Glacier N.P. Advice - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2015, 03:17 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfs View Post
...read the novels by Ivan Doig, Dancing at the Rascal Fair, English Creek and finally Ride with me Mariah Montana. In that order.
NO!! Read English Creek first, then Dancing, then Ride.

Actually, Doig is the absolute best. The only trouble is...he doesn't write fast enough.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:09 PM   #22
rfs

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Karen, your order is how I read them the first time then the other way, chronological, the second time. Also enjoyed Doig's This House of Sky. My daughter got me an autographed copy of Ride at a book signing in Salt Lake City. I also enjoyed Stegner's, Big Rock Candy Mountain. Stegner was originally from Iowa I believe. My memory fades. Turned down a job in Yaak Montana years ago to work for the Forest Service on the Nez Perce in Idaho. If I'd have taken that Montana job my life would have probably taken a different course.
Dave
rfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:21 PM   #23

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quite frankly, Ivan Doig's best novel is The Whistling Season ...
gudmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:21 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
The Bartender's tale

It was my first Doag book, and I enjoyed it a loot. Next time through Montana I am stopping at Ft. Peck Dam.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:56 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I'm biased here but I've read English Creek and Dancing three times each. Great author.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:42 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 'Houdini 2'
Ian and I are picking up 'Houdini 2' and going to the rally in Osoyoos. We would like to go to Glacier after that, but wonder if any of you think the the very beginning of June is too early? Any advice will be much appreciated.
Thanks, Jenny
Old 02-18-2015, 02:21 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddys View Post
Ian and I are picking up 'Houdini 2' and going to the rally in Osoyoos. We would like to go to Glacier after that, but wonder if any of you think the the very beginning of June is too early? Any advice will be much appreciated.
Thanks, Jenny
Hi:Eddys... Congrats on "Houdini 2"!!! After the Escape Rally we stayed at Waterton Lakes and really want to return. From there we headed south to Yellowstone just in time for it to snow.Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
FMB Florida for now
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:25 PM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Thanks, Jenny
Average high and low for Glacier in June is 71F and 43F. It "can" snow there in June, but I'd say go for it.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:04 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
If driving (or riding on) the "Going to the Sun" road is part of your plans, check to see if it is open. It will very often still be snowbound in June. You may be able to drive part of the way up the road at each end of the park, but the middle may be closed. Check here. You will still be able to get to both sides of the park, but you will have to take US 2.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:22 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Any issue with driving US2 as a substitute for the park route, I was contemplating doing this on my way to Osoyoos in May?? It appears to be very mountainous.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:59 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
My RAV4 pulled my 17B over it each way with no problems. Parts of US 89 between US 2 & St Mary are "interesting", but doable. There are a couple of alternatives - taking Starr School House road from Browning bypasses some of it, and those with long RVs often choose to go to MT 464, then south on US 89 into St Mary. For those that don't like rough (but paved) mountain roads, DON'T take MT 49, which looks like a shortcut between East Glacier & US 89. Nice views, but a "very interesting" road (I did pull the 17 over it, but many frost heaves & hairpin turns on steep grades). The section of it that goes to Two medicine campground form the south isn't too bad, but if you are coming from St Mary, I recommend taking US 89 all the way to East Glacier.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:07 PM   #32

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 'Houdini 2'
Thank you so much for all your responses. We will give it a try. It looks much too wonderful to miss!
Grant and Kathy - when you hike the trails, what do you do with Molly?
Old 02-18-2015, 05:34 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Grant and Kathy - when you hike the trails, what do you do with Molly?
When we last went to Glacier we had Raider, our Golden Retriever before Molly. He was our dog before we became fulltime RVers. When we were both working on rainy days we would leave him in the house until we got home. He never had any problems with being left inside all day.

When we were fulltiming and wanted to go hiking we left Raider in the 5th wheel. He would spend his day "guarding" our bed. As long as we gave him a good walk before or after our hike and left him water, Raider was fine. Depending on the weather we would leave either our Fantastic Fans on or the A/C. In general we tried to be back within about 6 hours and certainly no later than 8 hours.

A side note: In all of our travels we never found a US National Park that allowed dogs on the trails and we also never found a Canadian National Park that did not allow dogs on the trails.

Grant

“The journey not the arrival matters.” – T. S. Eliot
Grant & Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:28 PM   #34

Trailer: 17b
Yes, proving once again how much more reasonable Canada is if you have dogs. The parks here are becoming so restrictive you can hardly sneeze w/o breaking some kind of rule. Don't get me wrong, they're a treasure and should be preserved, but there are rules that seem overbearing, JIMO.

On a more positive note, here's something you should watch if you love nature and awesome photography, it's really amazing and has some nice shots in Glacier - Timeless, A National Park Odyssey:

Escape While You Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:53 AM   #35

Trailer: 21' Escape (June 2014)
Quote:
Thanks, Jenny
That's what we did, (after a four-night stop at Banff, that is). When we got to St. Mary we couldn't even drive Going To The Sun as far as the St. Mary Lake, but I think it was due to construction more than the snow. It was cold, with highs in the 40s and 50s, and it rained almost every day, so it really wasn't a great time for us. In our three days there we had one decent afternoon without rain when we visited Many Glacier - other than that it was almost a total bust; we spent most of our time huddled up in our camper reading books while waiting for the cold rain to stop. On the other hand, Lake Louise, Moraine Lake, and the Ice Field Parkway in Banff were delightful!
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote