Friendly Message From Karl - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2022, 10:32 PM   #21

Trailer: 19 - 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGLP View Post
Heck of a mess. Per MPR news, the Army Corps of Engineers has been working for 20 years thus far to clean up the area. I suppose we will be contributing more of our federal tax dollars to the clean up in years to come.
This is from WWII nuclear weapons production. The weapons program was ran by the Army Corps of Engineers. I'm perplexed at why you are concerned that our federal tax dollars are paying for this, when it appears that the party responsible for the contamination is paying for the clean up. Make no mistake though, I do know where the federal tax dollars come from.
Old 10-19-2022, 10:53 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Ok
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
Madison Wisconsin, Southern California-me in Ferguson is the one living in the bubble…

————————————————————————————————————-
“Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.”
-Buddha-
Again- too many assumptions. I don't live in SoCal & own rentals properties as well, yet have never mentioned it before and don't use them to brag about being able to offset price increases by making big raises in rents.
Old 10-19-2022, 11:10 PM   #23

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Ok

Again- too many assumptions. I don't live in SoCal & own rentals properties as well, yet have never mentioned it before and don't use them to brag about being able to offset price increases by making big raises in rents.
Well pilgrim, I’m going to swagger off-
Old 10-19-2022, 11:45 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lots of stuff going on here. Not sure there’s a lot of value in it. Big money is going to do what big money does best, make money. I expect Karl and crew are doing their best with the constraints put on them by the moneyed masters in the background. I only have one big complaint, which means little as I’m a former owner, but that’s the way they handled the exploding stoves. By the way I’ve been the target of an adhominen attack or two, but I have a thick skin, there too many great folks here who share great info on more than just Escapes, with humor and a quick wit to ruin my attitude. Like my favorite late Cajun guitar player used to say, ‘No matter where you are, there you at”

Back to the fiddle I think.
Old 10-19-2022, 11:57 PM   #25

Bottom line is Karl (mouthpiece for KV) wants after taking a lot.

As my mother from GA would say: Kiss my foot.
Old 10-20-2022, 06:39 AM   #26

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
I took a photo of my Maine registration (which includes the ME sales taxes and the ME registration fees) and sent it off to them. Not a big deal.
Old 10-20-2022, 07:07 AM   #27

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanerickson View Post
This is from WWII nuclear weapons production. The weapons program was ran by the Army Corps of Engineers. I'm perplexed at why you are concerned that our federal tax dollars are paying for this, when it appears that the party responsible for the contamination is paying for the clean up. Make no mistake though, I do know where the federal tax dollars come from.
History states otherwise.
A private manufacturer stored the waste in barrels that rusted. It seems the Atomic Energy Commission was involved in the handling of the waste after it was shipped out. I don't believe the Army Corps were not responsible for the production and subsequent storage of the waste.
I don't see mention of private industry contributing to the cleanup.

St. Louis's Scandalous Nuclear History

Locally, it isn't the government that produced and dumped the "forever chemicals" found in well water in Oakdale, MN. One cannot always lay blame easily. In stating this fact, I refer to a blanket statement made in one post:

"Sounds like a tough deal for the residents, but as you look at both sides of the equation, the owner is paying taxes to a government that is relentless. On top of that the area is being allowed to be ruined by crime, by that same government."
Old 10-20-2022, 07:26 AM   #28

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
The first was deleting after sale service. For many things- especially warranty items- ETI is much better equipped to resolve the issue. Of course one has to be somewhat proximate to ETI for this to make sense, however we purposely planned a trip up to B.C. just prior to our warranty expiring to have a punch list taken care of.
I think you're confused.

Escape did not eliminate doing warranty service at the factory. They deleted doing after sales install of options.

If your trailer has a defect that Escape would be responsible for repair to my knowledge you can, and several people have taken it to the Escape factory and get it fixed.

However, if you decide you did want an air conditioner, solar, inverter, front box, etc, but, didn't get it originally equipped from Escape isn't going to put one in for you at the factory.
Old 10-20-2022, 09:06 AM   #29

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGLP View Post
History states otherwise.
A private manufacturer stored the waste in barrels that rusted. It seems the Atomic Energy Commission was involved in the handling of the waste after it was shipped out. I don't believe the Army Corps were not responsible for the production and subsequent storage of the waste.
I don't see mention of private industry contributing to the cleanup.

St. Louis's Scandalous Nuclear History

Locally, it isn't the government that produced and dumped the "forever chemicals" found in well water in Oakdale, MN. One cannot always lay blame easily. In stating this fact, I refer to a blanket statement made in one post:

"Sounds like a tough deal for the residents, but as you look at both sides of the equation, the owner is paying taxes to a government that is relentless. On top of that the area is being allowed to be ruined by crime, by that same government."

To you this situation is something you just read about on a piece of glass. I just happen to live here, but continue on with your teaching…
Look up Ferguson riots, I was also there-google will tell you many stories, pick the one you like.

That fact is Escape is a business, always has been. If Reece was so dead set on everything remaining Mayberry he would still be the owner. It’s very childlike to not be able to handle this.
Old 10-20-2022, 09:07 AM   #30

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
I appreciate this is a big request, so as a token of our appreciation we will enter everyone who participates into a draw for a chance to win one of ten $300 gift cards or gifts of similar value.

What warranty issue did you have that you feel wasn't properly resolved by Escape?
You are baiting me. I gather you haven't read the two-dozen or so threads about Escape warranty issues?

Rossue in post #11 wrote: "If one has only been around since 2021 then they are probably unaware of the policies that have been bad for buyers and owners. The first was deleting after sale service. For many things- especially warranty items- ETI is much better equipped to resolve the issue. Of course one has to be somewhat proximate to ETI for this to make sense, however we purposely planned a trip up to B.C. just prior to our warranty expiring to have a punch list taken care of."
Old 10-20-2022, 09:08 AM   #31

You're right; Senior brain fart.
Old 10-20-2022, 09:26 AM   #32

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
You are baiting me. I gather you haven't read the two-dozen or so threads about Escape warranty issues?

Rossue in post #11 wrote: "If one has only been around since 2021 then they are probably unaware of the policies that have been bad for buyers and owners. The first was deleting after sale service. For many things- especially warranty items- ETI is much better equipped to resolve the issue. Of course one has to be somewhat proximate to ETI for this to make sense, however we purposely planned a trip up to B.C. just prior to our warranty expiring to have a punch list taken care of."
As I replied to Rossue in post #28.

'I think you're confused.

Escape did not eliminate doing warranty service at the factory. They deleted doing after sales install of options.

If your trailer has a defect that Escape would be responsible for repair to my knowledge you can, and several people have taken it to the Escape factory and get it fixed.

However, if you decide you did want an air conditioner, solar, inverter, front box, etc, but, didn't get it originally equipped from Escape isn't going to put one in for you at the factory.'

Click image for larger version

Name:	confused.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	65460
Old 10-20-2022, 10:06 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
"After sale service"? In British Columbia? How about the rest of Escape owners scattered over the continent? Clearly Escape, like others in the factory-sales business, will reimburse customers for warranty service in approved facilities where customers live.
You are in a dream mode. The problem with the gray water tank (which still persists) is a joke how Escape handled it. I remember 2 years ago when I reported the issue to the service manager, Dustin. He said something to the effect that: 'I was the first person to report that there was a leak.' Yeah. The solution: Take the trailer to an RV dealership. Have them provide you with a written estimate of the repair cost. Send me a copy. I'll take the estimate to management. A decision will be made about whether or not to approve the cost of the repair. Pursuant to our approval get the leak repaired. Pay for the repair. Send us a bill. You will be reimbursed for the cost. What a great way to deal with warranty issues.

Quote:
My impression is that Karl is making an effort to keep Escape owners and prospective buyers up-to-date with his video newsletters. The personal connection is valuable even to second-hand buyers, like me. I never saw anything like that from Casita.
Good to hear someone has bonded with the new ownership.
Old 10-20-2022, 10:39 AM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
You are in a dream mode. The problem with the gray water tank (which still persists) is a joke how Escape handled it. I remember 2 years ago when I reported the issue to the service manager, Dustin. He said something to the effect that: 'I was the first person to report that there was a leak.' Yeah. The solution: Take the trailer to an RV dealership. Have them provide you with a written estimate of the repair cost. Send me a copy. I'll take the estimate to management. A decision will be made about whether or not to approve the cost of the repair. Pursuant to our approval get the leak repaired. Pay for the repair. Send us a bill. You will be reimbursed for the cost. What a great way to deal with warranty issues.
So let's suppose you are manufacturing limited numbers of specialized vehicles at a small factory and selling them to customers all over North America, direct from the factory. You have no dealers. You have a two-year warranty on the basic vehicle and its original (not third-party) systems. How would you deal with distant warranty questions and repairs?

One way I suppose is to develop relationships with dealers of major brands near major cities, and allow their shops to make warranty decisions and repairs and bill you. But most of these dealers have never heard of you, and are generally overburdened already with repairs on mass-produced vehicles. Perhaps you could contract with small, independent auto, trailer, or other shops (boats?), and call them 'Authorized Service Centers'. But you know the volume for each would be vanishingly small, so it would be hard to keep them interested or even remember that you had a relationship. They'll want to bill the customer directly.

Seems to me that the procedure you outlined above is about the only way a company like Escape can handle warranty issues outside of its immediate factory area. I'm pretty sure Casita worked just the same way; fortunately, we didn't have any problems with ours that I couldn't handle myself (and it was out of warranty anyway). If you've got a better idea, why don't you propose it to ETI?
Old 10-20-2022, 11:15 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
So let's suppose you are manufacturing limited numbers of specialized vehicles at a small factory and selling them to customers all over North America, direct from the factory. You have no dealers. You have a two-year warranty on the basic vehicle and its original (not third-party) systems. How would you deal with distant warranty questions and repairs?
I'd talk straight to the prospective buyer. I'd ask them if they are handy with tools and problem solving. I'd tell them that once they leave the facility for all practical purposes, they are on their own. I may not like hearing that, but I do respect frank talk.

Quote:
One way I suppose is to develop relationships with dealers of major brands near major cities, and allow their shops to make warranty decisions and repairs and bill you. But most of these dealers have never heard of you, and are generally overburdened already with repairs on mass-produced vehicles. Perhaps you could contract with small, independent auto, trailer, or other shops (boats?), and call them 'Authorized Service Centers'. But you know the volume for each would be vanishingly small, so it would be hard to keep them interested or even remember that you had a relationship. They'll want to bill the customer directly.
This has been rehashed many times. Regarding the famous gray water tank issue, I got an email from Escape about 1.5 years ago. They told me to contact 'ABC' RV Sales and Service located about 25 miles north of Lancaster. Talked to So and So about setting up an appointment to fix the leak. That Escape had arranged to pay for the repair. 'Too good to be true'! I thought. I called 'ABC'. Talked to So and So. He had never heard of Escape Trailer Industries before. Moreover he said they only service the stuff that they sell.

I fixed the leak myself. Like you, I'm self-qualified to fix things. Until I screw something up. Then I called one of my friends who work in the Trades.

Quote:
Seems to me that the procedure you outlined above is about the only way a company like Escape can handle warranty issues outside of its immediate factory area. I'm pretty sure Casita worked just the same way; fortunately, we didn't have any problems with ours that I couldn't handle myself (and it was out of warranty anyway). If you've got a better idea, why don't you propose it to ETI?
Their "procedure" is for the most part broken. There isn't one RV dealership within 60 miles that I am aware of who will touch my trailer. Actually, there isn't on RV dealership within 60 miles that I'd want to mess with my trailer. I do agree with you about one thing: fixing problems yourself as they crop up is the best solution. Even if it potentially voids the warranty.
Old 10-20-2022, 11:33 AM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
I think you're confused.

However, if you decide you did want an air conditioner, solar, inverter, front box, etc, but, didn't get it originally equipped from Escape isn't going to put one in for you at the factory.
That's correct and I remember being at a rally in 2014, a long time before ETI changed hands. I, and several other folks, were surprised that a women with another brand of trailer was able to take it to ETI for service work. That had begun in Reace's leaner days when he undertook any work that brought bucks in.

At the same time in 2014 the Escape popularity was quickly increasing, expansion was becoming an obvious requirement and work outside of manufacturing was ending. People want to use it in their arsenal of items to slag ETI with, OK, I understand that, some folks have other issues and need to vent and spew, but it's a moot point as there's a first rate RV service place mere minutes from ETI.

Ron
Old 10-20-2022, 12:47 PM   #37

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I figured since I bought factory direct, there wouldn’t be much warranty, and chose to buy anyway. While far from perfect, the construction in these trailers is way above the industry practice. I know local dealers typically don’t service what they don’t sell. There are two mobile techs within about 50 miles of me I can take my trailer to for service. They don’t sell RV’s, so will fix whatever. I’ve never used them, as generally, I just fix stuff. If I don’t know how, I learn how. Nothing covered by the ETI warranty has needed attention in the year and 130 nights on the trailer. The fridge install was not great, but that was not warranty for ETI, just poor workmanship, but not worse than any other RV I have owned.
Old 10-20-2022, 04:14 PM   #38

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
If you click the link, read the text on the webpage, and watch the video on that page methinks your questions will be answered.

Participation is voluntary. ETI doesn't "need" your info, they would "like" it to make things a bit easier for them. Personally, I'm not comfortable providing the requested documentation to ETI, so haven't, but that's just me .... YMMV, no worries.
Just to be clear about my own choice given the direction(s) this thread has taken ...
  • I hold no animus for ETI; they provided me an RV, warts and all, which I'm very thankful to have
  • I have some appreciation for the tax bureaucracy challenges ETI likely faces with some states
  • I gladly answered the questions on ETI's survey linked in the first post of this thread (even knowing there was "nothing in it for me")
All of that notwithstanding I elected to not provide ETI with a copy of the requested document 'proving' I complied with my state's tax regulations simply because (though I know the info on that document is likely public record and widely accessible to many) I am not comfortable providing that document containing certain personal information to any party lacking a strict 'need to know' and when I have no 'say' about how that party may distribute or represent that document.

I don't presume nefarious intent, I don't presume improper handling or misrepresentation, I'm just not comfortable with releasing that particular document myself for use beyond my care and control. I'm willing to help ETI, even when there's "nothing in it for me" directly, but there are limits.

Again, YMMV, no worries.
Old 10-20-2022, 06:01 PM   #39

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Thank you, Centex. Your steadfast civility, along with your abundance of always helpful and valuable information, are why we so appreciate your contributions to this board. Cheers!
Old 10-20-2022, 09:35 PM   #40

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
To you this situation is something you just read about on a piece of glass. I just happen to live here, but continue on with your teaching…
Look up Ferguson riots, I was also there-google will tell you many stories, pick the one you like.

That fact is Escape is a business, always has been. If Reece was so dead set on everything remaining Mayberry he would still be the owner. It’s very childlike to not be able to handle this.
Credible research extends beyond the search engines. It is helpful to consider different perspectives and weigh others' thoughts and opinions without reacting bluntly. I'd rather not make rash statements nor harsh assumptions. It is not my intention to teach but I have learned much from this forum. There is a wealth of solid advice and good will to be found here. It is a community that many of us appreciate.

From my perspective, the government is not perfect nor is free enterprise, yet you seem to form strong personal and political opinions about both of these topics and others. You certainly don't hesitate to voice your opinions on this forum. Do you consider them helpful? In regards to your latest contribution, I ask you: is there some value in labeling others' opinions as childlike? I don't understand the Mayberry allusion. Has Reace ever claimed to be Sheriff Andy? I so appreciate the contributions made by many members of this forum including Alan (Centex), Ron in BC, HabberDabber, Iowa Dave and many others. I've used their suggestions with great results. I concur with YakRV's statement wholeheartedly - very well put. "Steadfast civility" is an admirable trait!
Closed Thread