Framed windows? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2019, 11:32 AM   #1

Trailer: escape 19
Framed windows?

For those of you that got the standard framed windows that come on the 19, do you like them? Do you wish you had purchased the frameless windows? Our build sheet is due next week and this has been an ongoing discussion for quite awhile. Keep in mind we live in Florida, so we won't be camping in below freezing temps! Any advice or opinion welcome.
stevemcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
We have framed windows on our 19 and opted for framed on our 5.0 to be delivered this summer. We like them and have had no problems. They are simple to operate and we like the cross ventilation we get when fully opened. We live in Texas so we are in a moderate climate as well. We get no rain inside on the passengers side when to awning is open even a bit.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:05 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There are a couple of differences between the two. Frameless allows use in the rain. Frameless also gives you opening rear windows. Framed or sliders cost less as they are standard on the Escape.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Framed windows will not give you any problems, Iike coming apart . Great ventilation. Never keen on huge opening windows in our 19 bed area . Your choice though . Sometimes the old tried and true works with less issues . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Beware (Murphy's Law) the bane of unintended consequences. I think those new unframed awning style windows seemed like a good idea when they first appeared, mostly because they looked so upscale-modern. The trade-off was you sacrificed a stoggier, tried and true window apparatus for one looking more cool that also kept rain out. Ah, but then design flaws reigned in much of the excitement.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I've never personally been a fan of the frameless windows on any trailer and glad I have the "classic 19."
On all our trailers we've never really had a problem with rain coming in the sliders, but we don't get much practice with that in AZ
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:06 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Windows are something we don't have to think about with the 2015 model. They just work.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:33 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Function over form for this camper...too much required maintenance as there is to chance problems with a system (frameless) that has shown itself to be problematic- both with separation issues as well as with the crank mechanism. The only problem you see with framed thermal is a rare fogging issue. Think I've seen that reported here three times since 2013.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:05 PM   #9

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Function over form for this camper...too much required maintenance as there is to chance problems with a system (frameless) that has shown itself to be problematic- both with separation issues as well as with the crank mechanism. The only problem you see with framed thermal is a rare fogging issue. Think I've seen that reported here three times since 2013.

When (I checked with the folks up in Hudson Fl about window repair if mine were to fail they said the majority of the windows they rebuild are the framed ones with condensation inside caused by seal failure.

The frameless styles were not failing as often. He said the condensation sometimes etched the surface of the glass on the framed styles when the owner took their time having them fixed.

Which made me feel better about having them as they were not time bombs waiting to fail and can be fixed for a reasonable cost if they did fail. With a longer warranty to boot.

So if in the future I were to go for another Escape trailer having the frameless awning windows would not be a concern.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:03 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 19' Escape "Cattyshack"
We have the frame-less windows in our 2017 19' and like them. We do keep them open during rain. The non frame-less front window is the only window we really have condensation issues with in cold weather. But we have found if we leave the two front side windows slightly open with the fan on low there is very little condensation.
NCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:06 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Again, there have been few- almost no reported problems on this forum regarding issues with framed Hehr thermal windows. After having owned a used 17B with single pane- I ordered our 21 with same, yet had to switch as Escape had installed half the windows and the rest were backordered, so for expediency we switched to thermal as I was packed and ready to go and Susan had a flight already booked.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:06 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
I have a theory about the frameless having issues with more flexing of the sidewalls . Also being used on a thinner surface then stick trailer . Oliver still only uses sliding thermo windows on their trailers , and they are double wall thickness . We are in Nov coming up on 6 years . Have had these windows on over 12 years camper and motorhome , never fogging or any problems . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:59 AM   #13

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
I have a theory about the small frameless windows having spotty reliability because someone in the manufacturing process used the wrong glue to put those particular windows together. But only in one of the two manufacturing facilities where they made those particular windows. The other facility used the correct glue, and those windows seem to be fine. At least according to Escape.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:33 PM   #14

Trailer: 2012 E19
Jalousie windows have been around for decades. I wonder why we don't see more of them nowadays? They crank out and keep the rain from coming in.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:39 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I think if they were better than what is in use today, they would still be in use. Probably people don't want drafty windows with multiple parts to wear or break.
They are popular in the tropics where some homes don't have windows at all.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:38 AM   #16

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
We have the standard windows in our 5 TA. Not an option in our model year. To sum up they simply work.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:02 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Jalousie windows leak air as there is no gasket where each glass piece meet nor at the edge they are not flush. Then there are multiple panes that move, doubtful they can make thermal in jalousie style.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:17 AM   #18

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
Were ordering our 21 with framed windows. We have those in our Casita and like them. The frameless look cool but like function over style. The standard Escape window includes one pane and if u get the option of 'extra insulation', the windows are dual pane.
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:56 AM   #19

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
windows?

believe me! You don't want jealousy windows, we had them in our VW camper in the 60's and the trips from SFO to Colorado over X-mas time were cold trips even with a white gas heater on the floor. We also had them in a Traveleze trailer and we thought they looked great and functional in the rain, not so much in the cold.
Our dual pane hinged windows still appears work and look cool after 6 months in mostly nice weather. Here in AZ we could stand a couple degree warm up for 6 months of the year, but not the other 6 months.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:14 AM   #20

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumboscott View Post
The frameless look cool but like function over style.

How do you figure? Outside of looking cooler, the frameless windows don’t visibly ooze butyl sealant in hot weather, unlike framed windows. Frameless provide a superior thermal barrier as the frame is not a direct thermal conduit from outside to inside, which means they sweat a lot less in cold weather. With the frameless setup you can open the large rear window on the trailer, unlike the framed rear window. And most obviously, the frameless windows are all-weather windows that can be used in rain or storm without soaking the trailer interior. The frameless windows offer much more than just cool looks. We’ve had both styles of windows, and prefer the frameless primarily because of their function, and secondarily for their aesthetic form.