Fresh Water Tank Filling When Connected to City Water - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2016, 10:42 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Greg - your info was correct. The pump in our 2010 was a Shurflo 2088-422-144. I wrote to Shurflo and they replied (almost immediately) "The replacement part number is 4008-101-E65, attached please find the product data sheet. We don’t sell direct you may contact your local RV dealer for assistance."

The only difference between the A65 and E65 is that the A is OEM and E is aftermarket.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:12 AM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Good information for folks to have. Thanks for pursuing it, Eric.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:24 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I thought I should follow up a bit on this. The pump design has been changed enough so that the water inlet and outlet connections do not match up to the existing PEX outlet side. The inlet side from the fresh tank is the flexible clear, so it it no problem - just needs to be shortened slightly. I'm converting the outlet side to the high pressure reinforced flexible tubing while I am doing it. Hopefully it will help quiet the pump more. I'm glad I'm doing this at home rather than out on a trip.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-19-2016, 01:28 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
... the water inlet and outlet connections do not match up to the existing PEX outlet side. The inlet side from the fresh tank is the flexible clear, so it it no problem - just needs to be shortened slightly. I'm converting the outlet side to the high pressure reinforced flexible tubing while I am doing it. Hopefully it will help quiet the pump more...
Great idea. Think of the pump replacement as an opportunity to correct the installation to what it should have been originally.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:09 PM   #25

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Eric. I just ordered another pump, the Shurflo 4008 A65 to have for a spare as all of the water I use at the farm is from the tank. If the pump failed I would have no water. If your are putting the new pump into your 2010, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some changes. I will see if the new pump is an exact fit in our 2015. Hope it is. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:51 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
The new pump is an exact replacement on our January, 2014 19'.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:57 PM   #27

Good to hear that the new one matches up with newer trailers. So some time between 2010 and 2014 the change happened

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 05-21-2016, 07:03 PM   #28

I can report that the new pump with the flexible outlet pipe instead of the PEX is much quieter than the old one. Not a fun job cutting the PEX and converting to the flexible. It would have been easier with those quick connect push on adapter/connectors, but I just can't get myself to trust them on our "earthquakes going down the road" (Thanks Donna)

Does Reace now use flexible on both sides of the water pump in new trailers? If not that it one more mod I am going to see if he will do for me on our 21.

One tip, if you are needing to work on the PEX and need to cut off the crimp bands, a Dremel tool with the cut off wheel lets you do it quite precisely and relatively easily.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:31 PM   #29

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
A couple lengths of flex is all the pump silencing kits are.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:13 AM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Back to the original issue of fresh water tank filling when on city water. We have also had that problem, but, I found that with our pump it can be solved by completely depressurizing the system after using the water pump and before hooking up to city water. Apparently running the pump and just turning off the power allows the check valve to hang open just a little, enough to allow leakage when the city water pressure comes on. Opening a tap (proper Canadian term) with the pump turned off allows the system to depressurize allowing the check valve to close completely. Then when city water pressure comes on the pump valve does not leak.

I do not know if this will work in all cases, but, a few seconds to depressurize is much easier and less costly than replacing the pump.
keager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:15 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by keager View Post
Back to the original issue of fresh water tank filling when on city water. We have also had that problem, but, I found that with our pump it can be solved by completely depressurizing the system after using the water pump and before hooking up to city water. Apparently running the pump and just turning off the power allows the check valve to hang open just a little, enough to allow leakage when the city water pressure comes on. Opening a tap (proper Canadian term) with the pump turned off allows the system to depressurize allowing the check valve to close completely. Then when city water pressure comes on the pump valve does not leak.

I do not know if this will work in all cases, but, a few seconds to depressurize is much easier and less costly than replacing the pump.

Good tip, your reasoning makes sense.

Old 05-29-2016, 04:03 PM   #32

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
I can report that the new pump with the flexible outlet pipe instead of the PEX is much quieter than the old one. Not a fun job cutting the PEX and converting to the flexible. It would have been easier with those quick connect push on adapter/connectors, but I just can't get myself to trust them on our "earthquakes going down the road" (Thanks Donna)

Does Reace now use flexible on both sides of the water pump in new trailers? If not that it one more mod I am going to see if he will do for me on our 21.

One tip, if you are needing to work on the PEX and need to cut off the crimp bands, a Dremel tool with the cut off wheel lets you do it quite precisely and relatively easily.
Do you know what type of screws are used to mount the pump? I have never seen this type, and noticed they are used through out the trailer.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:17 PM   #33

Trailer: 2012 15A
Our pump is mounted with standard wood screws with a Robertson No. 2 head (square hole for Robertson screw driver as compared to a Phillips, x-slot pattern, or slotted head screw)
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 04:23 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
Do you know what type of screws are used to mount the pump? I have never seen this type, and noticed they are used through out the trailer.
Do you mean the type with a square recess drive in the head, instead of Phillips or slot? That's Robertson or Scrulox (cheap drivers are sometimes just called "square drive", because Robertson and Scrulox are trademarks of Robertson Inc.). They are the most common style for wood screws in Canada, but much less common in the U.S.; most screws of the sizes used to put an RV together use the #2 size of Robertson driver, which is normally colour-coded red if the driver has a plastic handle.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:52 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Do you mean the type with a square recess drive in the head, instead of Phillips or slot? That's Robertson or Scrulox (cheap drivers are sometimes just called "square drive", because Robertson and Scrulox are trademarks of Robertson Inc.). They are the most common style for wood screws in Canada, but much less common in the U.S.; most screws of the sizes used to put an RV together use the #2 size of Robertson driver, which is normally colour-coded red if the driver has a plastic handle.
Yes, wood screws with the square head. I order a Robinson #2 from Amazon. Thank you very much for the info.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:25 PM   #36

If you need them sooner than Amazon, most hardware stores have them. They are becoming more common, especially for deck screws, etc. The deck screws I have bought recently are a combination of a #2 square and a Phillips, so that you can use either screwdriver head with the same screws.
Attached Thumbnails
2000px-Screw_Head_-_Quadrex.svg.jpg  

Old 05-29-2016, 05:37 PM   #37

Quote:
If you need them sooner than Amazon, most hardware stores have them. They are becoming more common, especially for deck screws, etc. The deck screws I have bought recently are a combination of a #2 square and a Phillips, so that you can use either with the same screws.
Ironically, some deck screws here are now moving to Torx, which didn't exist (and would not have been reasonable to manufacture) when Robertson was invented, but can handle even more torque without stripping or slipping.
Those combinations can be convenient - there are hundreds in my motorhome so I keep encountering them - but they can't handle as much drive torque as a pure Robertson.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:39 PM   #38

Brian, yes, I like the Torx ones best, but they are harder to find sometimes still, at least in the coatings or length I'm sometimes looking for. At least they are ALL better then the old straight slots I grew up with....

Old 05-29-2016, 06:23 PM   #39

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Brian, yes, I like the Torx ones best, but they are harder to find sometimes still, at least in the coatings or length I'm sometimes looking for. At least they are ALL better then the old straight slots I grew up with....
Thoer , I live in a small town of 87 people and the local Lumber yard handles coated tork screw in sizes from 3/4" to 4 1/2".
They have pretty much abandoned Phillips head screws in sizes 2" and above.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:24 PM   #40

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Steve, You need to update your avatar re: population#.....