Front Window Option on a 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2017, 12:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Front Window Option on a 21

I am having a hard time finding any photos of the front window option on a 21. ETI only shows 1 photo and that is from the outside. Our first thought when we ordered our 21 was to get the front window because "the more windows the better". But the more I think about it I don't really want to give up that shelf over the bed and from the outside I'm not sure what I think about how the window is off center (actually I am sure what I think about it. I don't like it being off center and yes I am OCD). I would like to see a photo or two from the inside to help in our decision process. We have decided to get the window in the bathroom for sure.
matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Matt, if it helps at all with the decision, we find with the side windows open and the MaxxFan on that we get plenty of ventilation on the bed, especially if you close most or all of the other windows.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
I am having a hard time finding any photos of the front window option on a 21. ETI only shows 1 photo and that is from the outside. Our first thought when we ordered our 21 was to get the front window because "the more windows the better". But the more I think about it I don't really want to give up that shelf over the bed and from the outside I'm not sure what I think about how the window is off center (actually I am sure what I think about it. I don't like it being off center and yes I am OCD). I would like to see a photo or two from the inside to help in our decision process. We have decided to get the window in the bathroom for sure.
Hi Matt

we do not have the front window on our 21'

as the other person posted - there is TONS of air moving thru - even with the new awning windows. we love those... no rain comes in ! and quieter then single pane sliders, plus they keep cold / heat out, and also no condensation.

single sliders in our previous egg were a pain. happy to have the awning thermals on our 21.

and.....

we dont need extra air at our heads, plus we dont want the light in the mornings,

i think very few get the front window... with good reasons.

many like the shelf there.

yes get the bathroom window, for sure!! oh yes. a must. Phew! ;-)

just our 2c

John
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Mary got a front window on her classic 21.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post205029

(pic from the inside). It looks way bigger than I remember seeing of another one.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We did not want the window up front. We also had the shelf omitted. We can sit back there and sit up straight and read. Very comfortable there as there is no window to sit against and no shelf in the way for sitting up. It depends upon what you plan to do and what you want. People are different.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:11 PM   #6

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
We have the front window and love it, but must state that comes from a couple that simply love having all the light possible in a room. The window is single pane and doesn't open. Sorry no inside photo.

You've given every reason why not to get the option so the simple answer, is don't get it. That's why its an option.

As many have stated in many other threads, the great thing about Escape Trailers is way you can make it your own.
Attached Thumbnails
20170531_162239a.jpg  
Old 11-02-2017, 02:33 PM   #7

The window is an option that can always be added, although you might be a good distance. Many have gone much farther for changes and maintenance to their Escapes by going back to the factory. So that is a possible consideration.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:56 PM   #8

Thank you all for your thoughts on this. I still have a few months to figure all this stuff out. With most of these options my wife and I are on the same page. The front window is a different story. She definitely wants it. I'm not so sure. I'll wait till she's had a few glasses of wine and bring up the front window option again. Maybe then she will see things my way.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:02 PM   #9

One advantage is that you can see out of the front side of the trailer. I am still hoping for a periscope set-up out of the bathroom vent.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:35 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Thank you all for your thoughts on this. I still have a few months to figure all this stuff out. With most of these options my wife and I are on the same page. The front window is a different story. She definitely wants it. I'm not so sure. I'll wait till she's had a few glasses of wine and bring up the front window option again. Maybe then she will see things my way.
Hi: matt... So you think she needs glasses?
My wife says I do cause I don't see things the way she does!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: matt... So you think she needs glasses?
My wife says I do cause I don't see things the way she does!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Yep you're right. That whole needing glasses thing does work both ways doesn't it. I seem to recall a time when we were sitting in our backyard listening to Irish music and Mary was nice enough to keep my glass full every time I emptied it. By the end of the evening I apparently agreed to take her to Ireland. Before I realized what I had done the flights and hotel rooms were booked

I probably should not drink anything as I work on my build sheet otherwise I just might just run with Float5's idea of the periscope out of the bathroom vent.
Matt
Old 11-03-2017, 03:51 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Yep you're right. That whole needing glasses thing does work both ways doesn't it. I seem to recall a time when we were sitting in our backyard listening to Irish music and Mary was nice enough to keep my glass full every time I emptied it. By the end of the evening I apparently agreed to take her to Ireland. Before I realized what I had done the flights and hotel rooms were booked
I haven't laughed this hard for days. Thank you so much for sharing the story! Oh my stars....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:13 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Spotted the other day.

My wife says I don't listen to her....

...or something like that.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:21 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Mary got a front window on her classic 21.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post205029

(pic from the inside). It looks way bigger than I remember seeing of another one.
If you look at my picture, you'll notice that not only is the window not centered on the outside, it's also not centered over the bed. Fortunately for me (us), I like a bit of asymmetry from time to time. Most people don't agree with me on that.

We do like the front window (and would get it again), especially if the weather's bad and we get chased indoors.

I must add that we have had some trouble with our rock shield holding water: the gasket fits very tight and covered the weep holes, apparently. I cut new channels in the gasket and the water drains better... but not before there was significant corrosion between the window and the rock shield, resulting in a broken handle.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:51 AM   #15

Trailer: 2016 escape trailer 21'
We have the front window. If we are camping in the same spot for extended time, we open it. However, if just an overnight we usually do not open it. Yes, the extra light is great as we like lots of light. Our one complaint is that this is not a thermal window, so there is condensation which we do not want at the head of the bed. We have read on the forum where someone cut reflectix & mounted it with double sided tape to the inside of the rock shield and that prevented condensation. However, we have not tried that as we don't want to use the double sided tape on it. Most people do not like the fact that the window is not centered in viewing the outside of the camper. We did choose to not have the escape lettering put on the front of our camper but when we picked it up at Chilliwack we changed our minds. Escape worked with us & we were able to trim just a tiny bit off the lettering to have it applied to the window & are pleased that we chose to have it done. Even if we did not have the window we would not want the shelf as we would find it a "head knocker". If anything, we would consider a small extension below the overhead cabinet there with just enough space for a book/glasses, etc. We also had 2 captain lights put in at the head of the bed & now wish that we had added more to that area.
whitepine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 12:13 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
GR, we do lower our rock shield at night, which we think helps the condensation issue. We don't latch it (unless we are leaving the next a.m.); just pull it down.

Another friend advised cutting some of the reflectix (or a windshield sunblocker) and putting it on the inside of the window, between the glass and the windowshade. If you cut it perfectly, it will stay put against the glass, without any adhesive.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:16 PM   #17

The lights at the head of the bed were standard when we ordered, as far as I know. Definitely like them.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:12 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Front Window Option on a 21

We thought we might miss the front window, but rarely do. In most camp sites the view out the front window would just be our truck or the road around the campground. The 3 large windows around the dinette are at the end with the great views, typically enjoyed over a meal or drink. The shelf over the head of the bed is great. We haven’t hit our heads on it in our 2.5 years using the trailer, but then I’m only 6 ft tall. A taller person might have issues.

Bob K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:37 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I skipped the front window in my 21, and don't miss it most of the time. No problem feeling "penned in", but when I hear something in front of the trailer, I sometimes wish I could look out without climbing out the door!
Old 11-06-2017, 08:50 PM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I skipped the front window in my 21, and don't miss it most of the time. No problem feeling "penned in", but when I hear something in front of the trailer, I sometimes wish I could look out without climbing out the door!
Kinda understand that. Really bothered me not having a front window when moving from my Scamp (layout 4, big front window) to a 5.0TA with NO way possible to have a window to see what's happening out the lower front of the trailer. Not a cheap or easy solution for me. But multiple solutions for those with a 21'... things from a front window to a camera. The camera also could work for builds like mine...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote