Frig, surge powercord, insurance questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Frig, surge powercord, insurance questions

Hi,

Gathering information here

During the time between when a trailer is finished and it is picked up does the new owner need to have insurance on the trailer?

Someone mentioned in a recent post that the larger frig makes a humming sound. I'd thought the refrigerator was silent -- we had a dometic in our airtream and never heard it.

I'm trying to understand the advantage to having a removable power cord and whether the surge protector is really necessary. I read somewhere that the power cord is too close to the stinky slinky?

Thanks -- this forum has been amazing for information.
Ruth
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Hi Ruth
Greetings from Chilliwack.
I got the removable power cord mostly for two reasons: I did not like having an open hole directly into the trailer; and I wanted to be able to put a wet, dirty cord somewhere I could clean and dry it at a more convenient time than breaking camp. Plus-I thought it was more cool.

Enjoy your new trailer

Dick
Old 08-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #3

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
Hi,

Gathering information here

During the time between when a trailer is finished and it is picked up does the new owner need to have insurance on the trailer?

Ruth
Ruth,
You should certainly check with Tammy on this. But the odds are that your trailer is insured by Escape until you take possession. Check to be sure....
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Until you take delivery, either here or at the factory, it is not yours. Something happens in transit, the shipper will be responsible. That said you may have to provide insurance before hand if you want to get tags and go pick it up. Check with your tag/title as to when you need proof of insurance, either way until it leaves the factory, it is not yours.
The removable cord is enables you to close another hole in your trailer, if you do not mind letting in some air or insects while hooked up, then save yourself the money. On the other hand, you will always have your cord with you. I have left mine at home but managed with an extension cord and an adapter.
The EMS is like insurance, it protects all your electronic gear and a/c and converter from miss wiring issues, electrical and storm surges. If you like riding around without your seat belt buckled, it may not be for you. In other words some people may not see the need for it. In the summer some cg suffer from brownouts due to a/c demand lowering the cg power below 110v, operating your a/c in that situation may harm it. The EMS will not allow this harm to occur.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 17
The EMS also has a manual over ride which i think vermilye has used on a low power campground.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #6

Which you do not want to do, that eliminates the benefit. Using a generator you will need to over ride, but if there is a fault, you need to disconnect, not over ride.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #7

Jim, Just so you know -- the most daring thing i do with my seat belt is check my mail at the foot of my 600' driveway and leave the seatbelt off for the ride up the hill. I think when we finally go for the 19 we'll get the surge protection.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #8

That is wise....also good to know....
Old 08-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Actually, if you are only running resistance devices there is no problem using the bypass. You do not want to use it for things like the AC or microwave, but making a pot of coffee is just going to take longer; it will not cause any damage.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #10

Jon,
when you say bypass, what are you bypassing? faulty wiring, under voltage , over voltage, what error message is displayed that would seem it is okay to make coffee?
Old 08-04-2013, 11:41 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We thought we wanted a detachable cord but do not have one. No problem. We hold the cord in one hand with a towel on it in the other and run the towel down it as we put it away. We use a soft caulk at the opening to keep bugs out when in use. We also have an extension which we have had to use quite a few times.

A surge protector is not the EMS that some owners have. The EMS protects against a lack of power as when everyone is using the A/C but the campground can't handle it. That situation will ruin your A/C without an EMS. The EMS also has surge protection.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:13 AM   #12

You are correct, EMS or Electrical Monitoring System protects against several potential issues, surges, spikes, over/under voltage, mis-wiring of cg pedestals. A surge/spike protector only protects one of these potential problems, thus they are less expensive- $80 vs $230. You get what you pay for , so to speak. You can get portable EMS systems that you plug into the pedestal and then plug your trailer into it as well as portable surge/spike units. The factory EMS is permanently installed inside by the converter.
The detachable cord is a personal preference, either one is perfectly fine, and both function the same whereas EMS and surge protection are somewhat different.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #13

Meanwhile, no one has said whether the refrigerator hums? Or if there are any difficulties with the larger refrigerator?
Old 08-05-2013, 07:43 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
Meanwhile, no one has said whether the refrigerator hums? Or if there are any difficulties with the larger refrigerator?
Hi: Ruthe... Can't say about the new fridges, but they are digitally controlled, I believe.
As for humming that might be better than singing!!!. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:49 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
The only time I use the bypass is for low voltage, and then only if I'm using devices that are not damaged by low voltage - that is resistance heating appliances.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 15B
Like FloatingCloud, we wipe ours the same way.
JimJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
We have the new 6.7 cu foot fridge and love it. It is completely silent...no humming whatsoever.

Lisa
FamilyFun is offline   Reply With Quote