Front trailer box—any other options? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2019, 07:21 PM   #1

Trailer: Cycle Kamp motorcycle trailer
Front trailer box—any other options?

Build list on my 19 due May 17–trying to extract as much info as I can from Forum members. If you do not get the $700 front storage box that encloses the batteries in the front does Escape supply a cover for the batteries similar to the cover for the propane tanks? I will be installing an e2 hwd/antisway bars on the trailer and I noticed that the bars can interfere with the storage box on some applications. Considering using a lightweight hitch receiver box to help load the back end of trailer if needed(up to the recommended 150 lbs. total weight on the rear receiver).
Does this make any sense? Or is it just a given that one always has the front storage box? I know it also acts as a rock guard, but are there other alternatives? Thanks!
Karmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Get the box- it is about 24% off for you isn't it? They used to put the batteries under a dinette bench. If ordering a 19 I would ask if that is still possible to free up space in the box- yet even if not the box rocks!
Old 04-29-2019, 08:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Get the box and the batteries, in the words of a man much wiser than me, “you need plenty of weight on the front end of those 19’s. I had 420 lbs tongue weight on ours. Towed very well. I did have the standard Pro Tow hitch however, and there was no interference. 3640 lbs. was trailer weight ready to camp. YMMV
Iowa Dave
Old 04-29-2019, 08:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
His MWV- the Gen2 19 gained more weight than any other Gen1-Gen2 trailer. About 450# more. Not really good for that Lexus 450h I saw a camper towing his Gen1 19 with despite it's 3500# tow limit. Wonder if that is why he sold it recently.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmantra View Post
Does this make any sense? Or is it just a given that one always has the front storage box? I know it also acts as a rock guard, but are there other alternatives?
You could always fabricate your own. Several of us have. My Gen1 19 came with one battery in a battery box exposed behind the propane tanks. Don't know if that's still the case.

My box maximizes the space and contains two 12 volt batteries as well as all my ground tackle. I made alcoves to accommodate the WD hooks. This gives more interior volume.

Personally, I couldn't do without a front tongue box.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
28-04-2014 5-19-26 PM11_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 12:08 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Get the box & 6 volt batteries you will never regret the purchase. Wheel chocks, fresh water hose, Jack & star tire iron, sewer hose fittings & 20’ portable solar wires all fit in there with a little more room left over for light weight what have yahs.
Gasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:18 AM   #7
Red

Trailer: 2018 19 ft Escape
Quote:
Build list on my 19 due May 17–trying to extract as much info as I can from Forum members. If you do not get the $700 front storage box that encloses the batteries in the front does Escape supply a cover for the batteries similar to the cover for the propane tanks? I will be installing an e2 hwd/antisway bars on the trailer and I noticed that the bars can interfere with the storage box on some applications. Considering using a lightweight hitch receiver box to help load the back end of trailer if needed(up to the recommended 150 lbs. total weight on the rear receiver).
Does this make any sense? Or is it just a given that one always has the front storage box? I know it also acts as a rock guard, but are there other alternatives? Thanks!
I just came back from Tulalip Washington today. I was pulling my 2018 19 ft. with an E2 hitch and a front mounted storage box. The wind was very strong through the Skagit valley and in spite of the heavy truck traffic on I5 my rig was rock steady at 60-70 MPH. I could feel the cross wind but the trailer was not moving and I didn't need to correct with steering. My hitch does not interfere with the storage box. Both were installed by Escape Industries. I have the twin six volt batteries installed inside the storage box. They put the batteries in the center of the box and put a plywood cover over the top that is firmly mounted. I put an amazing amount of cables, hoses, chocks, gloves and exterior use items in that box. I can still access the batteries to hook up my portable solar panel. The box is dry sealed and lockable and easy to get at. The only downside to the storage box is that it is limited to 100 lbs and the fiber glass is too fragile to put the E2 hitch in when parked. I priced the E2 hitch at camping world as I thought the Escape price was too high. They were very similar and Escape did a great job setting it up to my tow vehicle. My rig is level front to back with good tongue weight.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:04 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, get both from Escape, they are experts in setting up their equalizer hitch with the front box and the front box is indispensable and you want weight on the front, not rear.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:03 AM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
If you do not get the $700 front storage box that encloses the batteries in the front does Escape supply a cover for the batteries similar to the cover for the propane tanks?
If you do not get the storage box, the battery comes in a common small battery box (or two boxes for two batteries).

Quote:
I will be installing an e2 hwd/antisway bars on the trailer and I noticed that the bars can interfere with the storage box on some applications. Considering using a lightweight hitch receiver box to help load the back end of trailer if needed(up to the recommended 150 lbs. total weight on the rear receiver).
Does this make any sense? Or is it just a given that one always has the front storage box?
The optional front box didn't even exist for at least the first few years of Escape production, and most similar trailers of other brands don't even offer a similar box. Although it is a popular option, it's not required.

If you insist on carrying more stuff than fits in the trailer, and use a rear cargo box instead of one on the front, there are some potential issues.
  • Any mass hung at the extreme back of the trailer will reduce towing stability.
  • If it is low enough, a rear box or carrier can drag on the ground when driving through dips (such as driveway entrances).
  • Any rear box or carrier will likely block access to the spare tire.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:26 AM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I think the front storage box makes up for only one standard side storage hatch being installed by ETI from the factory...but at a price. I can see if you are living full time in your trailer that it would be a must have...but

Another option.

If you are just a weekend camper, you can get ETI to put in another side hatch way cheaper to hold more of that exterior type stuff.

Only one hatch and the price of the front storage box was not appealing to me so I installed 3 more side hatches for $45 each. I hate digging under cushions.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:35 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
If you don't get the big box this is what you get. (My two 6 v. batteries inside battery boxes.)
Attached Thumbnails
Coast031.jpg  
Old 05-02-2019, 02:06 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Good grief Myron, I hope that's a photo of how your trailer came from the factory and that you haven't done away with your custom tongue box.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:10 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Not to worry - never happen. That pix shot in Olympic NP a mere several+days days after we first took ownership.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:56 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
One thing I really like that was added to our trailer was a big aluminum storage box on the front, the propane tanks are inside of it and still LOTS of room to put other things. The person I bought the trailer from said it cost $750.00, so your not saving money over the Escape box but this box holds way more and since its not fiberglass don't have to worry to much about what I put in it, we put everything in it.
Holds the tanks, 4 HD plastic storage boxes, boards for all kinds of stuff, our ground cover, water hose power cord and a few other things. We love our box .

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
One thing I really like that was added to our trailer was a big aluminum storage box on the front, the propane tanks are inside of it and still LOTS of room to put other things. The person I bought the trailer from said it cost $750.00, so your not saving money over the Escape box but this box holds way more and since its not fiberglass don't have to worry to much about what I put in it, we put everything in it.
Holds the tanks, 4 HD plastic storage boxes, boards for all kinds of stuff, our ground cover, water hose power cord and a few other things. We love our box .

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
What is your tongue weight with all that up front?
Old 05-03-2019, 06:27 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
CP,
Not really sure, but would guess 400 lbs. The storage containers are the smaller 12 gallon ones and really nothing in them heavy but nice to have different containers to divide things into. Like ext.cords, electrical things in one, road hazard stuff in another, extra stinky slinky in one and one I think is empty.
I do not tow with a WDH and really don't think I need one, I would say towed the trailer about 3,000 miles and really love the way it tows.

I do have a question about tongue weight, exactly what is it? Is that anything in front of the front axle? Or is it just weight on the front part of the trailer and the how far back would you calculate that?

I do plan to make one of the homemade scales to measure it. We don't carry much now when we camp because our trips are only 3-4 nights but know when we start going on longer trips and we take more things weight will be come more of a factor.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:42 AM   #17

If you are coming to the rally I will have my Sherline scale. Tongue weight combined with axle weight is the total weight of your trailer. It is the weight transferred from your trailer to your tow vehicle and becomes part of what the tow vehicle's carrying capacity limit. Tongue weight is needed to prevent sway but too much can impact your tow vehicle, so it is a constant delicate balancing act between the tow and the trailer.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:03 AM   #18

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
I do not tow with a WDH and really don't think I need one, I would say towed the trailer about 3,000 miles and really love the way it tows.

I do have a question about tongue weight, exactly what is it? Is that anything in front of the front axle? Or is it just weight on the front part of the trailer and the how far back would you calculate that?

I do plan to make one of the homemade scales to measure it. We don't carry much now when we camp because our trips are only 3-4 nights but know when we start going on longer trips and we take more things weight will be come more of a factor.
Steve: Since you do not use a WDH you might consider one of these (can't be used with one) to get a good idea of your tongue weight. They are expensive and I wish the scale had a bit better resolution for our range. I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Ball/...hoCwq8QAvD_BwE
Old 05-03-2019, 08:29 AM   #19

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If you insist on carrying more stuff than fits in the trailer, and use a rear cargo box instead of one on the front, there are some potential issues.
  • Any mass hung at the extreme back of the trailer will reduce towing stability.
  • If it is low enough, a rear box or carrier can drag on the ground when driving through dips (such as driveway entrances).
  • Any rear box or carrier will likely block access to the spare tire.
We did the Stowaway box on the rear and I agree with what Brian has said. We kept it as close to the trailer rear as possible to reduce the lever effect which took some work. Have to be conscientious of effect on your tongue weight. We overcame the ground clearance issue by using a Blue Ox riser which lets it open above the tire and puts the box at a nice working height too. Had to move the spare tire over slightly to accommodate. It does block the spare tire, but it is not too difficult to remove the contents and the box to get to it in the rare instance it is needed. One other benefit to the rear box is that the Blue Ox riser and the box help protect the trailer if you were rear ended. Might not be an issue in your area, but I live in NJ. My wife and I have be rear ended a combined 5 or 6 times in the last 10 years.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post145597
Attached Thumbnails
stowaway2.JPG   blue ox riser.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2019, 09:11 AM   #20

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
We use the weight scale hitch set up comes handy when loading trailer for trips anyone welcome to use it at escape rally to ck their tongue weight
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote