Frame Dimensions and Axles - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 19 ft Escape, Tow: 2014 Ram 1500
Frame Dimensions and Axles

Good Day!

I was curious as to what type of frame is used in the various Escape models. Is it a box frame, “C” frame, “I” frame etc. Also what are the frame dimensions (2”X3”, 2”x4”, or 2”X5”)?

Also, can someone tell me what type of axle is used and who is the manufacturer. I’ve already read on the forum that Escape uses torsion axles but I have yet to locate the manufacturer.

I am a believer in using standard parts used in the industry just in case one needs to replace an axle or part at some point in the life of the trailer. However, whatever Escape uses I am convinced it is the best trailer out there in terms of quality. When I can afford it I will place my order.

Thanks!

Larry Dog
tannerls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #2

I just found Tim and Julie’s webpage (a fantastic webpage!) and they point out that they ordered the E-Z Lube Dexter Axle. I’m still trying to locate frame dimensions.

Thanks
Old 03-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
I know the 15 and 17 are 1.5 x 3.0 inches because I asked Reace so I could prefit my Equal-I-zer hitch. There has been some discussion that the 21 will be on a 2 x 4 frame.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #4

Thanks so much for your response. I just noticed frame size is posted under “Bits and Pieces” on your webpage. Having just retired, we are trying to get setup to do some traveling and the wife and I are discussing which options would work best for us. I would like to go light with the 15ft but the wife wants the 19ft. I must say your website has already been a valuable resource for newcomers like us and we really appreciate the effort that goes into it.

HAVE FUN!!!

Larry and Janet
Old 03-27-2013, 11:16 PM   #5

Trailer: n/a
sounds like a 17 would be perfect...lol
bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:47 AM   #6

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tannerls View Post
I would like to go light with the 15ft but the wife wants the 19ft.

Larry and Janet
Before we knew about Escape trailers we started out looking for a used 15 ft trailer. After some dismal attempts at finding a suitable used Boler or Trillium we looked at a used17 ft Casita, again with less than satisfactory results. After finding Escape while perusing the RV forum Tammy arranged for us to see a 19 ft. The extraordinary quality of Escape and the permanent Queen bed sold both of us immediately. Our original budget was under $10,000 for a used 15, so we ended up spending 3 times our original budget... Hmmm...Mmmm! Those options add up quickly but we don't regret for a minute going for it
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I didn't see anyone providing axle details...
All models use Torflex axle/suspension by Dexter Axle. All of them (except possibly the special-order 13' model) use the Torflex #10 model, which has a capacity of up to 3500 pounds. To suit the trailer weight for best ride and handling, the Torflex units in the 19' model (which is a tandem - has two axles) have the internal spring/bushing rubber trimmed to 2500 pound rating; in the coming 21' model, they will be trimmed for 3000 pounds each. Since all are Torflex #10, they all have the same hubs and bearings, and the same 10" electric drum brakes.

Reace provided the planned 2"x4" frame tubing dimensions for the 21', but I would be interested if someone could check the 19' frame dimensions... or the 5.0.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #8

Thanks Brian for the details… Yes I would also like to know more about the frame dimensions especially for the 19 since that is my wife’s favorite floor plan although the 5.0 is an interesting option. We have not yet picked out our tow vehicle so I could go with a truck.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #9

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Tim and Julie
2013 Escape 15B
Our webpage: http://tinyurl.com/escape15
Excellent website!

You mention "All axles are Dexter torsion bar axles." Since this design does not use a torsion bar spring, a better term might be something like "Dexter rubber-sprung torsion axles"... and if you're editing, you could even add the product name ('Torflex") and model ("#10") and that 10" electric brakes are included... but then, you do need to decide to what extent you want to repeat information available from the Escape Trailer Industries website.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #10

I realize that this is an old thread, but in case someone finds it and uses it for reference...
  • The current Escape frames all use the same size rectangular steel tube (box section) for the tongue as for the main frame rails. That tubing is 1.5" wide and 3" tall in the single-axle models (13', 15', 17' and original 5.0) and early 19' units; it is 2" wide and 4" tall on the tandem models (current 19', 21', and coming tandem 5.0).
  • The 50-degree A-frame tongue and main frame are at the same level, meeting in a mitre joint with a reinforcing plate on the inner vertical face of the joint.
  • The rear end of the frame is stepped up from the front, by overlapping the rear section tubing over the main section; regardless of the main section size, the rear section for all models uses 1.5" x 3" tubing.
  • The bumper is 1.5" x 3" across the ends of the main frame and continuing out to about the body width.
  • There are multiple crossmembers to suit the size, tank locations, stabilizer jacks, etc. These appear to be angle or Z-section.
  • The 5.0 fifth-wheel of course does not have a A-frame tongue. At the front of the main rails there are vertical tubes, then horizontal tubes to the front of the upper section (still the same horizontal spacing as the main frame), with a crossmember across the front, another further back, and longitudinal connectors between those crossmembers to which the pinbox is welded. All of these front section parts are rectangular tube, all seem to be 1.5" wide.