Gravel Roads and Escape Trailers - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2017, 08:32 AM   #1

Trailer: 5.0TA 19 Aug 2016, 2012 Dodge RAM 1500, Andersen Hitch.
Gravel Roads and Escape Trailers

Just returned from a trip to Idaho, Yellowstone National Park, and eventual return to San Marcos, CA. With a desire to get off of the Interstates and see different parts of the country, we took Idaho Highway 22 and then A2 towards West Yellowstone, MT. Everything went fine until we came upon the last five to ten miles of the route. Blacktop turned to a gravel road. No where to go but continue. There was oncoming and same way traffic; for whatever random reason all vehicles were full-sized pickups or SUVs. Traffic wasn’t heavy but about the time the dust died away here came another vehicle, no lights and doing at least 50 mph. Visibility was very poor most of the time. I had all of our lights on and tried to hold our speed to 45 mph or less. We survived the event, finally getting to more decent highways. Upon arrival at our RV Park for the next couple of days, I noticed that two of three plastic ties holding the step cover on were obviously broken. I carry plastic ties in the tool bag so it was an easy fix. It didn’t dawn on me to look any further for other damage. About three days later, south of Yellowstone, during a rest stop, I was walking, stretching the legs, and got maybe forty feet away from the 5.0TA and behind it. There obviously was something drooping below the rear axle. A quick look revealed a plastic tubing from one end of the axle to the other end was hanging down, obviously containing parts of the braking system. The three of four heavy duty plastic ties holding the tubing tightly behind (and protected) the axle had obviously been broken by flying gravel about four days previously. I was lucky that I had not snagged that brake line on some low clearance curb or other hazard. A very quick fix was three bungee cords. I didn’t have heavy duty or plastic ties long enough to go around the axles. When I found an auto parts store, they had the heavy duty 12 inch long (a bit more than ¼ inch wide) plastic straps. The repairs were made and the remainder are part of the tool bag. I took the underside of the 2016 Escape 5.0TA for granted! I would venture to say this will likely apply to all models of Escape trailers. There are quite a few things underneath that can be damaged by flying gravel. If you encounter gravel, when you complete it, you had better stop and check the underneath. Be Safe!
ethanallen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:56 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Thanks for the info. At that speed you would have considerable stone being thrown back. If anyone is doing this regularly you might consider something like this:
Towtector Towing Protection System
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:32 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Sure wold be nice if there was a GPS that would warn you as soon as you program it about dirt roads. Setting it to shortest time bites you once in a while.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:54 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanallen2 View Post
Just returned from a trip to Idaho, Yellowstone National Park, and eventual return to San Marcos, CA. With a desire to get off of the Interstates and see different parts of the country, we took Idaho Highway 22 and then A2 towards West Yellowstone, MT. Everything went fine until we came upon the last five to ten miles of the route. Blacktop turned to a gravel road. No where to go but continue. There was oncoming and same way traffic; for whatever random reason all vehicles were full-sized pickups or SUVs. Traffic wasn’t heavy but about the time the dust died away here came another vehicle, no lights and doing at least 50 mph. Visibility was very poor most of the time. I had all of our lights on and tried to hold our speed to 45 mph or less. We survived the event, finally getting to more decent highways. Upon arrival at our RV Park for the next couple of days, I noticed that two of three plastic ties holding the step cover on were obviously broken. I carry plastic ties in the tool bag so it was an easy fix. It didn’t dawn on me to look any further for other damage. About three days later, south of Yellowstone, during a rest stop, I was walking, stretching the legs, and got maybe forty feet away from the 5.0TA and behind it. There obviously was something drooping below the rear axle. A quick look revealed a plastic tubing from one end of the axle to the other end was hanging down, obviously containing parts of the braking system. The three of four heavy duty plastic ties holding the tubing tightly behind (and protected) the axle had obviously been broken by flying gravel about four days previously. I was lucky that I had not snagged that brake line on some low clearance curb or other hazard. A very quick fix was three bungee cords. I didn’t have heavy duty or plastic ties long enough to go around the axles. When I found an auto parts store, they had the heavy duty 12 inch long (a bit more than ¼ inch wide) plastic straps. The repairs were made and the remainder are part of the tool bag. I took the underside of the 2016 Escape 5.0TA for granted! I would venture to say this will likely apply to all models of Escape trailers. There are quite a few things underneath that can be damaged by flying gravel. If you encounter gravel, when you complete it, you had better stop and check the underneath. Be Safe!
We picked up our Escape 19’ in May 2017. For our return home, I had planned to stop in Falls Creek Campground in Wells Gray Provincial Park, British Columbia. But at the last minute I decided to stay at the Dutch Lake RV Resort in Clearwater. I am so glad for this last minute decision because of the 67 km drive from the entrance of Wells Gray Provincial Park to Falls Creek Campground, for at least 40 km, the road is essentially a dirt and very bumpy road. I am not sure the trailer would have survived the trek. We did drive to the Falls Creek Campground without the trailer and I was forced to go to a car wash in Clearwater to remove an inch of dirt that covered the entire truck and every little crevice, including the engine compartment. I fear what all this fine dirt would have done to the AC, fridge vents, etc. not to mention the flying rocks hitting the under body of the trailer. But as you mention, once you enter these small country roads with a trailer, you may be condemned to continue due to difficulties in finding means to turn around. Disaster averted. Having said this, Wells Gray Provincial Park is a real gem.
Miguezc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:26 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I regularly travel gravel roads with my trailer, probably a few hundred kilometers every year. I had a bit of pitting on the front of my 19 after 6+ years of doing so, but nothing major. I have not looked under our 5.0TA for a bit, but no issues there.

Maybe the type of gravel used might make a difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguezc View Post
We picked up our Escape 19’ in May 2017. For our return home, I had planned to stop in Falls Creek Campground in Wells Gray Provincial Park, British Columbia. But at the last minute I decided to stay at the Dutch Lake RV Resort in Clearwater. I am so glad for this last minute decision because of the 67 km drive from the entrance of Wells Gray Provincial Park to Falls Creek Campground, for at least 40 km, the road is essentially a dirt and very bumpy road. I am not sure the trailer would have survived the trek. We did drive to the Falls Creek Campground without the trailer and I was forced to go to a car wash in Clearwater to remove an inch of dirt that covered the entire truck and every little crevice, including the engine compartment. I fear what all this fine dirt would have done to the AC, fridge vents, etc. not to mention the flying rocks hitting the under body of the trailer. But as you mention, once you enter these small country roads with a trailer, you may be condemned to continue due to difficulties in finding means to turn around. Disaster averted. Having said this, Wells Gray Provincial Park is a real gem.
You missed out staying at one of the nicest places to camp in BC, and pretty much my favourite. I love Wells Grey having spent about 30 nights in the backcountry there, and 20 nights in both Falls Creek and Clearwater campgrounds. I would not hesitate for a moment to take my trailer on that road, it is always in reasonable condition. I just drive for the conditions.

Having grown up driving gravel roads a lot, including all the roads in my home town, maybe I just know how to deal with them better. Folks raised in the big city may not have had this experience. I just loved drifting the corners with my rear wheel driven vehicles. So much fun.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I regularly travel gravel roads with my trailer, probably a few hundred kilometers every year. I had a bit of pitting on the front of my 19 after 6+ years of doing so, but nothing major. I have not looked under our 5.0TA for a bit, but no issues there.

Maybe the type of gravel used might make a difference?

You missed out staying at one of the nicest places to camp in BC, and pretty much my favourite. I love Wells Grey having spent about 30 nights in the backcountry there, and 20 nights in both Falls Creek and Clearwater campgrounds. I would not hesitate for a moment to take my trailer on that road, it is always in reasonable condition. I just drive for the conditions.

Having grown up driving gravel roads a lot, including all the roads in my home town, maybe I just know how to deal with them better. Folks raised in the big city may not have had this experience. I just loved drifting the corners with my rear wheel driven vehicles. So much fun.
Oh, I have lots of experience driving on rough roads. I live in Montreal after all.
Miguezc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:52 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:

We've done about 60-70 miles of washboard gravel since picking up our 5.0 TA in April. Usually at 25mph or less. Sometimes far less. After about 10 miles to our campsite this weekend my husband noticed one Allen screw loose on the awning and one came out completely. Easy enough fix and he says he'll use something called Blue Locktite to prevent recurrence.

Just something else to check....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2017, 10:58 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
I would venture to say this will likely apply to all models of Escape trailers. There are quite a few things underneath that can be damaged by flying gravel.
I've done the Alaska Hwy. and the Top of the World Hwy. in Alaska as well as Baja twice. Never broken a tie wrap or anything else. Only result was very minor chips in the wheel wells. Must have been a brittle bunch of tie wraps. I've had some that were weak compared to the usual ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguezc View Post
I am so glad for this last minute decision because of the 67 km drive from the entrance of Wells Gray Provincial Park to Falls Creek Campground, for at least 40 km, the road is essentially a dirt and very bumpy road.
But well worth the drive.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:11 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Driving south from Durango, Colorado into New Mexico felt like driving on gravel. The roads were so rough, I felt like I was going to get sea-sick from all the bucking! It was hard to believe the roads were really paved!��
Old 09-06-2017, 11:27 AM   #10

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
I'm guessing that, over time, some gravel roads could act like sandpaper, slowly removing the spray-on insulation underneath. I hope that's a wrong guess.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:56 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Thanks for the report, Ethan. I noticed recently that I've got this same tube hanging down on the right side of the trailer. Figured it was held on with the zips, but now I know what I'll need to do.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:04 PM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Have some nice chips in the lower front of the 5.0TA. As I do very little on dirt or gravel I surmise they are from asphalt roads. A small rock kicked up from the truck tires at 65 mph may well do more damage then gravel at 25, or whatever you folks drive them at. There are even a few on the face of the loft area.

After roughly 30k miles the spray foam does indeed look a bit sand blasted on all the forward facing surfaces. Throw in a semi retread and a hunk of 2/4 or some such and it's looking pretty beat up down there. There is however no damage to the trailer, just the foam.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:20 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Have some nice chips in the lower front of the 5.0TA. As I do very little on dirt or gravel I surmise they are from asphalt roads. A small rock kicked up from the truck tires at 65 mph may well do more damage then gravel at 25, or whatever you folks drive them at. There are even a few on the face of the loft area.

After roughly 30k miles the spray foam does indeed look a bit sand blasted on all the forward facing surfaces. Throw in a semi retread and a hunk of 2/4 or some such and it's looking pretty beat up down there. There is however no damage to the trailer, just the foam.
Interesting. My homemade under trailer insulation has stood up better. Probably due to the harder surface layer of the rigid insulation. That, and it doesn't extend down under the frame area where it's more vulnerable. I wasn't sure how it would stand up to a lot of gravel and rocks but I'm happy that, aside from being grubby, there's very little damage.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0009_resize.JPG   IMGP0008_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:16 PM   #14

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A/2015 21 coming in march
My experience with gravel roads breaking nylon straps .Started with my 1st trailer a 15-0.Stopped after towing down a g/road for about 10miles.Did my walk around,got to the rear of the trailer.Horror was all i could think.The whole wiring was dragging behind my trailer.The nylon straps were all missing.Several$ later & visions of George Garlins favorite saying .Erupted. Northern MB is no place to find anyone that knows about wiring trailers.Replaced everything & used the plumbing hanger.
So when i purchased my new 21 i requested,that this be addressed.NO NYLON STRAPS.1st trip out ,other than the p/up from ETI.Was back to MB,Thinking that everything should be good.Nota.Got to the fish camp,sitting around having a beer,buddy says your wires are hanging down.The only reason they didn't come down entirely was.1 nylon strap was left in tact.Lesson learned,check out before possesion.I now have the copper plated flat plumbers hanger material,under the trailer.With absolutely no problems,,,,
WLYBGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:37 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape 21 - Nov 2017 "Harvey"
I have had the experience of my brake wires hanging down after dirt roads on my prior camper. Some zip ties and its all good again. I am disappointed to hear the same thing can be expected on the Escape. Sure, it is an easy fix, but you don't use that standard for your tow vehicle, do you? You don't expect that after driving some gravel roads that you have to inspect your truck and re-attach some bits, do you? Watching that tow protector video, it seems the theory is that gravel literally cuts the nylon ties? I have wondered why the ties vanished when I didn't snag anything. So, bigger/heavier ties would help, but not permanently fix it. Perhaps put a nylon cover over the zip tie before placement?
So, I will be checking this out and looking for a permanent fix. Will likely require some protective sleeving and then metal brackets / hangers / straps. I have used plumber strap before, but it does not seemed to be designed for movement applications. It suffers metal fatigue very soon and snaps. The zip tie handles the movement fine, but becomes brittle in cold, can be melted, and now is apparently cut by gravel. Perhaps stainless hose clamps around the axle, but apply a braided wire loom to the clamp first to protect against gravel cutting.
I have ordered the foam insulation, primarily for its cold insulation benefit. But I also like the protective side benefit, even if it sacrifices itself in the process. I figure I can always buy some more in sort of spray can format and re-apply to fill in the missing chunks. Does anyone know exactly what foam product ETI is using?
jking1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:55 AM   #16

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jking1224 View Post
Perhaps stainless hose clamps around the axle, but apply a braided wire loom to the clamp first to protect against gravel cutting.
Would something like this work?
www.amazon.com/Strip-Stainless-Steel-Locking-Cable/dp/B004C3C22K
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:36 PM   #17

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A/2015 21 coming in march
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Perfect,snug up tight.With maybe a cushion [elec tape],btwn wires & axle.Trim the strap after to length..
WLYBGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:43 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Since I've bounced down my share of dirt/gravel roads, and have no protective undercarriage insulation well, I had to get down under there today to check out the strapping of my brake wires. Why take a chance? Found six cable ties... they all looked ok.

Before I could take the axel picture, in the words of the immortal Jimmy Durante, " ...somebody's always gotta get into da act!"
Attached Thumbnails
Undercarriage.jpg   Undercarriage1.jpg  
Old 09-07-2017, 06:51 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
looks like he is sticking his tongue out at you, Myron!!
Old 09-17-2017, 10:47 AM   #20

Very interesting thread! As we are picking up our 19 on Wednesday, and our plans include a good amount of main line logging road travel, I will be upgrading these fasteners so we don't need to think about it twice. Heavy zip ties with some form of sleeve should be reliable.
Zip ties are not only nice to use for their simple installation, they are also good for serviceability. a quick snip and they are out of the way, and pennies to replace.
I actually came upon this thread because I am looking for peoples' input on storage of things like cups/glasses/dishes in those logging road conditions. I have a few ideas that I might put into place so we don't arrive at the lake with a cabinet full of broken shards, but what have others discovered?
Brookfielder is offline   Reply With Quote