Fresh Water Hoses - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 17B!
Fresh Water Hoses

Can you tell a newbie getting ready (way in advance - so excited) for her 17B what kind of fresh water hose has worked best for you? I know it should be one of those white ones for fresh water only but have you had better luck with the ones from Valterra or Camco or does the brand/manufacturer not matter at all? Also, what length hose have you found to work out the best for you - 10', 25' or what?

Thanks!

2002 Toyota Highlander
2013 Escape 17B!
Carol R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Carol, I started carrying two hoses. One 25' NeverKink, and another cheapo 15' one. I use the 25' one all the time, but the odd time I like to set up away from the hookups a bit, so the extra one comes out then.

I also carry a 30A extention cord as well for the same reason. I am also contemplating a cheap sewer hose extension too.

We used these a lot on a recent 2 week trip we did with friends. We got side by side sites, and turned one unit around so we faced each other, resulting in turning away from the hook-ups.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You'll also find campsites that cater to those motor homes, so all the services are on the wrong side for trailers. We've generally stayed in the off-season so we were able to hook up to the neighbor's service ( vacant ).
I have 25' and 50' RV water hoses, but only carry the 25' and an ordinary 25' garden hose ( which I could use in a pinch ). I've got a couple super-heavy-duty extension cords ( 60' I think ). It all contributes to peace of mind.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #4

Trailer: ?
We use a 25' white water hose. Not sure what brand, but I'd recommend getting one with metal end connectors. Our 1st water hose had plastic end connectors and they just didn't cut it. So far we haven't needed more than 25'.
Eugene We is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:51 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Carol R... We have a 50' not sure which brand tho. Sometimes it's too long but better than no water!!! BTW congrats in advance!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
Dynamic Duo.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:12 AM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You'll also find campsites that cater to those motor homes, so all the services are on the wrong side for trailers. We've generally stayed in the off-season so we were able to hook up to the neighbor's service ( vacant ).
Just in case people are confused by this...
Motorhomes are setup the same way as trailers: services on the driver's side, door on the passenger side, normally backed into sites close to the driver/service side and expecting "yard" space on the door side. They can go in forward, reversing everything, while a site is usually not long enough to do that with a trailer.

I think sites with services on the wrong side are not usually for motorhomes, but are more likely the result of the developer saving installation cost and effort by installing services in pairs for adjacent sites, making half of them "backwards"... although I have heard of some sites deliberately reversed so motorhomes can go in forward to enjoy a particularly good view out the windshield. We have a motorhome and every site we have hit so far has had us back in, just like a trailer.

Having said that, there are some stupid service setups - and some sites with non-working outlets or faucets - and in the motorhome I carry extensions for power, water, and waste.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Carol R... We have a 50' not sure which brand tho. Sometimes it's too long but better than no water!!! BTW congrats in advance!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Alf, have you considered buying a couple ends and splitting the hose in two? That way you could use only what you need, and have something easier to deal with. Then, for the few rare exceptions when you need the length, put them together.

I learned with extension cords years ago that long was not the best, as most of the time the length was not needed, and coiling up the cord was always a pain. Most of the guys that work for me have maybe one 25', and a bunch of shorter ones.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-10-2013, 07:11 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Alf, have you considered buying a couple ends and splitting the hose in two? That way you could use only what you need, and have something easier to deal with. Then, for the few rare exceptions when you need the length, put them together.

I learned with extension cords years ago that long was not the best, as most of the time the length was not needed, and coiling up the cord was always a pain. Most of the guys that work for me have maybe one 25', and a bunch of shorter ones.
Hi: Jim Bennett... It wouldn't matter what length of string, fishing line, electrical cord, or hose it is!!! It'll snarl up on me Alf
escape artist N.S. of lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:13 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you do any winter camping you may want a heated hose that will work in cold climates. Here is one I use http://www.farmandfleet.com/products...l#.UO7n0aV3-bA
Old 01-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #10

I think I had best concede now.

You have everything. I plead No Contest.
Dog as Navigator
DonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Don,
You gotta keep your hose warm in the winter!!! We are planning on going to West Virginia next week, highs 30, lows 10's, this will work in that kind of weather.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I carry a 25' white hose, brand unknown, but with metal end connectors, and also another similar 10 footer. Try to find ones that don't kink too badly, or have too much coiling memory. I've found that carrying a "Y" splitter is also a good idea, as well as a standard hose bibb, one of those "water thief" gadgets that allow you to hook up to those unthreaded hose bibbs you see from time to time, the pressure regulator, and a quick shut-off nozzle.

I also carry a couple of short (10' & 20') extra 20 amp electrical extension cords, and an adapter or two for the main 30 amp cord.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #13

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Got a new trailer. Got the starter kit with the white water hose thing.....It stinks like rubber kerosene and glue All at once. After about four weeks of use it stops to stink so much. Definitely keep it out of your Rye. it will @*$% it up bad.. Never mind the 11:00pm tea and oatmeal c chip cookies...
If you know what I mean. After about 8-weeks either you don't notice the smell or you just don't care any more .I dumped a liter of bleach and it worked... sort of.New trailers you love them or get use to them...
Old 01-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #14

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Keep in mind that bleach will rot rubber.
Camping supply shops have and sell potable tank refreshing additives and water treatments.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 17B!
Thanks to all for the hose information. Your knowledge and experience is so helpful!
Along the same line (water that is), any recommendations for brand/type of water filter that attaches to the clean water hose or are they all pretty much the same?

2002 Toyota Highlander
2013 Escape 17B!
Carol R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #16

I have never bothered with a water filter. So long as the water is potable, we use it for everything but drinking in some cases, and then use filtered water from jugs for that.

Often we are boondocking, and rely on what is in the tanks and our portable bottles anyway. Having a filter would not do much good there.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:42 AM   #17

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Yes you are correct, it wasn't bleach that you would use in laundry it was that tank refresh additive. It did help some but I realized it wasn't the tank but the white hose causing the odor and off taste. The odor went away as the hose got more use. I think it will be fine this next season. But I'm considering a in-line filter some place.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Speaking of hoses, do folks do anything to keep the ends of the hose clean? I carry the hose in the front storage box, along with tire chocks, lawn chairs, the stabilizer arms from the weight distribution hitch (when in storage). Somewhere along the way I noticed that I was storing the hose with a lot of dirty stuff. And every now an then, one end or the other gets dropped in the mud. I suppose I could find a hose bag for it, or maybe there are a couple of end caps that I find that would screw over the ends and prevent dirt from getting inside of the hose.

Do the rest of you do anything about this, or am I just being too fuss-budgety about it?

Thanks.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
Do the rest of you do anything about this, or am I just being too fuss-budgety about it?
All I do is give it a bit of a rinse at the tap, if needed. I do wipe it down before storing if it gets dirty laying on the ground, which happens in many sites.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I screw the two ends together. No little drips of water to dribble out in the storage area. Just following the KISS principle. Nothing to buy, nothing to lose.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote