Framed windows? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2019, 12:07 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
How do you figure? Outside of looking cooler, the frameless windows don’t visibly ooze butyl sealant in hot weather, unlike framed windows. Frameless provide a superior thermal barrier as the frame is not a direct thermal conduit from outside to inside, which means they sweat a lot less in cold weather. With the frameless setup you can open the large rear window on the trailer, unlike the framed rear window. And most obviously, the frameless windows are all-weather windows that can be used in rain or storm without soaking the trailer interior. The frameless windows offer much more than just cool looks. We’ve had both styles of windows, and prefer the frameless primarily because of their function, and secondarily for their aesthetic form.
This is getting so old now . Let's see now having 3 RV's in the last 45 years including the current trailer with sliding windows , what leaking ? What soaking of the interior ? Never happened to us . And even though we live in California , always travel and stay up North to Oregon and Washington , even in winter .. We have family there . As for large opening window in rear , the 2 sides are plenty for ventilation , one of which is a better escape window . Really don't care to open large window over my bed. Who the hell in a storm opens all their windows ? Do you not have a awning and use your roof fan ? Never had any operating problems or coming apart with the sliders . Once at a RV lot couldn't open the frameless on a new RV , the glass was stuck to the inside seal butyl is on many places on your trailer for sealing . It is a good removable sealer.
Finally , good you love your windows . Many of us love ours too , sliders . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:21 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Takes a few minutes to remove oozing butyl. ETI included this scraper in the goody bag at a rally.
Attached Thumbnails
butyl scraper?.jpg  
Old 03-08-2019, 03:15 PM   #23

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
This is getting so old now . Let's see now having 3 RV's in the last 45 years including the current trailer with sliding windows , what leaking ? What soaking of the interior ? Never happened to us . And even though we live in California , always travel and stay up North to Oregon and Washington , even in winter .. We have family there . As for large opening window in rear , the 2 sides are plenty for ventilation , one of which is a better escape window . Really don't care to open large window over my bed. Who the hell in a storm opens all their windows ? Do you not have a awning and use your roof fan ? Never had any operating problems or coming apart with the sliders . Once at a RV lot couldn't open the frameless on a new RV , the glass was stuck to the inside seal butyl is on many places on your trailer for sealing . It is a good removable sealer.

Finally , good you love your windows . Many of us love ours too , sliders . Pat

Interesting that your assessment fails to identify any advantages of the framed windows over the frameless, but rather is a list of the things you must do to mitigate the sliders’ deficiencies.

Sliders are fine. They work alright and I’m glad you like yours. We have owned and used both and we prefer the frameless, for the reasons I listed.

My point in rehashing these things was to provide additional, possibly helpful, information to a newer member here on the site, who appeared to be unaware of certain aspects of The Great Window Debate.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:19 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
In my opinion, in order to express an informed opinion, one must have had experience with both types of windows in various weather scenarios, to form an informed opinion....just saying.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:50 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
In my opinion, in order to express an informed opinion, one must have had experience with both types of windows in various weather scenarios, to form an informed opinion....just saying.
checked them out , not impressed . Especially when my brothers , brand new Winnebago Class A had to have all the frameless switched out from leaking and problems 4 mo old .We camp a lot with him . He still hates them because of lack of good ventilation. If I want to change out something that has been and still is in existence I want improvement not just looks . Sat in brand new RV 's went back and forth to frameless and sliders to check on ventilation . Sliders won hands down . By the way he also hates his power awning which we also sat under . But then we not impressed with huge Class A' either . Pat
Old 03-08-2019, 05:54 PM   #26

Quote:
Interesting that your assessment fails to identify any advantages of the framed windows over the frameless, but rather is a list of the things you must do to mitigate the sliders’ deficiencies.

Sliders are fine. They work alright and I’m glad you like yours. We have owned and used both and we prefer the frameless, for the reasons I listed.

My point in rehashing these things was to provide additional, possibly helpful, information to a newer member here on the site, who appeared to be unaware of certain aspects of The Great Window Debate.
Really . They are still being used on Olivers . Hmmmm , great ventilation , do not leak . No issues like coming apart . The rear of any RV we ever had was the dirtiest , so don't want opening rear windows especially where my bed is . Pat
Old 03-08-2019, 05:58 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Takes a few minutes to remove oozing butyl. ETI included this scraper in the goody bag at a rally.
Cool little tool unfortunately we didn't get one . We just use a old credit card . I think now coming up to 6 years only a couple times ever found the need to clean up the butyl and we always take care of the trailer . Pat
Old 03-08-2019, 07:06 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Agree with you Pat; hadn't thought about dust/dirt seeping in the back window. The other thing is one loses the picture window as the frameless rear is split down the middle. How do you take a good pic for "What's out your back window"?
Old 03-08-2019, 10:00 PM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
... the frameless windows don’t visibly ooze butyl sealant in hot weather, unlike framed windows.
Since the "frameless" windows are just framed windows with the outer glass plane bonded to the outside of the moving frame, overlapping the fixed frame to hide it, they both need to be sealed to the trailer in essentially the same way. If the frameless windows are installed with a gasket instead of sealant, or some modern sealant instead of plumber's putty with added butyl, the same could be done with the traditional "framed" windows.

Quote:
With the frameless setup you can open the large rear window on the trailer, unlike the framed rear window. And most obviously, the frameless windows are all-weather windows that can be used in rain or storm without soaking the trailer interior.
This is the result of the awning configuration (top-hinged), rather than the "frameless" construction. I would be happy with awning-style framed windows; I've only had sliders.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:32 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19'
We have the dual pane framed windows in our 2017 19'. Haven't had any problems with rain because the window I keep open is the one over the kitchen sink. We're perfectly happy with our windows. Speaking of rain....it's the awning I'm not too pleased with, but that's a different thread.
katzam29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:18 AM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Really . They are still being used on Olivers . Hmmmm , great ventilation , do not leak . No issues like coming apart . The rear of any RV we ever had was the dirtiest , so don't want opening rear windows especially where my bed is . Pat

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 04:03 AM   #32

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
I think Framed and Frameless camps should pick some sort of readily identifiable visual marker, like gang colors, so everybody can tell who’s who at rallies and such. How about gray for Framers, and blue for Framelessers? Sorta Civil Warrish. Of course, everyone knows how that turned out. [emoji6]
Old 03-09-2019, 05:30 PM   #33

No way, I'm a Framer and I want us to be Blue.

Ron
Old 03-09-2019, 05:48 PM   #34

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
How about shirts and skins.
The framed windows could be shirts and frameless could be shirtless...maybe that is something best not seen.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:09 PM   #35

Trailer: 2013 19ft Escape "Eggy Sue"
How about CALGARY FRAMES vs the CAROLINA HURRIFRAMES?
2002 Toyota Tundra 4X4
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:56 PM   #36

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
How about shirts and skins.
The framed windows could be shirts and frameless could be shirtless...maybe that is something best not seen.
I believe I've read that the women can legally be topless in Canada. This could work!
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:53 PM   #37

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
No way, I'm a Framer and I want us to be Blue.

Ron
You'd be a red coat.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:38 PM   #38

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
No Civil War reenactment here, I don't have a dog in this fight, sorry.
Know which one's I like and I've got them. Hope everyone is aligned similarly with their choices.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:01 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther View Post
You'd be a red coat.
Well, maybe. I know that I'd certainly be Blue if my only choice was frameless.

Ron