Frame question: Escape 15 & Trillium 1500 Outback - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2019, 10:57 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
Frame question: Escape 15 & Trillium 1500 Outback

So, given the Escape 15A is so rare to come up for sale there are a couple Trillium 1500 Outback trailers on the market right now.

The frame on the Trillium sounds/appears to be lighter construction ("12-gauge") than the Escape (gauge/wall thickness?).

Anyone have direct experience and/or knowledge comparing the Escape 15A/B frame and the later model year (2011-2014) Trillium 1500 15' frames?

My suspicion just from looking at photos of both frames: The Escape frame is more structurally robust...

I'm going to lift the suspension or replace it entirely. And long term plans will call for a new trailer foundation to swap...all in prepping for more serious off-road miles than either frames were probably designed to handle as well as a nose box for slide out outdoor kitchen, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Dan
dstreight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
12-gauge steel is 0.1046 inches or 2.656 millimetres thick. I don't recall any Escape frame described with tubing having a wall thickness less than 1/8" (0.125" or 3.175 mm).

There's also the height and width of the steel tubing, and very importantly the method of construction, of both bends (if used) and joints. There are so many details that it would not be easy to compare the strength of frames without a good look at both of them.

The general design of the frame of an Escape and any other Trillium-family trailer will be similar: the rear is stepped up by overlapping rectangular tubing, and the front has an A-frame tongue. Past that, there can be a lot of important differences.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote