Has Anyone tried a L shape dinette on the 19? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2019, 11:10 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape
Has Anyone tried a L shape dinette on the 19?

Hello folks,

I'm contemplating what kind of dinette would work best for my needs on the escape 19.

I was thinking a portable separate table would work better then the built in slide table that comes with the orgional design. Because then I can remove it when I need a little extra space when I'm not eating, or i can put the table outside to lay the grill on.

On the standard dinnet design the table is a bit too big for my needs. The U shape design lacks leg room.

The thought of a "L" shape dinette would work best because I can remove the table and enjoy the back couch and have a little extra space when first entering my camper with the end seat removed.. As showen in the attached photo, I'd like to get rid of the end seat by the door (seen in red) and add a portable table that I can buy off Amazon. Has anyone tried this idea?? Would ETI accommodate such request because the section I want removed I wonder if there is any important equipment underneath.
Attached Thumbnails
sketch-1564545581301.jpg   download.jpeg  
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
That table you picture. Where do your feet and legs go? And, your guest(s)?
Old 07-31-2019, 12:18 AM   #3

Its just me and my spouse who would be traveling in the camper..

With the "L" shape dinette design Im thinking of I could definaly accommodate 1 other guest (there is also enough space for them to sleep on the end couch once table is removed.

As for the table and leg space, it don't have to be that exact one I got showen in my first post.. other tables like this would also work and ofcourse the table would have to be small enough that you could move it around so you can get behind it.
Attached Thumbnails
sketch-1564549639900.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2019, 12:32 AM   #4

Well, we've spent several comfortable evenings chatting over dinner and playing cards with my buddy and his wife in his 19 front dinette. It never occurred to me that there was some problem with the arrangement.
I have a two-person dinette in my 17B and the 19 would be a huge improvement.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:38 AM   #5

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
To be honest, I have been thinking the same idea. Our 19 has the u shape dinette and sure doesn’t give a lot of room with the standard table. Our table is a round one, which works great with the slide going back and forth instead of sideways, but the legs of the table don’t leave much room for a lot of feet.
Would you go ahead with the L shape, which I won’t see a problem for ETI to install, please post some pictures of the result.
One suggestion: ask for a wider bench seat against the front wall. The standard one in the u dinette is quite narrow and not comfortable.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:03 AM   #6

What about the Lagun table mount then?
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...hts-12137.html
Old 07-31-2019, 01:27 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
On the 19 I view that seat by the door to be the handiest seat in the house.

If you want to delete it and that's not something the ETI will do it's very easy to delete yourself. Pretty simple framing and the flooring extends over to the wall.

Personally I'd delete the "U" shaped dinette, have a smaller table and keep the bench seat intact. But, whatever works for ya.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
What about the Lagun table mount then?
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...hts-12137.html
Wow, that lagun table mount is brilliant!! If I set that up with the L shape dinette I have in mind I'd have tons of extra space in my camper!!
Old 07-31-2019, 06:44 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I like the "u" in the 19 as pictured......
Old 07-31-2019, 07:21 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Having owned the 19 for over 6 years and using the standard setup, I really doubt I would change it. No U-shape either as it would reduce the number of folks that could comfortably sit there, and we often had another couple inside playing cards on a rainy night. On our 2 1/2 month trip this year we had two couples sitting in my brother's 19 with a standard dinette and enjoyed many a meal or card game there too.

We loved having the big table by the door and very much miss that in our 5.0TA. It was a great marshalling area to set items or food to go out or when coming back in.

I might look at a Springfield pedestal, maybe combined with a 4 way slide (though only two is needed) if I was ever going back to the 19. How can you not love a bid table. Though it could not be used outside, it is very easy to remove if you wanted no table for some reason. In our 5.0TA we just put the table down and have a huge lounge area with a bunch of pillows.

But, everyone has individual needs.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:37 AM   #11

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Hello folks,

I'm contemplating what kind of dinette would work best for my needs on the escape 19.

I was thinking a portable separate table would work better then the built in slide table that comes with the orgional design. Because then I can remove it when I need a little extra space when I'm not eating, or i can put the table outside to lay the grill on.

On the standard dinnet design the table is a bit too big for my needs. The U shape design lacks leg room.

The thought of a "L" shape dinette would work best because I can remove the table and enjoy the back couch and have a little extra space when first entering my camper with the end seat removed.. As showen in the attached photo, I'd like to get rid of the end seat by the door (seen in red) and add a portable table that I can buy off Amazon. Has anyone tried this idea?? Would ETI accommodate such request because the section I want removed I wonder if there is any important equipment underneath.
We have that exact table in our 5.0 and love it. There is no post hole in the floor to trip on and no mast on a bench to work around. 95% of the them it's stored away. Works great outdoors under the outside shower with the spigot to wash dishes. Terry and I have no problems with our feet with the table either. We were going to get the Lagun mount, but found we really don't want a table the vast majority of the time.

We have 150 nights in the camper so far and perhaps we'll change our mind in the future, but for now this table is all we want and need.

YMMV!

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-31-2019, 08:15 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I don't have the U-shaped dinette but my factory table was too large for us and I wanted to eliminate one of the two table posts. Replaced the table top with something smaller and easier to get around. Removing the curb side bench seat is an interesting idea however that also removes some valuable storage space.
Attached Thumbnails
Table2A.jpg  
Old 07-31-2019, 09:37 AM   #13

Trailer: R: Escape--2018 Escape 21
In our 21 we fabricated a 24" plywood round with matching laminate and trim, using the original pedestal design but the pedestals themselves are 3" shorter. It's very stable.

We also saved the original table for use as a sleeping platform if needed.
R:Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:17 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Keep in mind that the upper cabinet must remain as the end cap is screwed to the door frame and provides roof support.
It is a head wacker even with the seat below making you walk around it.
Attached Thumbnails
0EDDAC27-4DCF-46BE-A0CF-807A85EED459.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I don't have the U-shaped dinette but my factory table was too large for us and I wanted to eliminate one of the two table posts. Replaced the table top with something smaller and easier to get around. Removing the curb side bench seat is an interesting idea however that also removes some valuable storage space.
I love the smaller table in this photo! looks great. As for removing the cub side bench, I guess everyone is different as what's important to them. I think I would value walking space then storage and another seat I probably won't be using.

I believe the L shape is a flexible design. People have mentioned inviting another couple into your camper for a game of cards. Tho I do enjoy a good game of cards I also have to consider how often I'll be dong that.. for me and my spouse not every night. But I can however add a fold out chair on the other side of the portable table to add a 4th person. Then once the game is over and can put my table and chair outside my camper and enjoy my extra space
Old 07-31-2019, 11:20 AM   #16

You'll have to be very short to walk around under the upper cabinet, which is part of the structure shaping the trailer.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:22 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Keep in mind that the upper cabinet must remain as the end cap is screwed to the door frame and provides roof support.
It is a head wacker even with the seat below making you walk around it.
Ouch, this is true.. good point
Perhaps I'll some add some bright yellow caution tape on the corner as a warning?? I'm sure after I beat my head off it a few time I'll eventually remember its thar..lol
Old 07-31-2019, 11:37 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
We have that exact table in our 5.0 and love it. There is no post hole in the floor to trip on and no mast on a bench to work around. 95% of the them it's stored away. Works great outdoors under the outside shower with the spigot to wash dishes. Terry and I have no problems with our feet with the table either. We were going to get the Lagun mount, but found we really don't want a table the vast majority of the time.

We have 150 nights in the camper so far and perhaps we'll change our mind in the future, but for now this table is all we want and need.

YMMV!

Enjoy,

Perry
Yes we are definitely on the same page!
The idea of the table being multi purpose and not fixed, I feel has way more advantages
Like you mentioned about bringing it outside for dishes, great idea. And can also be useful for cooking outside as well!

I'm glad to hear the table in the photo doesn't affect leg room (they are skinny legs, not much of a hindrance).
Old 07-31-2019, 12:24 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
On the 19 I view that seat by the door to be the handiest seat in the house.

Ron
Me too.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:50 PM   #20

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 pickup October 21.
Myron, what is the wooden storage between the table & the window?
Very interesting!
How do you use it?
How is it attached?
Denver Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote