Has anyone downsized? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2019, 11:50 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Has anyone downsized?

[I'm curious as to whether anyone who likes the smaller trailers (13, 15, 17) has downsized from a larger RV and if so, why? Especially going to the As.

I upsized to my 15A from a Campster (13 feet, mostly bed and tiny kitchenette with icebox).]
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
We are planning on downsizing from a 19 to a 17A. The reasons...

1. We are minimalists. For example, we traveled through Africa and Europe for a month with a small carry-on and a backpack each. The 17A storage is lavish by comparison.
2. The shorter 17A trailer will better be able to be turned around in our driveway.
3. We found that we don't need a bathroom and grey tank. Our winter camping doesn't acommodate it well, and our summer camping now reflects the reduced tank usage.
4. We like the 4 inch tubular steel frame of the 17A.
5. We will like the lighter tow weight of the 17A compared to the 19.

How have you found downsizing to be?
Have fun in your travels,
David
DavidGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidGlen View Post
We are planning on downsizing from a 19 to a 17A. ...
How have you found downsizing to be?
Have fun in your travels,
David
I didn't, I started small. Unless you count originally wanting a 13!

The seller of mine went from a 15A to a 19 because to go to a 17b would have meant no more space except the bathroom. Going to a 19 also increased the dinette size so gave more interior space. Makes sense to me.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:53 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
We went from an 8' wide 23' long trailer to 17B. I'd never go back to an 8' wide trailer again. The 17B is exactly as wide as the tow vehicle which makes it much easier to navigate between obstacles. I no longer have a fear of entering a crowded parking lot. More space is awesome when you are parked, but on the road it's not so great.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:19 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
We went from a 26ft Holiday Rambler to this 19. It’s important that we are able to fit it next to our home and now if I grease it up, I can squeeze it between the house and fence.

We also re evaluated what we wanted in a trailer and what our purpose is for owning one. And that’s to spend time outside, eat, chill, play, cook outside. So didn’t have to be large. Also wanted quality,. Always worried about longevity of our previous stick builds but we never had problems with them.

We are a family of 4 with a yellow lab, so you can imagine it gets tight in there, so there are times I long for the larger trailer, but all and all, pretty happy.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:24 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
We only downsized our idea of what we wanted. We had viewed an Escape 19, but after considering what we wanted and how we camp, we selected a 17A, and after almost 4 years, it's still our perfect choice.
Here's a (now) long ago itemization of our reasons, and a year later evaluation: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...ater-8933.html
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote