Front Window - To Be or Not To Be? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-21-2022, 07:05 AM   #41

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
Yes, that is the question for a 21C.

We are torn.
I have yet to open the front cover on the front window on our Escape 19 at a campsite.

Most of the time the front of the trailer is either facing our tow vehicle or at least the road.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 07:15 AM   #42

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You could paint it black
Painting it with black Plasti-dip spray would block the light for the late sleeper, yet be removable for resale, or if you changed your mind.

TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 01:00 PM   #43
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiger View Post
It's a reasonable question to ask why would I do that. Because I hate the sun in the morning. I enjoy sleeping in and I wake up when it's light. So by eliminating that it's one less source of light to awaken me in the morning.
Craiger, we found a quick and easy way to eliminate the morning sun - reflectix. https://www.amazon.com/REFLECTIX-BP2...85&sr=8-5&th=1 We slide in a piece of reflectix in front of every window at night. We cut each piece to be a couple inches larger than each window and they sit on the window nobs with the shades pulled down in front of them to secure them in place. In addition, if you put some in the door window and velcro some to the maxxfan opening, it will be pitch black inside, even on a bright sunny day. During the day, easy to store the reflectix behind the seat cushions or by/under the bed.

First time we tried it we were shocked. Could not believe we actually slept till 9AM - thought it was 6AM. This is definitely going to help us on our future trip to Alaska someday! We normally don't cover the maxxfan now, since we like to have it running but you could possibly replace the white maxxfan cover for a darker colored one to let in less light, possibly?

Not only does reflectix help eliminate the light but helps to insulate, too. We also like the reverse effect at night. Even with all the lights on inside the trailer at night, the windows look pitch black from the outside. No more shadowy silhouettes with the OEM shades.

As for the 21C front window option, we love ours! Every morning I go out and open it and at night we close it (and insulate the inside rock guard with....relfectix, of course!) Like Ron in BC, we like to sit in the dinette and enjoy the views in all 4 directions. We almost went with a 19, until we realized the 21C had a front window option. Bonus!! Our 2 cents. - Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 01:40 PM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post

This is definitely going to help us on our future trip to Alaska someday!
Don't want to rain on your parade but there's another problem with sleeping in Alaska in the middle of summer. First of all you have to want to get into bed and with the long duration of daylight it's like being a kid again and having to go to bed when it's still daylight outside.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 02:37 PM   #45
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Don't want to rain on your parade but there's another problem with sleeping in Alaska in the middle of summer. First of all you have to want to get into bed and with the long duration of daylight it's like being a kid again and having to go to bed when it's still daylight outside.

Ron
Haha! Yes, good point! Looking forward to this dilemma! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:26 PM   #46

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by diannelgraham View Post
I had the front window in my 19 and loved it. I opted not to get that option in my 21C because it’s off centered because of the bathroom. The fact that it’s not centered would drive me crazy. In my option the 21C has plenty of light without it especially if you get the window option above the drawer stack.
Funny thing, just last night my wife was watching the rerun episode of "Monk" wherein his therapist had no right hand, and the lack of symmetry was driving Monk crazy.
Old 03-21-2022, 09:29 PM   #47

Trailer: 2012 E19
About the decals, when it's time for my build maybe I should ask Escape how much discount it would be worth for them to have me driving around advertising their product's name. Otherwise, delete. After all, companies thrive on advertising!

Oh well, wishful thinking to have a discount.
Old 03-25-2022, 08:21 PM   #48

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Everyone camps differently. I never read bed and have only watched TV a few times. I like to listen to the radio or music and to do that I like to set outside or in the front seat of the Highlander and listen. My favorite camping after dark activity is to be in the screen room, listening to a nearby creek and forest sounds. Especially if the fish go in a feeding spree and are jumping, slurping up bugs and I crack a cold one and can pet my dog. This makes me sure I earned what I have after working 50 summers. I have a gift of being able to sleep about anywhere and go to sleep in just a few minutes at the end of the day.
Iowa Dave
Where is the LIKE button? Except that I tend to stay up later than I should, I'm the same way. I travel and camp to see and do things outside. I don't watch TV at home (though I have a TV in the workshop now and listen to Youtube videos that you don't need to look at much.

Charles
Old 03-25-2022, 08:34 PM   #49

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
Where is the LIKE button?

Charles

It's right here.
Old 03-25-2022, 09:33 PM   #50

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I let my dog out at about Midnight last night. It was 45 degrees with a SE wind at 15 mph. No stars, no moon. But way up high I could hear a huge flock of snow geese heading north. Their high pitched calling is a certain kind of music to me. And when I came inside I wondered, how do they navigate? Amazes me.

Thinking about going to Kellertom, Iowa in a couple weeks to see if I can see and hear the prairie chickens booming on their lek. Saw 3 wild turkeys displaying and in full strut yesterday while about 10 hens ignored them. Made me think I was in Junior high again.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-25-2022, 09:53 PM   #51

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I wondered, how do they navigate? Amazes me.
Iowa Dave
Apparently they can sleep and fly too. That's amazing.
Old 03-30-2022, 11:46 AM   #52

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21C
We put the front window in and love it. It’s nice to see what is going in front of your trailer. If you love it on your 19, I think you would miss it on your 21. If you still have the 19, leave the rock guard down and see how you feel about not seeing out the front. Because it’s centered over the bed, it looks fine inside the trailer. Personally, it doesn’t bother us that it’s off-Center on the exterior.
kltc52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 11:48 AM   #53

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
I like the shelf we get without the window. Parter's CPAP goes there. Also, I don't sleep if there is light.
pacificc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 12:12 PM   #54

Yes, to front window.

One thing I'm not sure anyone else mentioned is that having a front window, besides letting in a lot more light (more is much better if you are stuck inside at all) is that you often get the best view of your surroundings from a front window. This might not be that pertinent if your bed is at the front but it sure makes a difference if your table/eating area is at the front - especially in a back-in campsite.

One potential downside of a front window is that they can be a source of leaks (maybe a leading cause?) so attention must be kept on caulking etc.
bevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 01:15 PM   #55

Trailer: Escape 21 2019
Love the front window! Allows lots of light and pretty scenery!
Would not buy a trailer without windows on all sides.
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 01:24 PM   #56

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
Love the front window! Allows lots of light and pretty scenery!
Would not buy a trailer without windows on all sides.
Yes, I agree, 100%
Old 03-30-2022, 07:23 PM   #57

Trailer: 2022 Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE & RAM 2500
21C Front Window

I didn't get the window because I wanted the shelf over the bed.
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 09:45 PM   #58

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevans View Post

One potential downside of a front window is that they can be a source of leaks (maybe a leading cause?) so attention must be kept on caulking etc.
Why does a front window have any more potential for leaks than any other opening cut into the f.g. shell?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 10:50 PM   #59

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Why does a front window have any more potential for leaks than any other opening cut into the f.g. shell?

Ron

Directly facing 65 M.P.H winds / rain maybe.............?
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 11:20 PM   #60

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Ours is the number 6 Escape built in 2013. It’s criss crossed the USA several times. Encountered 60
MPH headwinds in rain and snow. When you get to where you’re going the window will be dry and clean, The rock guard protects it. Never leaked a drop through the front window. The only caveat on slider windows (not the front) is to keep the drains cleaned out so water can’t wick through to the other side. Dirt and bits of leaves and grass can plug the drains over time. A few minutes with the pipe
cleaner in one hand and a cold one in the other and you are “on inspections” as we used to say when I worked for the city and needed to drive around with the AC blasting. A stop at a Dairy Queen on a hot summer day, medium Reese’s pieces blizzard and off you go.

We installed window gutters on both the 19 and the 21 and they help immensely. Judicious inspection of rooftop “accessories” each spring has kept the top from leaking. We use Proflex caulk.

Escape installed an upgraded seal on the front box at no charge when we got solar installed after we bought it. Even though it had not leaked. Reace took care of us every time we needed anything. We had three bad rivets in the belly band but they never leaked. Reace replaced those too. No charge.
Iowa Dave