Hauling motorcycle/scooter - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2018, 08:09 AM   #1

Trailer: N/A
Hauling motorcycle/scooter

Has anyone hauled a small motorcycle or scooter on there Escape 19? Front or back of trailer?
willie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:42 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Met a Canadian couple with a 19 with two small Honda or Yamaha motorcycles. One was on the front truck bumper and the other was on the trailer's bike rack hitch.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:46 AM   #3

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by willie65 View Post
Has anyone hauled a small motorcycle or scooter on there Escape 19? Front or back of trailer?
Factory hitch is rated for 150 Lbs. While it is obviously able to handle more, legally ( accident for instance ) you would not want to exceed the rating.
And no way would I want more than 150 Lbs wagging the rear of my trailer . Added to the front means hitch weights over 450 Lbs or more normal with the added weight of the rack and motorcycle which may exceed the hitch rating.
If I had one I'd own a truck with enough capacity to haul the bike or scooter in the bed.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:49 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 foot
To answer your question, no, have I thought about, yes, many times.
After experiencing the beating the bicycles take at the rear with a decent bike rack, I wouldn't want to chance having anything heavier back there. I m sure you will find folks here who would.
I also wouldn't want to loose my storage box at the front, so that's not an option.
Having a motorcycle along is a big deal to me, as well as the bed storage in the Tundra.
I solved it by going with an above box deck, winch, good ramps, and a storage slider on the truck bed floor. The bike I take is a 260 pound dual sport. Is it all user friendly? Not in the least, but, I've got my bike with me.
Also had to add another leaf in the spring pack and install Timbren leaf bumpers.
I wish you success.....
RL Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:09 AM   #5

When you say above box ramp you're talking about a ramp above the truck tool box right? Would love to see a pic of that set up. Thanks
Old 04-16-2018, 11:49 AM   #6

Sorry, I don’t have a picture of the set up, but I will enclose a link to the site where I purchased the deck and the under deck roller box (called smart box) and they have some good pictures. You will get the idea.
TRUCKBOSS Decks - Whatever you ride, we carry.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:01 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
You might find this thread interesting. It has been done before, but I'm not advocating either way. FWIW I don't think that ETI will reinforce a rear hitch anymore to handle additional weight. Ours was reinforced, but it is a 2010.

www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8/has-anybody-put-a-motorcycle-rack-on-the-bumper-of-their-escape-2020.html
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:03 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Voltbike

Sounds like you might be flexible in your transportation. We selected electric bikes for a few reasons but the main ones are that you can drive it all day in a camp ground (or anywhere) an no one cares and that they are light weight. I was amazed the first time I got on one and twisted the hand throttle...great power. We selected the folding Voltbike as it can be stored in any SUV or pickup. The Aluminum frame is a great design and fits short or tall plus the 4 inch wide tries go great in the dirt. I like the idea of having the bikes safely secured in our vehicle and with us for when we go off in the truck to explore a town or beach is perfect for us. To be able to safely drive on the Hwy to various small towns in our truck then pull out the bikes and see the sights is what we wanted. Two of them will fit in the back seat area of an F150...folded or not. They would also fit inside the 19...if you wanted deal with that.
Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails
7D7DFF69-E62C-4343-9839-F5741CB11309.jpg   0D58C537-5BF3-4F52-AE0F-1E77CBA80762.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:49 PM   #9

I bought one similar, it was expensive. The battery wouldn’t take a charge after the first season. One year warranty, which I was outside of, and they wanted close to a $1000.00CDN for replacement. That was the end of that experiment.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:26 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I also think that electric bikes have a lot to offer. Not really a good substitute for a m/c but compared to carrying full size bikes on a rack behind the trailer, a really good alternative. I was never happy with bikes on a rack and the road grime was considerable.

The folding bikes fit in the back of the truck, covered with a soft cover which makes them pretty invisible and they're always available for jaunts around campgrounds or local exploring. A lot of the time I don't use the electric motor but it's nice to know that if we get overly optimistic on how far we roam we'll have help getting back.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0066_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:55 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
I got a real shock out of ur Voltbike.
Love those wide tires.
Has it lived up to ur expectations?
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:50 PM   #12

Thanks for all the great info guys. Yea, I'm starting to look at those electric bikes more seriously
Old 02-16-2019, 11:31 AM   #13

Trailer: TBD
Here is another eBike alternative.
https://www.radpowerbikes.com/?ads_c...RoCcQcQAvD_BwE
Old 02-16-2019, 12:08 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
It is another option...

Here in Canada the folding Rad bike is $300 more than the folding Voltbike. The Rad does not come with fenders, rear rack or free motorcycle helmet. The fenders, rack and helmet is about $300.

$600 more to get the same basic components is a little much.

Rad does have free shipping and Voltbike charges $49 for 1 or 2 bikes. On major holidays Voltbike has been known to wave the shipping.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:31 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Price seems right but you'd have to supply your own web-straps.
Attached Thumbnails
Rack1.jpg  

Tags
motorcycle, rear hitch, scooter