Getting tags - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5TA
Getting tags

So, talk about putting the cart before the horse...

Before my "new" 5er even thinks about hatching, I run down to the local tax office this morning to find out what paperwork I will need here in Texas, and if I can get plates before I pick it up.

First I walk in and say good morning to all and smile, and immediately apologize for asking so many questions on a Mon. morning!

I need the cert. of origin, 7501, EPA something and that's it!
Oh, and the big tax billed paid of course!

Definitely pays to smile and be nice!
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Well unfortunately it seems to depend on who you talk to. I was not able to get the tags beforehand but I was able to get a 30 day temp tag. There was one doc needed that I received at delivery that was key. But when the time comes go ahead and try it just may work!
2019 Chevy Silverado RST 1500, 5.3L
sjnuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #3

Thanks for the heads up S&C! It will be awhile,and we all know things change every day, just trying to get my duckies in a row!

Hope you two have been doing well - need to come fishing!!
Old 09-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
In 2012, I was able to get my plates at the Washington County courthouse (Brenham) prior to making the trip to Chilliwack. Tammy had sent us all the paperwork necessary a couple of weeks before pickup. The clerks were not familiar with the documents and policies for handling a new registration from out of country. After a few minutes of rejection, I insisted that she call Austin. They schooled her on the matter and I was able to take our plates to Canada, saving money by not needing a 30 day permit.

So... plead your case at the courthouse Vicki and save yourself an extra step in the registration process and a few bucks. I believe that helped us get back across the border and back in Texas a month later.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #5

The lady here (Guadalupe Co.), saw no problem. After I gave her the scenario she pulled out a large binder and even showed me what I needed. Very very helpful!
Old 09-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape
I think the lesson in these threads about importing and registering a trailer is that it isn't really a problem. Everyone gets their trailer across the border. Everyone successfully registers their trailer. Maybe it takes an hour, or a couple of volleys through the mail. Nothing to worry about. Go camping. Enjoy the trip home.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #7

Trailer: none
Since we were purchasing a used trailer but picking it up in Chilliwack we could not get a plate ahead of time. So we took the plate off our sold Scamp - in NM the plate stays with the person not the vehicle.
We drove through customs and on home to NM with our 'new to us' Escape trailer using the plate from our previous trailer. One we got home we were able to just register that plate to the Escape.
There was never any question at the border or on our way home. We carried the bill of sale, 7501 and BC registration with us just in case.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote