GMC Canyon Diesel? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2019, 11:49 AM   #61

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
I’m towing a 5.0 (not TA) with my Canyon diesel. Works great but needs a DIY hitch install as no kit was available for this truck. Documented in my files.

John
john o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:45 PM   #62

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
I wish to retract my previous statement regarding bent frame. The info came from this thread:
https://forums.trailerlife.com/index...pging/1/page/1
I read this thread when it was only 2 or 3 pages long, and based my comments on what was known at that point. But now it goes 6 pages, and on page 6 this info was posted by another member calling himself "Is1Mike":
This blew up on my GMT800 Facebook board.
Some stuff that came out after the fact:
Truck was going 40mph, Trailer was actually 3900lbs.
Everything left the ground. This came to the GMT800 board from a guy who is on the Colorado board who posted all the findings. They beat on the owner pretty good for lying about it.
It is 2900lbs dry.
If you have Facebook go read it. I laughed the whole time.

Guy removed himself from the board.

Sorry for posting inaccurate info. (But hey, I read it on the internet, so it had to be true!!)
Thank you for this additional information Mike G!!! From a very happy Colorado owner, who would like to continue believing my truck is awesome
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 04:14 PM   #63

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
We can all agree that lack of brakes did not cause the frame to bend HOWEVER that little statement in the owner's manual about 2000 lb and up trailers are required to have trailer brakes DID allow GM to deny the warranty claim due to improper trailering and loading.
Look in the last picture...those look like heavy duty four wheelin type shocks....what else did the owner do
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:33 PM   #64

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
Look in the last picture...those look like heavy duty four wheelin type shocks....what else did the owner do
As you can see from the logo and text, these DSSV shocks (made by Multimatic) are a GM performance part; they are a factory option on this truck (as part of the ZR2 package) so they don't (by themselves) indicate that the owner made any modification.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 02:11 AM   #65

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
I have the Colorado ZR2 with the DSSV shocks and do a lot of off-road driving in pretty rough conditions as well as towing my 17B. It's a great vehicle that has been well proven off-road and on, but if you are going to get airborne, you better not be towing a trailer

The DSSV's are great on the highway as well as off-road. It's a progressive shock that starts out really soft and rapidly stiffens with impact speed to prevent bottoming. That's how they can do those airborne shots.

If I was looking at the competition, I'd probably be looking at the F150 3.0 diesel (or a Raptor), but for a similar upper trim level as the ZR2 it's about $20K more expensive. Add to that the extras required to get it truly off-road capable and it's crazy expensive compared to the Colorado ZR2 diesel.
Attached Thumbnails
ron-5_42457222172_o.jpg   dsc03182_27658816277_o.jpg   the-rig_42459675935_o.jpg  
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:01 AM   #66

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Hi skyfree,
great looking truck and escape, combination.

How's does it tow/feel, etc. ? What type of hitch are you using?
I've got a V6 ZR2 and am considering an Escape 19 ... so am curious of how things are working out for you.

Thanks
dsbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:25 AM   #67

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
I've had a GMC Canyon long bed for about a year now. Some lows, you can't see the selector for 2wd, AWD, 4wd h, ect or the brake controller, from the normal driving position, or at least I can't. In previous vehicles there was a foot rest on the drivers side for your left foot not so on the Canyon. You can't replace the windshield wiper rubber blades, you have to replace the entire assembly to replace the blade ( I'm not talking the arms, I'm talking about the assembly that holds the rubber blade) which is about $25 a pair vs $8 a pair in my previous truck, the back seat really can only hold two adults though there is seating for 3 in the rear, the front seats are comfortable but tight. With the long bed is long so just an fyi. The exhaust brake comes on for me whenever I brake going downhill no matter if I'm in tow/haul mode or not. Kinda annoying. When unloaded and you go around a bend in the road and there is a bump the back end of the truck doesn't track well. Loaded it doesn't do that. You can stand up the seat bottom of the back seats but there is annoying permanent tray on the floor that really doesn't let you gain anything by putting the seats up.

Highs are as others have said fuel economy, it's pretty easy to get 30 mpg hwy around WI. With that said, during our bitter winter well below zero for weeks on end it was hard to get above 20 mpg. It never struggled to start in that same cold. When you stop facing up a hill the brake will hold itself meaning you can take your foot off the brake I think they call it Hill Start Assist. I think it's a quiet vehicle, I think other than unloaded around a corner with bump it handles well, the AWD in the winter was great. I'm sure some of the lows would be eliminated with a full sized truck but we didn't want a full sized truck. We use it almost daily as a truck, not an SUV.

BTW, Chevy/GMC is coming out with a 3.0 L diesel for the Silverado line next year.
Jeremy Kessenich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:05 AM   #68

Trailer: 21' Escape in production 12/05/19
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post
I have the Colorado ZR2 with the DSSV shocks and do a lot of off-road driving in pretty rough conditions as well as towing my 17B. It's a great vehicle that has been well proven off-road and on, but if you are going to get airborne, you better not be towing a trailer

The DSSV's are great on the highway as well as off-road. It's a progressive shock that starts out really soft and rapidly stiffens with impact speed to prevent bottoming. That's how they can do those airborne shots.

If I was looking at the competition, I'd probably be looking at the F150 3.0 diesel (or a Raptor), but for a similar upper trim level as the ZR2 it's about $20K more expensive. Add to that the extras required to get it truly off-road capable and it's crazy expensive compared to the Colorado ZR2 diesel.

No flying while towing... dually noted. : ) Nice looking combo btw.
Gori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 11:53 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbc View Post
Hi skyfree,
great looking truck and escape, combination.

How's does it tow/feel, etc. ? What type of hitch are you using?
I've got a V6 ZR2 and am considering an Escape 19 ... so am curious of how things are working out for you.

Thanks
Tows great, as others have said. The only difference with the ZR2 is going to be MPG and the shocks give a different feel and better handling.

You may not be aware, but the pressure cut off when filling the tank is set at 2.5 gallons less than the tank holds. I always slow-fill the last 2 gallons for extra range.

Before I installed the trailer lift kit (not in that photo -- I recently did it), I just used a 3 1/2" U-Haul drop hitch -- no Weight Distributing hitch. Now I'm using a 2" drop Curt 7,500lb hitch. I wouldn't hesitate to use a WDH, but I felt it wasn't necessary and we do some mild off-road driving with the trailer to find remote campsites. For proper articulation the WDH bars would have to be removed so I just don't bother with it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Kessenich View Post
When unloaded and you go around a bend in the road and there is a bump the back end of the truck doesn't track well.
DSSV shocks on the ZR2 eliminate that. It's amazing how well the truck handles that situation.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:09 PM   #70

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Thanks skyfree for the info about how it tows, hitch, ... and topping off the fuel tank (I wasn't aware of that.
dsbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:32 PM   #71

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Careful taking interweb advice.
https://clark.com/cars/why-you-shoul...your-gas-tank/
Damage to the charcoal filter
Topping off your gas tank can cause pressure to build in the tank and flood the carbon filter vapor collection system, only meant for vapor. Subsequently, this overflow can affect your car's performance and could possibly damage the engine.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:31 PM   #72

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Topping off your gas tank can cause pressure to build in the tank and flood the carbon filter vapor collection system, only meant for vapor. Subsequently, this overflow can affect your car's performance and could possibly damage the engine.
Interesting stuff.

But is this information trustworthy? After all, we read it on the internet...
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:37 PM   #73

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I recall seeing the same notice in my new car vehicle info as well as posted on fuel pumps, not to top off your tank. Once it shuts off, turn it off.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:39 PM   #74

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Interesting stuff.

Yup. It's your call. I choose not to top up my tank. If you drink Bud Light, you may need to.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:28 AM   #75

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA towed with a 2017 GMC Canyon V6
We tow our 5.0TA with a 2017 GMC Canyon V6 4WD short bed. We use the Andersen Ultimate hitch (and you couldn't pay me to use a conventional 5th wheel hitch). We didn't go with the diesel because of (1) the added expense, (2) the fact that diesel is much more expensive in much of the country, (3) the added complexity of the diesel systems and having to add blue DEF, and (4) this towing test: https://www.tfltruck.com/2017/02/201...-review-video/. I've posted about my experience towing our 5.0TA in other posts, but the bottom line is that we're very happy with our truck and how it tows our trailer. BTW, the 4WD has come in handy a few times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gori View Post
So since I started this thread I feel like I need to share what I've learned...

I've had detailed private conversations with over 5 people who have either the GMC Canyon Diesel or Chevy Colorado Diesel. I've heard from all of them how well their rigs perform and how pleased they are with them, both the 2WD and 4WD versions. I've also gotten feedback from people who know of others who tow Escapes with these rigs. No one has said that they regret the purchase, or that they would not purchase the same vehicle again. These reviews are from die hard diesel fans, and from complete diesel newbies (when they first purchased).

It sounds from what I've heard that one would be best to choose the 4WD option if they tow a lot, or exclusively.

Thank you to all who've provided their feedback.

Gori
jkordzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:04 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My diesel has no charcoal canister, but yes, I've heard that about gas engines. FWIW, I've been adding an extra 2 gallons for 20,000 miles with no issues.

Adding 2 gallons doesn't actually top it off though. This was apparently a marketing decision made by GM. Word is that the Colorado/Canyon has the same fuel tank as the larger 1500 series trucks, but they didn't want to give the smaller truck an advantage like that so they designed it to shut off early.

My Honda Pilot shuts off so late that fuel regularly spills out of the filler hole. It's kind of annoying because it smells really bad, but hasn't caused any problems with the engine (yet).
Old 07-04-2019, 06:26 PM   #77

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The pump shut-off is not determined by the vehicle manufacturer. The pump nozzle detects what is supposed to be fluid up to the nozzle (but is often triggered early my splashing) and trips the valve off. Some filler tube designs are a pain, others fill so freely that the person filling is surprised and fails to slow down near the top, but stopping is always determined by the pump nozzle and user.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:57 AM   #78

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 pulled by GMC Canyon Diesel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gori View Post
Anyone having trouble with their GMC Canon Diesel getting too cold? Does it have to be plugged in if parked ungaraged in a winter climate? I'm new to the idea of a diesel rig. Still not sure about it.
No problems whatsoever starting my Canyon diesel in brutal Ottawa winter weather. I have yet to plug in the block heater or use the expensive extension cord I bought for that purpose.
The only issue I have experienced is the ignition refusing to give up the key. This happened several times and I had to conduct my own research to find a service bulletin and comments on a forum thread discussing that or similar issues. After forwarding the information, the dealer determined that the shifter had to be replaced. When you depress the shifter button you can hear a clicking sound in the ignition. Luckily, I have an extended warranty and the deductible was $100.
I read recently that GM is reintroducing the Jimmy on the Canyon frame with an available baby Duramax.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness. Mark Twain
JPSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:13 AM   #79

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Interesting stuff.

I have read the same information/warnings on other sites. On the FJ forum there are posters who have topped off their tanks for thousands of miles with no ill effects and other posters have talked about their $1000 repair bill to repair their fuel system due to overfilling the tanks.

If I stop fueling when the nozzle kicks off, my tank is not even close to full and I seem to be always stopping at the gas station. I find that if continue to add fuel into my FJ's tank after the pump nozzle kicks off, I can usually get another 8 to 10 litres of gas into the tank before I can start to see the fuel rising up the neck to the tank inlet. That equates to about 10% of my tank volume. I am always careful not to fill it right to the brim or to overtop the brim, but maybe that is no better than a few inches below the brim? I have been filling the tank to where I can see the fuel in the neck since I owned the vehicle and it now has nearly 200,000 trouble free kilometres on it. I think that I will continue to go with what has worked for me so far.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:33 AM   #80

Trailer: TBD
I wonder if it makes a difference in potential fuel system damage between topping off and immediately hitting the road and topping off and immediately parking for an extended period of time.