Furnace runs erratically - Help - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2020, 11:00 AM   #41

Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot FT-20
Just a thought, inspect your heater for mud dobbers in chimney. If exhaust is clean, try changing your propane tank out. If your have a oil contained tank. It will cause the flame �� too go out.
Again just thinking, won’t cost a thing.
Before buying a thermostat, twist the 2 wires together. If it still quits it’s not the thermostat.
Mszabokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 02:56 PM   #42

Trailer: 17 rpod
Furnace orifice/ gas supply
Garygailrow@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:42 PM   #43

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Thank you to everybody who has responded to my furnace woes. I called Dometic and they told me that the problem is the gas valve not being aligned correctly. I am not exactly sure what they are talking about. They told me to take it to a service center for repair and that it is still under warranty. It is next to impossible to find any service center That wants to service any warranty problems. One service center actually said that it is not worth their time due to the difficulty with dealing with Dometic. The second time I called Dometic I was finally able to talk to someone after an hour and 10 minutes. They went to look up information and put me on hold and after 10 minutes on hold they hung up. I am still working on the problem. The one thing I have learned so far is not to buy a Dometic product.
Big Sky Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 07:34 PM   #44

I'm a self employed RV tech,who use to do dometic warranty. No longer ,they don't pay enough.
The best way to diagnose ur issue is to partially block the outside vent with ur hand while its first trying to light, it's called choking. If the furnace stays lit u have a gas supply problem. Very small insects love the smell of hydrocarbons and will block ur orifice. Also if ur l.p. supply hoses have lost their flexibility and the plasticizer dries out it can flake off the inside of the hose and also clog orifice .
I don't at all get the that running diagnostics on these forums is the sail switch,I've maybe replaced 2 in 7 years.
The first thing I would do is check continuity on the gas valve both sides ,then clean out the orifice located at the burner, check for mud dauber (wasps) on the burner as well.
If u find daubers soak the area in vinegar because daubers release a fairmoan (sp) and they will return.
The new problem with dometic is that they are adhering to a strict flat rate schedule i.e. if they say a job takes 15 minutes to do, they pay u 15 minutes,well it takes an hour to get approval plus time to submit claim. Just not worth it.
Call dometic and complain. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:42 PM   #45

If anyone's else has issues i.m. me ...
Old 10-07-2020, 09:33 PM   #46

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Decent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garygailrow@gmail.com View Post
I'm a self employed RV tech,who use to do dometic warranty. No longer ,they don't pay enough.
The best way to diagnose ur issue is to partially block the outside vent with ur hand while its first trying to light, it's called choking. If the furnace stays lit u have a gas supply problem. Very small insects love the smell of hydrocarbons and will block ur orifice. Also if ur l.p. supply hoses have lost their flexibility and the plasticizer dries out it can flake off the inside of the hose and also clog orifice .
I don't at all get the that running diagnostics on these forums is the sail switch,I've maybe replaced 2 in 7 years.
The first thing I would do is check continuity on the gas valve both sides ,then clean out the orifice located at the burner, check for mud dauber (wasps) on the burner as well.
If u find daubers soak the area in vinegar because daubers release a fairmoan (sp) and they will return.
The new problem with dometic is that they are adhering to a strict flat rate schedule i.e. if they say a job takes 15 minutes to do, they pay u 15 minutes,well it takes an hour to get approval plus time to submit claim. Just not worth it.
Call dometic and complain. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.
What a decent offer and a thorough discussion of the furnace problems. Though I’ve not had problems, this man has my admiration and thanks.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-08-2020, 07:41 AM   #47

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Kudos to a forum member for offering to help others....................
Old 10-08-2020, 09:44 AM   #48

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300
No problem

No fan noise. No worry about gas leaks. No carbon monoxide. We use
Attached Thumbnails
Feature Comfort.jpg  
Old 10-08-2020, 10:47 AM   #49

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have installed one of these in every Escape I have owned. Quiet, no cords and very safe and no floor space is lost......500/750/1000 watt models. I use the 500 or 750 watt model.
https://www.amazon.com/Broan-170-Hea...f1&tag=mh0b-20
Attached Thumbnails
61ieZBfABFL._AC_SL1000_.jpg  
Old 10-08-2020, 11:22 AM   #50

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Like Big Sky Camper I have similar issues with my furnace. I have a properly operating furnace one day and then the next it is a furnace going through multiple ignition attempts without reaching successful burner operation. I also experience the furnace on with periodic clicking from furnace and sound not from thermostat. When I tried it the other day to start attempting a fix the furnace fired up and worked perfectly. I see Big Sky has a 2019 and mine is a 2017. Unfortunately my furnace is just the small vent and any trouble shooting will be removal.
I will replace thermostat to digital.
ChuckBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:29 AM   #51

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19' on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky Camper View Post
The clicking a tapping sound comes from the furnace not the thermostat. The burner may go on and off 4 times over a minute or may run for several minutes. Thanks
My furnace has a similar, same?, Issue. The clicking sound I hear is the propane solenoid. With the furnace running and the blower going I will hear three clicks. It's the solenoid turning off the propane, turning it back on, and then shutting it off again. This happens in rapid succession. The blower continues to run. After a while The furnace will fire up and produce heat again until the next round of click click click.
Onestep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 03:24 PM   #52
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
the clicking I hear from my furnace is the spark ignitor, the propane solenoid is a softer sound, nearly inaudible. each time it starts a heat cycle, the fan comes on and about 30 seconds later, I hear click-click-click and a soft phwump (gas igniting)
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 07:06 AM   #53

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
One more idea....I took out my sail switch and cleaned off the lint. Operation was still somewhat erratic. After reading the manual (which is rare for me to do) I tried one other thing. The "off/on" switch. In the box, a bit above the sail switch, is the furnace off/on switch. When I cleaned the sail switch, I must have inadvertently jostled that switch. It was in a sort of middle point....neither off nor on. I shut it off for a few minutes And then turned it on. Voila....problem solved. If only all problems could be solved so easily. But, of course, that may not be your issue, but I thought I'd put my own experience out there.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:51 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky Camper View Post
Thank you to everybody who has responded to my furnace woes. I called Dometic and they told me that the problem is the gas valve not being aligned correctly. I am not exactly sure what they are talking about. They told me to take it to a service center for repair and that it is still under warranty. It is next to impossible to find any service center That wants to service any warranty problems. One service center actually said that it is not worth their time due to the difficulty with dealing with Dometic. The second time I called Dometic I was finally able to talk to someone after an hour and 10 minutes. They went to look up information and put me on hold and after 10 minutes on hold they hung up. I am still working on the problem. The one thing I have learned so far is not to buy a Dometic product.
Did you sort out your furnace woes?
Old 03-31-2021, 01:39 PM   #55

Flame sense, maybe, I have more questions to ask to fully diagnose issue.....there is a" sequence of operation" that u can probably download
I'm an RV tech and dometic service center,on the cusp of retiring...
I no longer do dometic warranty because of their policies and procedure on reimbursement.
Old 03-31-2021, 03:25 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garygailrow@gmail.com View Post
Flame sense, maybe, I have more questions to ask to fully diagnose issue.....there is a" sequence of operation" that u can probably download
I'm an RV tech and dometic service center,on the cusp of retiring...
I no longer do dometic warranty because of their policies and procedure on reimbursement.
Gary,
My sail switch was clean and tested okay with ohm meter. I purchased a new one and replaced. I fired up furnace and everything was okay with ignition and running. I shut down and then next day tried again. This time it went from blower on then igniter clicking away with no ignition. Kept cycling every 30 seconds or so with igniter clicking away then stopping.

Today pulled furnace since mine is a 2017 with vent only to outside. I pulled sail switch and replaced with the 2nd spare I bought. Fired it up and now it's working again. Set thermostat for turning off with set temp reached and it turned off then fired right back up when temp dropped below room temp. Will let sit and try later.

For your info I have the Atwood AFSAD12121 with sail switch AF Series 31093. This is a square curved paddle type. For my 2017 furnace I noted unlike other designs mine has the sail switch going into blower compartment behind a plastic panel which has the exhaust vent exiting through it. Also it is mounted with 2 screws through a plastic molded piece that if you broke or overtightened screws you couldn't repair. I wonder if Atwood saw they had a problem with design and sail switch mounting and abandoned this model? Maybe sail paddle is problem prone?