General work on the trailer - quote from RV service - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2021, 12:52 PM   #21

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Agree Myron but that all depends on ones skill level

David

Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 12:54 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
If it was me I would tell that shop manager to kiss off, and go get a second opinion.

I would caution that if one is inexperienced, terms can be confusing. Best to make sure one understands what is being discussed.

Old 05-26-2021, 01:52 PM   #23

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvest View Post
We are getting ready to go on our first camping outing with our 'new to us' 2005 17B and it needs a few things, we already spent about $500 on new tires, brakes, and packing.
I wondered if anyone has some advice for if we can do any of this ourselves (easily). I am wondering about the Sway Bar installation, that seems like a lot of money to install it.
These are the things that we have received a quote for that seem like they need to be done. The camper is currently at the service place, but they can't do the work until next week...so I could probably change or eliminate a few things. This is for labor only. The parts we purchased or are purchasing are with each item:

- GFCI OUTLET-$77.50
- MONOMETER TEST-$155.00
- REAR BRAKE LIGHT-0$ IF IT IS JUST A BULB.
- SWAY BAR-$310.00 (plus $73 - we bought the Husky Sway Control from the dealer)
- ROOF INSPECTION-$46.50 (they said this was a good idea to check for any leaks)
- NEW BRAKE CONTROLLER-$232.50 (plus $212 Redarc Tow Pro Elite)
- DUMP TANKS-0$
- TURN BALL HITCH TO SIT HIGHER-0$
- BREAKAWAY SWITCH-$31.00
I would recommend a hitch place for your sway bar and brake controller, not an RV place.

Google: trailer hitch Darrington, Washington

I've had hitches installed at a local U-haul in my area and have been happy with their prices and work. Trailer Hitch Installation in Port Townsend, WA at U-Haul Moving & Storage

As far as the roof inspection goes, instead of a $50 inspection to tell you that you need to reseal around your vents (which is periodic maintenance). I'd just get a quote on resealing around roof openings.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 01:54 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
If you tell us what your tow vehicle is and its tow and tongue weight rating ( see your manual ), we could help more.
I have a 2009 17B that I towed for 12 years with a 2008 RAV4 V6 Sport. I used a weight distribution hitch without a sway bar, with no issues.

It's worth checking the caulking on the roof; around vents and where there are rivets. You can do that yourself with a ladder. Just look for separation of caulk.

They must have a very high shop rate to charge $155 for connecting a manometer to a port and seeing what number they get. I suspect they will find that you need a new regulator, and you might. Maybe they should just replace it for under $70.

The list of checks and the price for each sours me on this RV Service site you've found.
I agree, especially the part about paying for a test or inspection that has a known outcome, or a fix that is less expensive than the test to start with.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 02:20 AM   #25

Quote:
We are getting ready to go on our first camping outing with our 'new to us' 2005 17B and it needs a few things, we already spent about $500 on new tires, brakes, and packing.
I wondered if anyone has some advice for if we can do any of this ourselves (easily). I am wondering about the Sway Bar installation, that seems like a lot of money to install it.
These are the things that we have received a quote for that seem like they need to be done. The camper is currently at the service place, but they can't do the work until next week...so I could probably change or eliminate a few things. This is for labor only. The parts we purchased or are purchasing are with each item:

- GFCI OUTLET-$77.50
- MONOMETER TEST-$155.00
- SWAY BAR-$310.00 (plus $73 - we bought the Husky Sway Control from the dealer)
- ROOF INSPECTION-$46.50 (they said this was a good idea to check for any leaks)
- DUMP TANKS-0$
Roof Inspection? Our 2007 17B at 12 years old started leaking at the 9" x 9" bathroom vent. I ordered a new one off Amazon and installed it and resealed the rest of the roof before lunch. Side note, one of the windows did start to leak, the rubber seal shrank a bit. I took out the rubber and reinstalled the glass with black sealant, (RTV).

The Anti Sway Bar? Your trailer won't sway, don't need it. You may need the WDH depending on your vehicle. If you don't know how to set a WDH, there are many YouTube videos that cover it in detail.

You seem new at trailers, make sure you understand weight distribution within the trailer. Load your gear evenly within the trailer.

Dangerous Trailers.Org Presents Trailer Sway 101 - YouTube
Trailer #6 was a 2007 Escape 17B
2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4X4 DC Silver
Following TravellingRobert on Youtube
Doug2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 11:34 AM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
To add, that video with a single axle would not happen with tandem axles which seem to eliminate a lot of the sway, I have towed both and the duals are much more forgiving....
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 12:59 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A -- "The Pullman"
Honda Pilot specifics

Quote:
Thanks for the replies so far. We are towing with a Honda Pilot set up to tow 5k.
We are also totally new to trailer camping/towing/owning! So I don't have anything to compare it to and don't really know what I am doing... .

Sarah,
Now that you've mentioned towing with a Honda Pilot (that's our tow vehicle), can you give us more specifics. What year Pilot? Is it 2 wheel drive (2WD) or four wheel drive (4WD)?
Some years of Pilots (our 2011, for example) all came with a factory towing package, and others had that package as an option. (Edit: you Honda dealer can check the VIN number to see if it has the pkg.).
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 04:54 AM   #28

Trailer: 2002 Bigfoot 21
Quote:

- GFCI OUTLET-$77.50
- MONOMETER TEST-$155.00
- DUMP TANKS-0$

Is this an RV Repair Service or a Dealership that sold you the trailer?

Any kind of service charges you sets an hourly labor rate. In California, RV repair is about 125/hour.

So, with your tires and ball bearings taken care of, the other safety needs you have is a good Weight Distribution System, a breakaway cable, and your break controller. All three are vital to your safety. I have no problem driving on public streets without WD bars. But I always put them on when towing on highways. To me a sway bar is a separate attachment to the outside arm. If this is what you’re referring to, you probably don’t need it. It’s one of those things that is trailer specific.

So, I’m confused about the “sway bar”. Is this the entire WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM? Is $310 the purchase price for the system? Or did you already purchase the system and $310 quote is for mounting & adjusting it to your TV?

What’s the $73 for? Adjusting it to you TV?

If $310 is the price of the WDS, then installing a WDS should not take more than an half hour. So, $73 labor charge makes sense.

If you are concerned about the price of the WDS, then compare with Amazon. If there’s a substantial difference, tell them you’re purchasing on Amazon.

I’d have an auto in dealership install the break controller. They’ll do a better job wiring your TV. I had a trailer service install my controller and learned later that they skewed up my wiring.

Is the RV Service place selling you the break controller? What break controller are you getting? It’s important to purchase a high quality break controller, and you should invest your time to research various brands. Most people swear by Tekonsha controllers. $212 is overpriced. You should be able to purchase a break controller for under $160.

Is $31 for the breakaway switch or labor to install that switch? I ask this because I was doing a safety check on my switch, and I can’t imagine spending more than 5 minutes attaching a new one & checking it out.

$155 for a propane safety test is absurd. Basically, you lift up your stove top, attach your gas line to the meter, note the pressure reading, and check the pressure 10 minutes later to see if there’s a leak. They could inspect the roof & the breakaway cable while waiting for the 10 minutes to elapse.

I am in the habit of researching and purchasing major components to the trailer, and then having professionals do the installation. I do ask for recommendations, but I make the final decision and order the product.

So, I recommend you research break controllers on the web. Escape Industries may have some suggestions as well. Price the ones you like on Amazon, and arrange for your favorite auto mechanic to install the controller.

Because you are new to towing, Check out WDSs on YouTube. You should understand how to properly set up your system. It’s a visual thing - where the bars are parallel to the ground when attached to you hitch. A proper system is just that: the hitch mounted on your TV should sit at a comfortable distance from the ground. Otherwise, you’ll be scraping the hitch every time you turn into a driveway.

Learn how to measure you TV rear bumper & the trailer tongue when ordering a system. What considerations went into the RV Service’s recommendation for that tow system?

YouTube has some excellent videos on setting up & taking down your Sway Bars. There’s an strict order you’ll need to memorize. This protects you from injuring your back!

Regarding the $46 roof inspection. That’s fine. But have them teach you what to look for with respect to leaks. After a rain storm I usually check the cupboards for moisture, and the around the ceiling vents, and the AC. That’s where leaks will occur.

Finally, after you get back from your trip, you may want to find another trailer repair service. You deserve better. You need to find a place that does high quality work and is honest. You should also research a mobile service. You’d be surprised how good some of these people are, and it’s much more convenient to come to your house.

Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote