GMC Canyon Diesel? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2019, 01:52 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
Not a Canyon but I tow with a diesel 4WD Jeep Grand Cherokee and the 4WD has gotten me out of more situations than I care to admit but I'm on a lot of marginal "roads" in southern MO. Definitely worth it for me.
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:55 PM   #42

Trailer: 1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Meter
GM "Hydro-Formed" frame.

There seems to be far more GM Colorado frame failures with the DSS shock package on trucks than those without the optional shock package.

The early "Ford F150 Raptors" were also noted for bent frame failures. Most of those bent frame failures were do to the truck owner's trying to do the same flying maneuvers Ford did in their TV commercials advertising the then "New Ford F150 Raptor"!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!:"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:59 PM   #43

Trailer: 21' Escape in production 12/05/19
Diesel Canyon

So since I started this thread I feel like I need to share what I've learned...

I've had detailed private conversations with over 5 people who have either the GMC Canyon Diesel or Chevy Colorado Diesel. I've heard from all of them how well their rigs perform and how pleased they are with them, both the 2WD and 4WD versions. I've also gotten feedback from people who know of others who tow Escapes with these rigs. No one has said that they regret the purchase, or that they would not purchase the same vehicle again. These reviews are from die hard diesel fans, and from complete diesel newbies (when they first purchased).

It sounds from what I've heard that one would be best to choose the 4WD option if they tow a lot, or exclusively.

Thank you to all who've provided their feedback.

Gori
Gori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:12 PM   #44

Trailer: TBD
I think a person could be very happy with a compact diesel pickup like the GM/Chevy twins. The twins were on my short list too but went with a 2019 Ridgeline. There are those who would question that choice, but I am content with it since the weight of an Escape 21 is within the towing specs of the Ridgeline. But then, I used to jump out of perfectly good airplanes and run into burning buildings too.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:37 PM   #45

Trailer: 2012 E19
A comment was made on another RV forum to the effect that some number of people on the Canyon/Colorado owners' forum have experienced that sort of bent frame. Now, maybe the owners are abusing them (the one in the photos may have been driven too fast over extreme bumps which caused equipment to fly off the ground briefly, for example), but I think some people abuse their trucks no matter what brand or model and despite this I've not seen this sort of frame deformation being discussed for any of them except the Canyon/Colorado. So I would tend toward caution.

The fact that GM weaseled out of warranty coverage with the excuse that the trailer was 100 lbs over the allowed limit for un-braked trailers, plus the tires were 1" taller than OEM, speaks volumes to me.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:40 PM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther View Post
I think a person could be very happy with a compact diesel pickup like the GM/Chevy twins. The twins were on my short list too but went with a 2019 Ridgeline. There are those who would question that choice, but I am content with it since the weight of an Escape 21 is within the towing specs of the Ridgeline. But then, I used to jump out of perfectly good airplanes and run into burning buildings too.
Hi: Farther... What rule of thumb did you use for your Ridgeline Towing Specs? 40%, 60%, or 80% of cap.!!! It's good to know you can "Run and jump" with the best of 'em. I took a flip with a friend doing forced landings. I knew I was in trouble when he asked me to shut off the fuel valve between the seats!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:16 PM   #47

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
A comment was made on another RV forum to the effect that some number of people on the Canyon/Colorado owners' forum have experienced that sort of bent frame. Now, maybe the owners are abusing them (the one in the photos may have been driven too fast over extreme bumps which caused equipment to fly off the ground briefly, for example), but I think some people abuse their trucks no matter what brand or model and despite this I've not seen this sort of frame deformation being discussed for any of them except the Canyon/Colorado. So I would tend toward caution.

The fact that GM weaseled out of warranty coverage with the excuse that the trailer was 100 lbs over the allowed limit for un-braked trailers, plus the tires were 1" taller than OEM, speaks volumes to me.
Which RV forum?? I've been following one canyon/colorado forum (coloradofans.com) since I bought mine and don't recall seeing any posts about this. I just did a search on it as well, and nothing came up. There are many posts from guys doing things to their Colorados/Canyons that I would consider abuse, such as towing huge trailers bumping up to or exceeding the weight rating and/or pooh poohing concerns about payload limits and sway. But nothing about a bent frame?? At any rate, I agree one should tend toward caution, especially when towing. I just drove my Colorado out of Birch Creek on the Lower Owyhee River in eastern Oregon. I wasn't towing anything, but it was still a hump for the truck to climb out of that canyon. Or any vehicle, for that matter. Extremely steep, rocky road with numerous steep stream crossings. The 2 rigs in front of us both got flat tires, and I can see if a person drove really fast across those crossings towing a heavy trailer how a truck frame could be bent. Not sure who would be stupid enough to do that??!!! I babied my truck and went super slow, why push it and risk damage, not to mention a flat??
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:14 PM   #48

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
It was an extremely bitter winter in WI last year and at work it's not in a garage and it would start just fine when it was -20 F, no block heater
Jeremy Kessenich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:43 PM   #49

Trailer: 2016 Itasca Navion
Have the Canyon gas 6 2018 and it has been a great tow vehicle for the 21. After having several diesels decided on gas and it was a great choice. Let me know if you want details.
BajaBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:20 PM   #50

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
Sorry, I am late to this. I adore my 2016 Canyon Duramax, crew cab, short bed. I towed my 19 from BC to Ottawa two years ago without any issues at all. It took me some time to figure out the diesel brake, no help from the dealer. I have WD/anti sway from ETI. The truck is very comfortable and convenient in the city for all errands, parks easily and sips fuel. AWD is always on in the winter and in the rain. Always on when towing.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:13 PM   #51

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
The shock in the picture is 1 which comes on their hot rod version Z21 I think. Check out their forum, some pretty cool pics of totally air born trucks. Only in Hollywood can you do that and expect to keep getting away with it. I would like to know where the pics and quote came from on that bent frame, unless it was first hand or from a trusted friend I’d take it with a grain of salt. Just like all the blown up Ecoboost ‘s. Last one of those I read about happened at a drag strip, believe the owner said it was at 105mph. he was working on trying to get Ford to warranty that. 🤔 Ford had a problem with aftermarket tuner and intake setup.😄 hey you wanna play, you gotta pay.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:22 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
We can all agree that lack of brakes did not cause the frame to bend HOWEVER that little statement in the owner's manual about 2000 lb and up trailers are required to have trailer brakes DID allow GM to deny the warranty claim due to improper trailering and loading.
Where did this information come from? On some forum? This is going the way of other discussions on the Ford Ecoboost. A whole lot of bad mouthing from people with no personal experience and nothing but positive input from those with.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:49 PM   #53

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The internet used to be a good idea.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:59 PM   #54

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Farther... What rule of thumb did you use for your Ridgeline Towing Specs? 40%, 60%, or 80% of cap.!!! )
I didn't use any rule of thumb. I used the published GVWR of the Escape 21.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:10 PM   #55

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
Where did this information come from? On some forum? This is going the way of other discussions on the Ford Ecoboost. A whole lot of bad mouthing from people with no personal experience and nothing but positive input from those with.
I have no personal experience in having a heart attack or cancer yet I think I can safely bad mouth them.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:43 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I have no personal experience in having a heart attack or cancer yet I think I can safely bad mouth them.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:03 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The internet used to be a good idea.
For information it’s getting to be the only option, problem is you have to wade through a pile of 💩 to get a kernel of truth. In too many cases people don’t separate fact from opinion. IMHO
Old 06-27-2019, 08:16 AM   #58

Quote:
For information it’s getting to be the only option, problem is you have to wade through a pile of 💩 to get a kernel of truth. In too many cases people don’t separate fact from opinion. IMHO
EXACTLY! That's why I was so glad to hear from so many actual owners of these vehicles. People who have them and have used them. Those folks seem very happy.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:17 AM   #59

Diesel Canyon

Quote:
EXACTLY! That's why I was so glad to hear from so many actual owners of these vehicles. People who have them and have used them. Those folks seem very happy.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:44 AM   #60

Trailer: 2012 E19
I wish to retract my previous statement regarding bent frame. The info came from this thread:
https://forums.trailerlife.com/index...pging/1/page/1
I read this thread when it was only 2 or 3 pages long, and based my comments on what was known at that point. But now it goes 6 pages, and on page 6 this info was posted by another member calling himself "Is1Mike":
This blew up on my GMT800 Facebook board.
Some stuff that came out after the fact:
Truck was going 40mph, Trailer was actually 3900lbs.
Everything left the ground. This came to the GMT800 board from a guy who is on the Colorado board who posted all the findings. They beat on the owner pretty good for lying about it.
It is 2900lbs dry.
If you have Facebook go read it. I laughed the whole time.

Guy removed himself from the board.

Sorry for posting inaccurate info. (But hey, I read it on the internet, so it had to be true!!)
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote