Gas Hose Cracking - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2023, 05:47 PM   #1

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Gas Hose Cracking

Today while walking around our Escape I smelled gas so I pulled the tank covers and I noticed that the 2 short gas hoses that run from each 20 Lb cylinder to the crossover were severely cracked.

Our Escape is only just over 4 months old and I would have never expected these to be cracked so badly. Now I'm concerned about every gas hose on the trailer.

Please be sure to check yours before your Escape explodes.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg  
WillyB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 06:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
The hose that runs from the regulator doesn’t have or Shouldn’t have as much stress on it as the curved little ones off the tank, but I would check it too. I had one tank hose crack on our 21 this past summer and I had not changed them since we got the trailer used so they were at least 5 years old. I changed them on the 19 the year we sold it. One was cracked so I changed them all and the regulator just for the hell of it.

We have a 500 gallon propane tank at the house but it’s all solid copper. Still I keep my eye on it. When we moved here the copper came off the tank and right through the concrete pad then underground to the house. You could see the corrosion (green) on the concrete. The propane guy said he asked the original owner to sleeve the line and the second owner too. I told him they were both idiots with a death wish. I borrowed an SD hammer and an inch and a quarter masonry bit. Drilled a hole through the 7 inch thick pad the tank sets on. Then the propane driver brought out his makeup kit and I carefully dug the line up with my trapping shovel and he sleeved the line with a piece of thick wall plastic I had. All fixed now for 16 years. I don’t take chances with gas, electricity or high pressure water. I will climb a tree at 75 though if I have to. I can’t tell you the brand of lines I bought but i got a Marshal regulator.
Bout all you can do is complain and replace them. Doubt Escape will reimburse you . Surprise me Karl.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-05-2023, 07:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
The hose that runs from the regulator doesn’t have or Shouldn’t have as much stress on it as the curved little ones off the tank, but I would check it too. I had one tank hose crack on our 21 this past summer and I had not changed them since we got the trailer used so they were at least 5 years old. I changed them on the 19 the year we sold it. One was cracked so I changed them all and the regulator just for the hell of it.

We have a 500 gallon propane tank at the house but it’s all solid copper. Still I keep my eye on it. When we moved here the copper came off the tank and right through the concrete pad then underground to the house. You could see the corrosion (green) on the concrete. The propane guy said he asked the original owner to sleeve the line and the second owner too. I told him they were both idiots with a death wish. I borrowed an SD hammer and an inch and a quarter masonry bit. Drilled a hole through the 7 inch thick pad the tank sets on. Then the propane driver brought out his makeup kit and I carefully dug the line up with my trapping shovel and he sleeved the line with a piece of thick wall plastic I had. All fixed now for 16 years. I don’t take chances with gas, electricity or high pressure water. I will climb a tree at 75 though if I have to. I can’t tell you the brand of lines I bought but i got a Marshal regulator.
Bout all you can do is complain and replace them. Doubt Escape will reimburse you . Surprise me Karl.
Iowa Dave
The one thing about electricity is that you never see a home explode into toothpicks like you do with gas. They might catch fire but their never seems to be a zillion pick up sticks afterwards.

My gut says Escape will say I need to call the hose manufacturer for warranty issues.
Old 03-05-2023, 07:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Wow…That is not very long where ever you live and it is not like they were in the sun.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 07:50 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
Our pigtails also cracked like that on our 2019 after one year. They were always covered. The hoses did not leak. I think it’s just the outer skin that’s cracked.
I contacted Escape about it. They had the manufacturer of the hoses ship me a new set no charge.
Good luck, Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 08:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanark Camper View Post
Our pigtails also cracked like that on our 2019 after one year. They were always covered. The hoses did not leak. I think it’s just the outer skin that’s cracked.
I contacted Escape about it. They had the manufacturer of the hoses ship me a new set no charge.
Good luck, Bob
The manufactured date on the tag was Jan 29, 2022.

Hopefully they will cover them under warranty and ship them quickly as we are planning a little quick camp out this coming weekend.

If not I will buy some Made in America hoses from MB Sturgis who builds them right here in St. Louis, MO.
Old 03-05-2023, 08:19 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
In our case they were shipped by UPS overnight. The manufacturer is near Toronto. So far so good with the replacements. Maybe a bad batch of hose ?
Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 09:49 PM   #8

Trailer: 2022 E19
Yikes!

That is ridiculous...............and potentially dangerous......

Better check all the rest of them. All my propane hoses (9/2022 completion date) are "rubber". Great.............
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 10:43 PM   #9

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
The hoses in our 5.0 were ridiculously short and after a year were cracking from the bend being too tight, plus they were hard to twist on. I bought a set 6” longer and they were easy to twist on and were still in great shape when we sold the trailer last December.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 03-06-2023, 04:21 AM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
When I replaced my regulator that was having problems with the failover indicator not properly indicating which tank was pumping from, I got new pigtails. The first set I got from Amazon were some Chinese brand and they were junk I tossed them out. I got a set of Marshall excelsior made in USA ones and it's 5 years later and they're still in like new condition.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 05:26 AM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Definitely defective hose. That hose should last a minimum of 10 years. I would take the hoses to my local hose shop and have them copied. I had new hoses made for my custom double barbecue for $35. I expected $100 for custom.

Go to any shop that does hydraulic hoses and ask if they can do gas/propane.
Old 03-06-2023, 07:21 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We used to get all of our hydraulic hoses made custom at a local shop. They would make a single or two hoses while you waited. The prices were comparable or less than at some factory dealerships. The quality was better. In addition, if they made it, they stood behind it. While you waited, the pop machine was on free vend and the AC was cold outside of the work shop. It was one of the local businesses we were proud to support. Not the cheapest but no off shore components either.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-06-2023, 09:14 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Hard to really see; is that white Teflon tape where the cracked pigtail threads into the regulator? Should be yellow.
Old 03-06-2023, 09:52 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
That's pretty shocking. Never heard of a hose failing that fast. I've seen lots of cracked hoses but they weren't leaking. Yours was so that's even worse.

Any info on the label that points out where they were made?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 10:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
That's pretty shocking. Never heard of a hose failing that fast. I've seen lots of cracked hoses but they weren't leaking. Yours was so that's even worse.

Any info on the label that points out where they were made?

Ron
Fairview Ltd in Ontario but the Green head says Made in India. As I mentioned they were manufactured on January 29, 2022.
Old 03-06-2023, 11:28 AM   #16
Site Team

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BNEVT2

picture is misleading, they are 12" long which is a little longer than optimal, but the shortest one M-E makes.

This is the best dual tank regulator I've found
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KPR9Q30/
Old 03-06-2023, 11:39 AM   #17
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
When I replaced my regulator that was having problems with the failover indicator not properly indicating which tank was pumping from, I got new pigtails. The first set I got from Amazon were some Chinese brand and they were junk I tossed them out. I got a set of Marshall excelsior made in USA ones and it's 5 years later and they're still in like new condition.
When we replaced our faulty regulator we replaced the pigtails with stainless steal ones like these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09XGWTQPK...jaz10cnVl&th=1. You can also get them with a built-in gauge but we prefer the gauges that are built into the tank itself (more accurate). IMHO -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 11:57 AM   #18
Site Team

I actually ordered a set of the stainless ones, they were scrabble-branded Chinese, and very poor quality, so I returned them. The stainless mesh was purely cosmetic.

Marshall-Excelsior does have stainless pigtails made in USA, but they are 15" long, which is just too long for a double tank setup with the regulator between the tanks like ours.
Old 03-06-2023, 01:45 PM   #19

The ones made here in St. Louis by MB Sturgis said I can just run by and pick up a set.

Waiting for Escape's response for now. It's not even lunchtime for them yet.
Old 03-06-2023, 02:38 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BNEVT2

picture is misleading, they are 12" long which is a little longer than optimal, but the shortest one M-E makes.

This is the best dual tank regulator I've found
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KPR9Q30/
Bought this on Amazon 12/2015 for $49; now they're $83. Can get this on ebay for $52:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26603048834...hoCmDAQAvD_BwE