GMC Canyon Diesel? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2019, 09:25 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gori View Post
A tad bit "damp" was it? : )
Hi: Gori... Yes!!! My dad always said "You can pick your days, but you can't pick your weather". We tugged out to a drier site just before it started to rain again. You just don't know when that 4 wh. drive will come in handy Eh? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:58 PM   #22

Trailer: 21' Escape in production 12/05/19
Anyone having trouble with their GMC Canon Diesel getting too cold? Does it have to be plugged in if parked ungaraged in a winter climate? I'm new to the idea of a diesel rig. Still not sure about it.
Gori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:01 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
I know for a fact that mine will start at -15° F. It doesn't want to; but it will.

Block heater is an available option, mine didn't come with one.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:09 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturski View Post
I know for a fact that mine will start at -15° F. It doesn't want to; but it will.

Thank you for that. There’s no way I’m spending time in a trailer (or even a house) in that kind of weather/climate.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:02 AM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
never had a 4x4 until about 5 years ago when we bought a Tacoma, which ended up being upgraded to an F250 4x4.... I love exploring dirt roads and back country places, so I wouldn't want anything else for our road trips... The Tacoma was much more fun on tight gnarly dirt roads, but the F250 has proven to be surprisingly capable too. The REAL key is having decent all terrain tires, and not just highway tires, if you want to explore back country 4x4 roads. I'm totally hooked on BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2's for my trucks. they ride quiet on the highway, they have great dry and wet traction on pavement, and are very capable on dirt roads, anything short of thick sloppy mud or deep sand. on our recent 18 day trip to South Utah, we logged about 100 miles of dirt roads in the Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument, and got to see some spectacular places.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:07 AM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gori View Post
Anyone having trouble with their GMC Canon Diesel getting too cold? Does it have to be plugged in if parked ungaraged in a winter climate? I'm new to the idea of a diesel rig. Still not sure about it.
my 2002 F250 7.3 has a block heater, with a place to plug an extension cord hidden in the front bumper, but I've never used it. around the mid-left coast here, even on mid 40s mornings, it starts right up without even waiting on the glow plugs. I think the coldest I've had it in so far was a 30F frosty morning, I did let the glowplug light time out, and it started right up.

I'm sure if I was living in the high Sierra or Rockies or New England, whatever, I'd be plugging it into a timer circuit each night, so it would be ready to go in the AM. But I'm not, so I don't
Old 06-21-2019, 07:34 AM   #27

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturski View Post

🛌 At -15 you couldn’t get me started.......
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:49 AM   #28

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
With dual batteries , an engine block heater , a tank heater , an oil pan heater and battery warmers you should not have starting issues in cold weather .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:40 AM   #29

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
We tow our E21 with a 2017 Canyon diesel, SLT, with Nav, 4WD, short bed. The truck does a great job of towing our trailer and we live out West where we have some high mountain passes to contend with. We get 18 mpg ave when towing and 28 when not towing. Mostly drive with cruise on at 65 mph. If I had to buy another truck to tow our E21, it would be a Canyon diesel. We have over 50,000 miles on the truck and the only problem so far has been a leaking shock absorber which was replaced under warranty.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:59 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chama View Post
We tow our E21 with a 2017 Canyon diesel, SLT, with Nav, 4WD, short bed. The truck does a great job of towing our trailer and we live out West where we have some high mountain passes to contend with. We get 18 mpg ave when towing and 28 when not towing. Mostly drive with cruise on at 65 mph. If I had to buy another truck to tow our E21, it would be a Canyon diesel. We have over 50,000 miles on the truck and the only problem so far has been a leaking shock absorber which was replaced under warranty.
Thank you. That sounds like a very positive experience. Also the exact model and options I'm considering.

Fingers crossed here. Not that I'm superstitious or anything.... That wasn't a black cat was it, no broken mirrors here, did the groundhog see his shadow this year?
Old 06-21-2019, 11:20 AM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
🛌 At -15 you couldn’t get me started.......
Hi: Chotch... A "Hot topic" will get me started!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:35 AM   #32

Trailer: 1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Meter
Here's your GM Colorado/Canyon towing a 2100 lb trailer.

Quote from the owner of the truck.

"Just heard back from Chevy. GM has declined to repair the truck due to my trailer not having trailer brakes and being 100 lbs over their 2000 lb weight limit for a trailer without trailer brakes per the owner's manual."

No GM did NOT warranty the bent frame!
Attached Thumbnails
BENT FRAME 1.jpg   BENT FRAME 2.jpg   BENT FRAME 3.jpg   BENT FRAME 4.jpg  

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!:"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:58 AM   #33

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
We camped in Manning Park beside a brand new E19 on the weekend towed by a GMC Canyon Diesel. The family was returning to Quebec. They seemed happy with both. Their fuel consumption was about 15 litres/100km. Around 15 mpg-us.
DFlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:06 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFlater View Post
We camped in Manning Park beside a brand new E19 on the weekend towed by a GMC Canyon Diesel. The family was returning to Quebec. They seemed happy with both. Their fuel consumption was about 15 litres/100km. Around 15 mpg-us.
Thank you. I've heard from a number of people (here and through private messages) who are very pleased with their Canyon or Colorado diesels in combo with their Escape Trailers.

: )
Old 06-26-2019, 11:08 AM   #35

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I can not believe a 2000lb trailer bent that frame on the truck regardless of lack of brakes.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:23 AM   #36

We can all agree that lack of brakes did not cause the frame to bend HOWEVER that little statement in the owner's manual about 2000 lb and up trailers are required to have trailer brakes DID allow GM to deny the warranty claim due to improper trailering and loading.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:22 PM   #37

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We have hauled numerous trailer loads of firewood weighing approx 3000 to 3500 lbs in a utility trailer that does not have trailer brakes . The trucks we have used are all 1/2 ton pickups ( Ford , Chevy ,Ram ) and have never done any physical damage to the trucks except maybe some excess wear on the brakes. It seems GM is just trying to use a technicality / loophole to avoid paying a warranty claim
I suppose you could try fighting GM’s ruling through the courts but how many people have the resources / time to fight this out against a team of high price attorneys and engineers
I’ve only seen something similar to this one time and that was on a older toyata tacoma where the frame broke due to rust
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:26 PM   #38

Apparently bent frames are far more common that you might think according to many posts on the Colorado ZR2 forums along with un-expected side roof air bag deployments.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:24 PM   #39

I tow a 2010 5.0 with my 2016 GMC Diesel Canyon long bed. 4WD crew cab. Get better mileage on the highway at 75 (20 mpg) than at 60. Seems to be happier at that rpm. I used to pull with a 2009 Nissan Frontier with a 6 speed manual transmission. It was a good truck but had very limited turning radius. I feel that 4WD is worth it when slippery such as wet grass, soft ground in camping areas as well as daily use in winter.
Overall I’m really happy with the Diesel GMC!
rvanwyngarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:39 PM   #40
Site Team

thats a pretty flimsy looking frame, the one on my tacoma looked beefier.

I also note the point at which it bent looks to be right where the shock absorber is anchored.

that trailer looks to have a very short wheelbase and rather high CoG. it also doesn't appear to have much suspension travel, and they are pretty obviously on a 4x4 road.