Getting needed repairs while on the road. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2021, 12:37 AM   #1

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Getting needed repairs while on the road.

We had a slight hiccup in selling our Airstream Basecamp as I was walking the new owners through the trailer. The Truma water/coach heater decided to throw a 12V error code and would not light reliably. Long story short, the control board in the Truma gave up the ghost. We are in the last year of a service plan that came cheap when we bought the Basecamp in 2017 so getting the board replaced would not be a significant financial hit.

But, after calling 12 RV repair shops within 50 miles, the best appointment I could get was late September. Not exactly in concert with a buyer with a cashier's check for pretty much what I paid for the Basecamp in 2017. The closest Airstream dealer is 120 miles away and they agreed to bump us up given the circumstances. Should have the repair and completed sale by this time next week.

But, I got to thinking that several shops told me that they are hammered with work and are taking folks on a flow basis. COVID has resulted in armies of people coming out of the woodwork and becoming RV owners. Even traveling RVers are having to wait extended periods in order to get their rigs diagnosed and repaired.

Times are a changing.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:29 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Never needed a repair in any of my 4 Escapes "on the road" so that worry is minimal, IMHO! It can happen but you can also enjoy your trip unless the repair prevents you from continuing,
Old 08-05-2021, 08:44 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Often, the best solution when on the road is to look for a nearby on site mobile repair company.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:33 AM   #4

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Often, the best solution when on the road is to look for a nearby on site mobile repair company.
Agreed, we have had good luck in the past finding on site repairs.

That said, nearly 1/2 of the repair options I recently contacted were mobile operations and they were stretched out at least a month.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote