Front bike rack question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2021, 06:27 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 5.0 2021
Front bike rack question

Hey everyone!
I have a GMC Canyon, towing the 5.0. My current bike rack is not rated to be on a trailer/ 5th wheel. I have 2 electric bikes that weigh 57lbs each with no battery in. Because of the rack weight limit I can’t carry the bikes on the back of the trailer, all racks with my bikes exceed 150lbs.
My question is, would a front rack on the truck work? Does anyone do this? I’m not strong enough to put them on the roof of my truck.
So either I do a front of truck bike rack, or I put them inside the trailer which I don’t want to do every time. Lowering that table alone is a pain (unless I’m doing something wrong) to lay a bike on.
Anyone have suggestions?
Thanks!
Shiloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:48 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I added a front receiver to my truck for a portable Warn winch, and eventually built a diamond plate aluminum box for carrying a generator. Worked super! Bikes should be good to go since you'll have full suspension damping up front.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Are you thinking of using a front-bike rack while towing a 5.0? How would that work?

If it is a bumper pull, I can see that. We have bought Thule Insta Gater Pro which sit in the truck bed. But they would not be an option while towing a 5.0.

https://www.thule.com/en-us/bike-rac...r-pro-_-501501
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:35 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Are you thinking of using a front-bike rack while towing a 5.0? How would that work?

If it is a bumper pull, I can see that. We have bought Thule Insta Gater Pro which sit in the truck bed. But they would not be an option while towing a 5.0.

https://www.thule.com/en-us/bike-rac...r-pro-_-501501
Front receiver sits just below the front license plate. Plug the rack in there; the bikes ride just ahead of the truck grille.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 03-31-2021, 07:45 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Front receiver sits just below the front license plate. Plug the rack in there; the bikes ride just ahead of the truck grille.
I did not know that this type of rack exists! Thanks!
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:23 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
I did not know that this type of rack exists! Thanks!
Not a rack. It's a front receiver that you plug a rack into - same as the rear receiver for a stinger to tow a trailer.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 03-31-2021, 10:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Bugs

Not sure where you travel but bugs can be a nightmare to clean off.
On one of our trips I took this photo. The amazing thing about the photo is that the night before the bugs were 10 x worse before the wasps ate most of the big bits.
Attached Thumbnails
AAFDF338-BA5C-4966-9135-38FCAC314351.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:23 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
It has been discussed before but I personally think the hitch on the rear can hold a bit more than 150lbs so you should be fine. Just try and keep the bikes as close to the trailer as possible. For every inch the bikes are way from the trailer the more stress you are applying to the hitch. (I am sure there are bike racks sticking way the rear that fall within the 150 lbs but are applying more stress on the hitch than a 200 lb load close to the rear of the trailer would.)

However...and it is a big however...you must make sure you are maintaining at least 10 to 12 percent of your trailer weight on the tongue. Otherwise your trailer will be tail heavy and sway to and fro down the hwy.

I don’t think the limit was set because it was going to bend or break the hitch. I think it was set to 150 lbs as it was easier than relying on people setting up the weight of their trailer correctly.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:37 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
I have the same question so I’m following this intently. Our current plan is to get one electric bike and place it on the bike rack. If we choose to get a second electric bike it will most likely be a folding version that can go in the back seat of the truck, in the trailer or on the back in the rack. This gives us lots of options.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 04:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 " June Bug"
I posted a similar question on the facebook group and there were some helpful answers. The one that seemed most feasible was reinforcing the receiver hitch that takes the bike rack to receive more weight. It's a welding job so we have to find someone who knows what they are doing since not in our wheelhouse. My husband called escape and they said they would not go more then 150. we have a one up bike rack which is about 47 pounds. Never thought of putting bikes in trailer.....maybe one on rack and one in trailer
crnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 04:33 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
My question is, would a front rack on the truck work?!
Sure... in daytime, assuming that you don't need your daytime running lights or turn signals to be properly visible.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:00 PM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
On one of our trips I took this photo. The amazing thing about the photo is that the night before the bugs were 10 x worse before the wasps ate most of the big bits.
This is a photo of the front of our Sprinter taken at Graham Island State Park in North Dakota on our way back from picking up our Escape 19 in Sumas, WA last September.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sprinter bugs.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	54667

It was a grass hopper massacre.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:31 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Front mounted balls are great for maneuvering your trailer into tight places with little clearances....
Old 04-01-2021, 07:25 PM   #14

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
It has been discussed before but I personally think the hitch on the rear can hold a bit more than 150lbs so you should be fine. Just try and keep the bikes as close to the trailer as possible. For every inch the bikes are way from the trailer the more stress you are applying to the hitch. (I am sure there are bike racks sticking way the rear that fall within the 150 lbs but are applying more stress on the hitch than a 200 lb load close to the rear of the trailer would.)

However...and it is a big however...you must make sure you are maintaining at least 10 to 12 percent of your trailer weight on the tongue. Otherwise your trailer will be tail heavy and sway to and fro down the hwy.

I don’t think the limit was set because it was going to bend or break the hitch. I think it was set to 150 lbs as it was easier than relying on people setting up the weight of their trailer correctly.
This has been mentioned in previous threads on this subject - if one of the issues is the potential overweighting of the rear end of the trailer, one could move the entire spare tire to the front underneath the trailer or some have mounted them on the kingpin box; in both cases you're removing about 40 lbs?? off the back and adding it to the pin weight; would this help to carry more weight on the rear hitch?
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:49 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Front mounted balls are great for maneuvering your trailer into tight places with little clearances....

Sure. IF you can see around the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
front hitch.jpg  
Old 04-02-2021, 05:54 AM   #16

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Sure. IF you can see around the trailer.
I don't see any maneuvering going on in that photo.

It may be easier to use mirrors when you are going straight back into a tight space. But, if you don't have a straight shot into your parking space, a front hitch makes it much easier to maneuver into it.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 10:03 AM   #17

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
I love your bug guard. Did you mike it out of PVC pipe? I would love more info.
Old 09-02-2023, 12:05 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp 19, Tradewinds 24, Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by crnelson View Post
I posted a similar question on the facebook group and there were some helpful answers. The one that seemed most feasible was reinforcing the receiver hitch that takes the bike rack to receive more weight. It's a welding job so we have to find someone who knows what they are doing since not in our wheelhouse. My husband called escape and they said they would not go more then 150. we have a one up bike rack which is about 47 pounds. Never thought of putting bikes in trailer.....maybe one on rack and one in trailer
I asked my welder to reinforce ours and he said that it should be good for much more than 150 lbs without reinforcing. He reiterated the tongue weight issue as the likely reason for the limit. Seems reasonable. Haven’t tried it out with the rack and both bikes, yet.
Keith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 07:54 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 escape 19
I installed a Curt receiver on the front of our 2017 F150. We have a 1-up heavy duty carrier for our E bikes,48 lbs. each. Works well for us.
LDRay is offline   Reply With Quote