I was picking up a new trailer I would ask for a few pieces of interior trim too, I could not find a source of the products they use in the US.

Mel
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:41 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Seems like you should automatically get your overage and then say you don't want it. We were so confused with great new information that we drove off without the excess upholstery and Formica. We did request our upholstery fabric and received it via mail.

Wish I had our scrap formica now too, I just hadn't thought of it yet ...

If I was picking up a new trailer I would ask for a few pieces of interior trim too, I could not find a source of the products they use in the US.

Mel
Good thought on the trim; I had to email Reace to get some 2 ft samples for a countertop I'm installing.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 12-03-2014, 08:06 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I can see that any significant bits of owner supplied materials should rightly come back to the owner. But any leftover bits of Escape supplied materials Should be kept by Escape to be used up in another build.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:18 PM   #6
Commercial Member

My comment referred to those who did a Formica option and paid for the entire 4x8 sheet of material.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 12-03-2014, 08:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
I can see that any significant bits of owner supplied materials should rightly come back to the owner. But any leftover bits of Escape supplied materials Should be kept by Escape to be used up in another build.
ETI materials belong to ETI, that is assumed.

We paid for the Formica and installation option.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I presume if you leave the pieces at ETI they can charge you for storage or disposal?
Old 12-03-2014, 08:55 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I presume if you leave the pieces at ETI they can charge you for storage or disposal?
Yup, $30K or so.........

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 12-03-2014, 09:46 PM   #10

Quote:
I'm sure you are joking
Old 12-03-2014, 09:51 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
I would make a new one but don't want to buy a full 4x8 foot sheet to do that. Had I requested the scraps from ETI (which has to buy full sheets) I would have had plenty to do that.
When I made my swing up counter extension I ordered a piece from them. It was only $10 plus shipping.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:59 PM   #12

Nope, just wondering how we got to here from a year ago when people were thrilled that Escape would do almost anything you ask, to now, complaining that they didn't save Formica and upholstery trim pieces, even though they weren't asked to do that.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
When I made my swing up counter extension I ordered a piece from them. It was only $10 plus shipping.

Ron
Hi Ron, I think you are missing one detail.

My wife chose upholstery and formica that is 'unique' and her personal choice. We paid whatever the full price was and paid for shipping the fabric from Tucson Arizona.

We paid for the materials and the 'option' of having it installed.

If you spend thousands of dollars for the trailer and the 'optional' installation of anything the overage (excess materials) should stay with the trailer for future repairs etc.

IF the new owner doesn't want to haul it they can leave it there for 'no charge' just like the materials, packing, unused install parts, etc. from any other 'option' they buy?

Mel
Old 12-03-2014, 10:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Nope, just wondering how we got to here from a year ago when people were thrilled that Escape would do almost anything you ask, to now, complaining that they didn't save Formica and upholstery trim pieces, even though they weren't asked to do that.
As long as you asked, Irma's sister asked "where is the extra fabric?". She helped pick it and is an excellent seamstress.

We sent 2 emails to ETI requesting the fabric and were told they couldn't find it.

Irma insisted we try one more time as it was 6 yards (over $300.US) because she was told to send 11+ yards but that was almost twice what was needed.

We did receive the fabric after it was "found".

I never thought of the formica until I read this but I would have thought of it in a few weeks when I was going to make another flip out shelf.

Please read this carefully so you understand. Would you like to hear how Irma feels about it?

Sorry to vent but you have asked twice now and I'm answering your questions.

Mel
Old 12-03-2014, 10:24 PM   #15

Interesting that you put the word "found" in quotes, suggesting that you think ETI was keeping it on the off chance that somebody else would request the same fabric and what was left would be enough.
Seems to me they made an effort to find it, and found it, even though you didn't request that it be saved for you.
I doubt ETI makes a penny off of many of these custom jobs they do.
If you'd asked to have remnants saved and they didn't, then I think you'd have a beef.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:47 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
My comment referred to those who did a Formica option and paid for the entire 4x8 sheet of material.
Formica comes in sizes smaller than 4x8 because I ordered the same style from Lowes to redo our table top. While ETI may order a large sheet I don't think there would be much left after a build especially if a 19 or 21. As to fabric, we got so much back that I could almost do the cushions again.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:55 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Tim, thanks for the info - I'll hit up Loews for a little piece order. Not huge dollars, a full sheet is only $50, but I don't see a need to waste 90% of it and my shop is full of leftovers. I was not whining about ETI not giving me the leftovers, just commenting. Would be good for them to offer the excess to the buyer, but as a manufacturer that would be one of the last thinks I would have in setting up the build process.

On the cushion fabric - wifey said it made no sense to double the amount for a pattern after viewing their cushions, so we didn't. Still got a bunch of fabric back!

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 12-03-2014, 11:07 PM   #18

Charlie Y,

I don't understand why your sink cover doesn't fit and falls into the sink. The piece comes out to make room for the sink. Got any pix or theories to help explain?
Old 12-03-2014, 11:33 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Quote:
Charlie Y,

I don't understand why your sink cover doesn't fit and falls into the sink. The piece comes out to make room for the sink. Got any pix or theories to help explain?
Theory 1: The hole in the sink is bigger than the cover. Theory 2: The cover is smaller than the hole in the sink.

Conclusion: Poor worksmanship with the router. With 1/8th inch more material on all sides the sucker wouldn't always be down in the hole. Router burns on the underside of the part indicate lack of a proper jig to make the part to fit the sink. Too much freehanding.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 12-03-2014, 11:43 PM   #20

I will shoot pix of my cover tomorrow. Mine fits like a glove. A hole is cut for the sink. The piece that comes out will make the cover. The sink goes in the hole, making the hole smaller. So, I don't understand how your sink cover would fall inside the sink.
Pitch dark right now and I'm watching Survivor, so I'll do it tomorrow.